Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Repair a thirteen-yr-old LED TV?

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,467
I've been having issues with my 13-yr-old LG LED TV, I can't watch anything on my disk player, nor my Roku (both thru my receiver) nor thru my OTA antenna (directly to the TV).  Was able to (barely) watch the AFC and NFC games last Sunday; by Monday morning, I had nothing.  I plugged an older Amazoid Firestick into the TV's HDMI4 port, nothing.  97% sure the TV is fried, have one more thing to check first. 
My question:  Is it worth seeing if I can get this fixed?  I've given up on most electronics repairs about 20 years ago, but  I remember Carey found a flatscreen TV curbside and was able to get it running again on his own.  What do you guys think?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Buy the replacement and then have at it.  Confident it wasn't the other electronics?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Parts for a model that old should be cheap if you find them.   It’s just board replacement, use the internet to diagnose which board it is based on symptoms. 

That said, new TeeVees are so damn cheap now, and the quality is so good, buy a new one. 

Call me if you want to discuss 
    55 inch Samsung TVs are about $300 at Costco these days.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    The cost of having it repaired in a shop is most likely not worth it.  Repairing it yourself may be worth it if you know for sure (or can find out) what the problem is.  Replacing a board is easy but it can get expensive if you purchase one and it wasn’t the problem.  Very often the problem is the backlights (LEDs) or a fried capacitor (they are often easy to spot).

Options
    Digital electronics might be in a confused state.  Try disconnecting power for an hour or so.  It's an outside chance you'll get lucky and is free.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Since you’re in the Everyday is Saturday league, I say go for it. Figure it out, fix it, and be proud of yourself. 

As I type this, a dude is taking apart the pool filter to replace the grids and stuff. I’ve done all of the pool maintenance myself for the past decade (motors, plumbing, etc.), but realized that given what my hourly rate is, I was losing money.  Cost out the door for someone else to do it is 2x what the parts cost. A small part of me died when I called the guy to come and do his thing, but I’ll get over it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I have fixed 5 or 6 flat screen TVs through the years.  Most of the time it is the power supply board (capacitors are the weak link as per Paq-Man).  The main board will lose the ability to process the hdmi input if there is a big power surge from the HDMI source.  Depending on the model there can be 2-5 boards.  I have bought power supply boards for $25-75.
    Options
    Thanks guys. Yeah, I did some reading up on reviews, and advice on Crutchfield's site, and apparently I got a lot more years out of the old girl than are expected; repair is now off the table (and I don't have the skills/confidence to DIY). My folks got 37 years out of their CRT "console" TV, not one repair during that time, and I had almost as good of luck with my own CRT (which bounced around the country many times).  Guess the new stuff just isn't built to that standard anymore.  
    The LG C2 55" is $1,300, and the local bestbuy also has an "open-box" unit for $900. I want to do some further reading up on the Sony Bravias (which also looked fantastic) but I do know now that it will be an OLED, and not the Samsung "QLED"; a good friend on a Home Theater forum bought a Samsung, it failed under warranty, and it took him over 26 hours on hold and many weeks to get a refund.  Eff that, sounds like siriusXM.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• nealmgb
    Options
    I got a 65” Bravia XR A95K 4K HDR OLED on Black Friday.  Sony’s flagship TV.  Picture quality is outstanding.  Pricey but worth it.
    LBGE St. Louis MO
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    nealmgb said:
    I got a 65” Bravia XR A95K 4K HDR OLED on Black Friday.  Sony’s flagship TV.  Picture quality is outstanding.  Pricey but worth it.
    Thanks! The A80K was the one I was looking at, 55".  

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Bigger is better (insert sophomoric joke here)
    Options
    I took a chance with a super cheap Vizio tv from Costco a couple years ago and I don’t regret it.  It was on clearance so it brought the price in the lower tier of the extended warranty pricing.  Costco is great because they also extend the manufacturer warranty.

Another advice is don’t overthink it with all the fancy features of smart tvs (unless you really plan to use them).  Chances are you will he connecting something else to the tv and won’t even use the smart features.  In my case I use Apple TV.

Good timing for super bowls sales!

Options
    My current 47" and CC speaker are both wall-mounted, with minimal clearance between the two.  I can bump up to 55" because the current TV has a 5" bottom bezel, the new sets are 1/4" or less.  Anything bigger would become more of a project.  

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I do sometimes laugh at the folks in the Costco parking lot who are attempting to fit a gigantic tv set box into their vehicle, only to realize there’s no chance in heLL it’ll fit.  
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,345
    Options
    Just sometimes???

You're a kinder person than I as I always laugh (well ok...it's occasionally more of a chuckle).
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Just sometimes???

You're a kinder person than I as I always laugh (well ok...it's occasionally more of a chuckle).
    Oof I phrased that poorly.  Meant to indicate that I don’t see that every trip to Costco, but only on occasion.  But when I do see it, yeah, I laugh.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    very nice, @Botch - you didn’t skimp!
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Nice! I almost went with the Sony OLED a couple years ago but with my viewing pattern was too concerned about burn-in.
    They do have a gorgeous picture!!

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Nice! I almost went with the Sony OLED a couple years ago but with my viewing pattern was too concerned about burn-in.

You must use it in slideshow mode for all of your cooking pics.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Damn.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    HeavyG said:

would have been funny if you finally posted a pic here and fox news alert was permanently bunt into the screen =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:

would have been funny if you finally posted a pic here and fox news alert was permanently bunt into the screen =)

Fox?? I'm a NewsMax kind of guy!

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,038
    Options
    I have multiple TVs lying around.  You are welcome to have them, pickup is on you though.  Driving to Southern AZ might not be worth it.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS