Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Belly Goodness

Options
Teefus
Teefus Posts: 1,208
edited March 2023 in EggHead Forum
Based on feedback from the Eggers here I decided to try pork belly low and slow. It was a triumph.

I started with about half a skin off belly. There was still a good layer of fat on the skin side to I scored and salted it for a few hours to pull some moisture out. After about 8 hours I washed it off and covered both sides with "The BBQ Rub" from Killer Hogs and let it sit covered overnight.

Yesterday morning I got my fire going (Rockwood) and roasted it over a drip pan at 275° for four hours. I spritzed the top every hour or so with a mix of pineapple juice, cider vinegar, and water (equal parts). When it hit 160° internal I foil wrapped in a bath of BBQ Rub and Sweet Baby Ray's. It spent another 90 minutes in foil braising and rendering the fat. I unwrapped and placed back on the grill with a coating of sauce. It took about 30 minutes to set up nice and firm. After a 20 minute rest I carved for service. It was fork tender and delicious. I do a pretty good rack of ribs and I have to say I preferred the belly.

As a side dish I did braised cabbage wedges in a tomato sauce made with chicken stock, tomato paste, cumin seeds, dry mustard, pepper flakes, and sliced sweet onions. Basically this recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H7AV9mgsfU
Michiana, South of the border.

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    That looks Spectacular 😋
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Teefus
    Options
    I just finished repeats for lunch. It's just as good the second day.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Really nice cook!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • KimberlyO
    KimberlyO Posts: 48
    Options
    Yum!
    O'Fallon, MO - LBGE 2015
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Great cook right there.  That money shot belongs in a magazine.  Sweet bark/cracklin as well, 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,055
    Options
  • JohnfromKentucky
    Options
    Teefus said:

I started with about half a skin off belly. 

When it hit 160° internal I foil wrapped in a bath of BBQ Rub and Sweet Baby Ray's. It spent another 90 minutes in foil braising and rendering the fat. I unwrapped and placed back on the grill with a coating of sauce.
    First, that looks amazing!  But I have 2 questions:

What do you mean by half a skin off belly?

And whenever I wrapped ribs in foil, it tends to burn and not do so well. Do you have so much sauce that it doesn't burn off?
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Nice looking cook!  congrats
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Teefus said:

I started with about half a skin off belly. 

When it hit 160° internal I foil wrapped in a bath of BBQ Rub and Sweet Baby Ray's. It spent another 90 minutes in foil braising and rendering the fat. I unwrapped and placed back on the grill with a coating of sauce.
    First, that looks amazing!  But I have 2 questions:

What do you mean by half a skin off belly?

And whenever I wrapped ribs in foil, it tends to burn and not do so well. Do you have so much sauce that it doesn't burn off?
    I read it twice, as well.  I assume he meant a half a belly, with all of the skin off.  It wouldn't make much sense to take half of the skin off a whole belly.

Around here, it is hard to find skin on bellies, and even harder to find whole bellies.  Most are half, skin-off bellies.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Teefus
    Options
    Yup. I got a seven pound belly from Costco. The skin had been removed. I used half on this cook. Sorry for the grammatical jumble.

@JohnfromKentucky - After braising in the foil to tenderize and render the fat I put the meat back on the Egg and sauced it up. It baked at 250° - 275° for 30 minutes or so and the sauce set up nice and tight. No problems with burning. It just doesn't run that hot at this stage.