Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket Cook

Options
So my first brisket cook is underway. She went on the XL about 30 min ago with the egg holding about 280. Prime whole packer from Costco that thawed over the past week in the fridge.

The trim was a little daunting at first. I thought of Mike Tyson, everyone has a plan until they are punched in the face. I cut my finger about 4min into the trim process and had SWMBO the nurse render first aid

This is also my first over night cook so I’m curious how this will go. I have a probe on the grate and one in the thickest part of the brisket. I plan to wrap her at 170 and the probe alarm is set. I’ll keep you posted
XL BGE
Plainfield, IL.

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Good luck sir. Standing by.... Until I fall asleep.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    I would take that outcome every time.  Nailed it.
    Now that you have cooked one, time to plan for the next cook. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    That looks great. One thing I learned to up the juiciness is to inject with vegetable broth in the final hours of the cook (either just before you wrap in foil/paper, or in last hour if you go naked).
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,947
    Options
    That looks about a million times better than my first brisket cook.  Nicely done!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ragingirishman2
    Options
    Thanks for all the compliments compliments and kind words. So much good advice and guidance from this group, especially from @lousubcap
    XL BGE
    Plainfield, IL.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    You did that brisky proud!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    For a new gasket . . . reach out to RRP on this forum
    Brisky looks great 
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Well played Sir. Time to dig into all the various recipes for brisket, cause the next step is cooking brisket to keep on hand for all the various yummies that brisket goes into. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.