Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Green Power

Options
CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
edited April 2023 in EggHead Forum
In the middle of another refueling outage. This photo shows fuel assembly number 216 out of 217 being reloaded in to the core (the vertical mast coming down from the top is part of the refueling machine - it is used to pick up and lower the fuel assemblies - always under water to provide shielding).

The bright shiny assemblies are new, the others are reused. Each fuel assembly is used for 3 cycles and one third are changed out each outage. Each fuel assembly is 14’ tall, and about 12” square. 

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    Nice pic.  How frequently are you in a refueling outage and about how long is the plant off-line for one?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    So this picture is taken inside a core?  Core is about 16 feet in diameter? Thanks for the pic.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • CTMike
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Nice pic.  How frequently are you in a refueling outage and about how long is the plant off-line for one?
    Refueling outages happen every 18 months. We are a two unit site so the second unit has an outage this fall. Outages typically last 28 - 35 days or so depending on the scheduled work. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    So this picture is taken inside a core?  Core is about 16 feet in diameter? Thanks for the pic.
    The ID of the vessel is a little over 14’, but then the core basket (that forging inside the vessel that makes a round shape accept square assemblies) takes up a little more room. 

The photo was actually taken from a video camera looking down in to the vessel through a required
    minimum of at least 23’ of water above the fuel. 

The large round opening on the right above the fuel is one of two hot legs (the other is 180 degrees out) where the heated coolant ( ~ 617 F) exits towards the steam generators. 

This particular design has 4 cold legs where the cold water ( ~ 557 F) comes back in to the vessel from the steam generators and the pumps. It then flows down between the vessel wall and core basket, under the fuel, up through the coolant channels (removing the heat) and back out the hot legs. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,303
    Options
    Have you looked at Canadian CANDU reactors? Their rods are horizontal and they can be replaced one at a time without shutting down.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Have you looked at Canadian CANDU reactors? Their rods are horizontal and they can be replaced one at a time without shutting down.
    With really long tongs!

Clinton, Iowa
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,092
    Options
    As amazing as nuclear power is, I am astonished we have cameras that work in such a hostile environment for an extended period of time.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • CTMike
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I actually went to a class with a Scottish dude who works at Bruce, and he showed us a video of the CANDU refueling process - pretty cool idea. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    edited April 2023
    Options
    As amazing as nuclear power is, I am astonished we have cameras that work in such a hostile environment for an extended period of time.
    So this camera is sitting above 12’ above the surface of the water, which is at least 23’ over the top of the fuel. Water is a great shielding medium:
    - Tenth Thickness (amount of shielding required to reduce a radiation field to 1/10th original value) for neutrons in water is about 10”, and for gammas is about 24”. 
    All this to say that the environment this camera is in isn’t very harsh at all. 
    There are other cameras we put down in the water to inspect the fuel during the core offload and they are much closer to the fuel. Needless to say they have a pretty short life span. 
    To put the radiation field in perspective, if you were to hug a fuel assembly that has spent a cycle in operation, you would receive a lethal dose within seconds. Whereas a new fuel assembly puts off next to nothing. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,092
    Options
    CTMike said:
    So this camera is sitting above 12’ above the surface of the water, which is at least 23’ over the top of the fuel. Water is a great shielding medium:
    - Tenth Thickness (amount of shielding required to reduce a radiation field to 1/10th original value) for neutrons in water is about 10”, and for gammas is about 24”. 
    All this to say that the environment this camera is in isn’t very harsh at all. 
    There are other cameras we put down in the water to inspect the fuel during the core offload and they are much closer to the fuel. Needless to say they have a pretty short life span. 
    To put the radiation field in perspective, if you were to hug a fuel assembly that has spent a cycle in operation, you would receive a lethal dose within seconds. Whereas a new fuel assembly puts off next to nothing. 
    Thank you for the explanation, I did not realize water was so effective.  I think of radiation in terms of the visible spectrum and if I can see through it, it must not be safe.  Academically, I know that is wrong.  Simply put plexiglass between an IR detector and the heat source and you will see that, but still seeing something so vilified is awe inducing.

Funny about new vs. spent fuel rods.  I would have bet $1M new was more dangerous. 
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,764
    Options
    the reactor we had on campus at u lowell  had horizontal rods, and really long tongs. maybe not so safe, they had a wooden plank on top of the swimming pool for access with the tongs. i still cant believe they let students out on that thing
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    the reactor we had on campus at u lowell  had horizontal rods, and really long tongs. maybe not so safe, they had a wooden plank on top of the swimming pool for access with the tongs. i still cant believe they let students out on that thing
    They probably couldn’t afford a Geiger counter….🤪
    Options
    That’s cool Mike.  I’m a proponent of nuclear power, it’s another of those technologies that have been held back by populism.  
    Options
    I love this kind of stuff, @CTMike
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Agree with above sentiments. Love seeing the insider pics.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    CTMike said:
    The studs thread in to the flange in the vessel and protrude through the head flange shown above. A washer and nut are installed and the stud is hydraulically stretched about 50- thousandths of an inch with an tensioner and the nut is torqued to 100 ft-lbs. The resulting torque is over 1M ft-lbs when the tensioner is released. 
    I had to read that a couple times before I got it.  I'm assuming doing it this way cuts down on friction/wear between the threads, by not torquing the nuts down directly?  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,658
    Options
    Botch said:
    CTMike said:
    The studs thread in to the flange in the vessel and protrude through the head flange shown above. A washer and nut are installed and the stud is hydraulically stretched about 50- thousandths of an inch with an tensioner and the nut is torqued to 100 ft-lbs. The resulting torque is over 1M ft-lbs when the tensioner is released. 
    I had to read that a couple times before I got it.  I'm assuming doing it this way cuts down on friction/wear between the threads, by not torquing the nuts down directly?  
    Or you would need a cheater pipe a mile long to hit a million foot pounds?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    The shielding effect of water has been addressed by @CTMike above and it is a great moderator.  From my limited perspective, at a macro level the basic refueling process has been used and refined independent of the size of the project for several decades. 
    Now do downsize and put in a car... =)
    But...we do that sort of power supply for things in space today. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Stupid question here - is a steam circuit the only way to harness the energy?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Legume said:
    I have heard of designs that use sodium as a primary loop coolant.  
    Options
    @nolaegghead - Yep, Rickover and his team were test running a sodium cooled submarine reactor power plant in the 1950's.  Too many challenges back then although the Soviets also went down that road.
    The reactor coolant medium is under high pressure so it is always in a liquid form.  The exchange of the hot pressurized coolant energy to a power generating system is thru a steam generator, scaled by the power of the reactor.  FWIW-
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Thanks - that's essentially what I was asking - it's alway going to be heat that you start with and have to convert.
  • CTMike
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    The shielding effect of water has been addressed by @CTMike above and it is a great moderator.  From my limited perspective, at a macro level the basic refueling process has been used and refined independent of the size of the project for several decades. 
    Now do downsize and put in a car... =)
    But...we do that sort of power supply for things in space today. 
    For those wondering what Cap meant by moderator, neutrons born from fission are called “fast neutrons” as they have a high kinetic energy, but U-235 is a thermal fuel - meaning it has a high microscopic cross section for absorption for thermal neutrons (kinetic energy of less than 1 electron-volt), but a low cross section for absorbing fast neutrons. The purpose of the moderator is too slow down, or thermalize those fast neutrons so they become thermal. This happens via a process of collisions where a fast neutron will hit another atom in the water (moderator) - either the hydrogen or an oxygen atom, thus imparting some of its energy to said atom. Think one billiard ball striking another on a pool table. Eventually after enough collisions the neutron is thermalized and is able to go on and cause another fission - if it doesn’t leak out of the core, get absorbed by the control rods, or get absorbed by a poison (poison is an isotope that has a large cross section for absorbing a neutron but doesn’t fission) such as Xe-135, Sm-149, B-10, etc.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Legume said:
    I have heard of designs that use sodium as a primary loop coolant.  
    There is currently a lot of interest and design work going in to Thorium salt reactors. Thorium is much more plentiful than Uranium, decay products have a much shorter half-life, and the entire cycle is much more efficient as it operates at a much higher temperature than light water reactors. A molten salt is used as the coolant, and one of the issues to overcome is the corrosion that comes along with using a salt. 

Bill Gates is backing one of the projects via a company called TerraPower. There is also a number of small modular reactors (SMR) in the design process and li ending process. One use for SMRs is to power remote towns in Alaska and the like. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,658
    Options
    https://world-nuclear-news.org/Articles/US-Air-Force-confirms-site-for-first-microreactor

I heard about this one but I wasn’t aware they were planning to use them in the sticks. The government builds power stations in rural Alaska and unfortunately they slowly go offline because the locals have no idea how to maintain them.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• CTMike
    Options
    https://world-nuclear-news.org/Articles/US-Air-Force-confirms-site-for-first-microreactor

I heard about this one but I wasn’t aware they were planning to use them in the sticks. The government builds power stations in rural Alaska and unfortunately they slowly go offline because the locals have no idea how to maintain them.
    That wouldn’t happen with a nuclear reactor as there are strict NRC requirements for staff manning, training, etc. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Whoever said/thought this is just a bbq forum?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.