Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plumbing question

Options
13»

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,537
    Options
    danhoo said:
    Tank water heaters make a mess when the tank fails. Mines in the garage so it just soaks any boxes on the floor. 

I went tankless last time my tank water heater failed. 
    +1
    fwiw, our tankless heater will be 18 yo this summer, touch wood. It was kind of bleeding edge in 2005 with numerous installation mistakes because it was a rush job and I didn't know better, but we learned to live with it  :)
    canuckland
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I did this after the first replacement valve was leaking and it was 120F, so it didn't seem to be just runaway heating - which is why it must be related to line pressure or pressure relief tank not being able to take up the slack.  That's what led me to replace the tank which did seem to have a failed bladder. 
  • Legume
    Options
    danhoo said:
    Tank water heaters make a mess when the tank fails. Mines in the garage so it just soaks any boxes on the floor. 

I went tankless last time my tank water heater failed. 
    +1
    fwiw, our tankless heater will be 18 yo this summer, touch wood. It was kind of bleeding edge in 2005 with numerous installation mistakes because it was a rush job and I didn't know better, but we learned to live with it  :)
    This is the plan, electric tankless, but not until I have solar installed and need a new electric panel, etc., so I really don't want to replace it now, just need it for another year maybe.  The government is going to take the gas ones away 🤣
  • Canugghead
    Options
    I’m sure the plumber will take care of you. Down the road if/when they ban manufacture and sale of gas appliances, hopefully they won’t/can’t ban use of what you already own, time to stockpile! 

Sorry to thread jack again, your thread just got me off my a** to fix a hot water related problem that developed recently… been noticing the hot water was hot after running the recirc pump but turned cold mid use, I suspected the check valve was stucked open and cold water was entering the hot line. Opening the bleed nut on the check valve didn’t help so I gingerly removed the top with double wrench - the swing gate dropped loose, problem solved!

Questions for @Roadpuke, should I have installed the valve vertically and let gravity assist in closing the swing gate? is there a preventative treatment to reduce the likelihood of it stuck open again? 

Going forward I’m going to check the valve monthly: shut off the hot water supply to the faucet, if water still comes out at hot it’s from the cold line via the stuck check valve. Fixing it again shouldn’t be intimidating and easier since I made sure the top is not over tightened.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Apology to OP if my post ^^^ was the last straw on the Buffalo’s back.
    canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,128
    Options
    tsk tsk tsk
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    Install a spring check instead of the swing check. Horizontal as you have is the preferred orientation on the swing check. Looks like you’re returning through the cold under a sink? Do you like that set up where cold is hot for a awhile on start up.or at least that’s what it looks like from the partial photo.
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @Roadpuke0
    Thanks, I learned the hard way that swing gate valve is not as reliable as spring loaded. When I did the install the only 1/2" sweat check I could find was swing gate type, didn't want to mess around with 3/4-1/2 reducers, as an amateur I figured more joints mean more points of failure  :) At this point I'm going to stick with what I've got until it's irrepairable. 

You're correct about my configuration. Again, as an amateur I didn't want to run pipes through walls and between floors for the recirc pump. I picked a least used washroom sink farthest from the tankless heater to pump hot water into the cold line, it's also directly above the most used kitchen sink. The pump is powered by a wifi plug and runs on demand via Google/Alexa. Here's my setup, please don't laugh, lol  :)

canuckland
  • Legume
    Options
    Main pressure reducer for the house is shot.  Pressure inside the house is 160.  We have a separate line and reducer for the irrigation and that seems to be what the outside hose bibs are running off of, which is why I was getting 75psi at the hose bibs.

New pressure reducer being installed now.
  • Legume
    Options
    @Roadpuke0

New valve failed.  Plumber getting another.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @Legume hope all is well with your water heater now. Apology for threadjacking again...

@Roadpuke0 Darn pos swing gate check valve acted up again. Going to bite the bullet and replace it with spring check valve. If I may can I pick your brain again please? Of these two valves that are available in my market, which one do you prefer, or is there another brand that you recommend? TIA

https://www.plimptonhills.com/product/5a7a8ecae4b0b6c2a3ebd66c

https://www.amazon.ca/Midline-Valve-372D234-Prevention-Connections/dp/B088LP4ZFB/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3DLXSPXO7LW99&keywords=midline+spring+check+valve+1%2F2+sweat&qid=1676962322&sprefix=midline+spring+check+valve+1%2F2+sweat%2Caps%2C112&sr=8-2

For now I've shut off the cold water to prevent it from entering the hot line. Fortunately that sink is seldom used and not for long each time, so we're good with having access to hot water only.
    canuckland
  • jonessteave
    jonessteave Posts: 78
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Can someone recommend a plumber for a cracked waste water pipe? re-leveling a steam heating pipe? and look into another misc water pipe leak detection Basingstoke. issue? Has anyone used Belsito Plumbers? I am looking for a good (cheap) price. Thank you!
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Always a link. Thanks for the bump though, I switched to spring gate valve and it has been working like a charm.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    oooops, I meant spring check valve
    canuckland