Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Biden's Classified Doc Problem

Options
News broke this morning that in addition to the two places his lawyers had already found some classified documents from his time as VP under Obama, there were classified docs found at his house in Delaware.  Face palm.  

I think there's still plenty we don't know about what has happened here, and I will hold off on final judgment until the DOJ investigation completes, but... my goodness.  At minimum, this all signals a lack of care with classified documents that is personally pretty hard to fathom.  There's really no excuse for it.  Between this stuff with Biden and what has happened with Trump, it seems to me that however the executive branch has been managing op-sec around classified info is very inadequate.  The most charitable explanation for what happened with Biden involves classified docs apparently just having been left out in places in his office and then accidentally packed up by a staffer.  There is no universe where something like that should be remotely possible.

Regardless of where your views fall politically, I can promise you that both of these incidents have caused real damage to our national security.   I can’t imagine any halfway intelligent human source in another country being interested in talking to us anytime soon after all of this.
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Well said.  This signals a systemic issue with how op-sec is handled within the executive branch.  Truly disgusting.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Certainly an embarrassment for Biden. My guess is that, if looked at thoroughly enough, this is not unusual with departing administrations. A lot of stuff gets packed up and moved out and I'm betting that some stuff like this just gets missed by whoever is loading up boxes. The difference with Trump tho is that he seemed to intentionally want to keep many of the documents he had in his possession.
    What we don't know, and likely never will, is just how "Classified" all these documents really are. It is widely known (and has been for decades) that too many documents are given various levels of "Classified" status - overclassification is a real thing.
    What has been needed for decades is a serious look at what is given classified status, and who has access to it/them. I think that anytime you have given SCI clearance to over a million people as we have done that there are going to be "chinks in the armor".
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    im surprised they havent looked under hunters bed......well not really, no one wants that job......

so do we start impeachment hearings again, seems to be trending
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    And Garland has just announced a special counsel to look into this.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    edited January 2023
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Certainly an embarrassment for Biden. My guess is that, if looked at thoroughly enough, this is not unusual with departing administrations. A lot of stuff gets packed up and moved out and I'm betting that some stuff like this just gets missed by whoever is loading up boxes. The difference with Trump tho is that he seemed to intentionally want to keep many of the documents he had in his possession.
    What we don't know, and likely never will, is just how "Classified" all these documents really are. It is widely known (and has been for decades) that too many documents are given various levels of "Classified" status - overclassification is a real thing.
    What has been needed for decades is a serious look at what is given classified status, and who has access to it/them. I think that anytime you have given SCI clearance to over a million people as we have done that there are going to be "chinks in the armor".
    There are absolutely a lot of differences between the two cases - Biden and Trump - that will inform how things move forward from here.  

Some of the documents were classified as SCI.  Sure, some things do get overclassified.  But if they're rated SCI I personally think the likelihood that they actually contain info we'd legitimately be concerned about being released is rather high.  Were it just confidential or OUO it would be a very different story.  

Regardless, these files are clearly marked.  You can't miss them.  A "lot of stuff" getting packed up may be what happened here, but the fact that these things were mixed in with other "stuff" is in and of itself problematic.  There's just an overall lack of care here you won't find in other organizations that handle classified info.  That's a real issue that I hope gets addressed, although with our current government I'm not optimistic.   
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Handling classified material for us regular folks seems way more controlled.

Docs are stored in secure locations, cannot be removed with signing out, are rigorously tracked.  I could see this happening with "working papers", but with finalized reports this is unfathomable to me without willful negligence or ignorance.

There should, at a min, be handlers for these executives whose sole job is tracking and maintaining control of these docs.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Docs are stored in secure locations, cannot be removed with signing out, are rigorously tracked.  I could see this happening with "working papers", but with finalized reports this is unfathomable to me without willful negligence or ignorance.

There should, at a min, be handlers for these executives whose sole job is tracking and maintaining control of these docs.

Well, Chelsea Manning, Reality Winner, Edward Snowden, John Walker, etc. would beg to differ.

I will certainly agree that "something should be done".
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

Well, Chelsea Manning, Reality Winner, Edward Snowden, John Walker, etc. would beg to differ.

Those folks fall under my statement; "unfathomable without willful negligence"

They all actively sought to steal classified docs.  Theirs was not an accident.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

I was using them under your "Docs are stored in secure locations, cannot be removed with signing out, are rigorously tracked." statement.
    At this point tho, can we automatically assume that Trump/Biden were in possession of subject documents "by accident"? In at least one case we know that is not true.

Regardless, "something should be done".

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

I was using them under your "Docs are stored in secure locations, cannot be removed with signing out, are rigorously tracked." statement.
    At this point tho, can we automatically assume that Trump/Biden were in possession of subject documents "by accident"? In at least one case we know that is not true.

Regardless, "something should be done".
    I agree completely, Trump's case falls clearly into "willfully" category.   Especially since after months of very clear requests it took a raid to get them back.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    I’ll get some popcorn and watch the news tonight . Actually the comments section here is even funnier.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I’ll get some popcorn and watch the news tonight . Actually the comments section here is even funnier.
    Is it too much to hope they both go to jail?  Like all the Illinois Governors?
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    We can only hope. Unlikely though.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    In the garage.....next to the recyclable paper bin...nobody would look there
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Intent is a factor that can make it egregious in the eyes of the law.  If it was truly accidental, it was still negligent.  I think the Justice Dept is doing the right thing by assigning an independent investigation.

In both cases, (and all cases, really), I think the law should be followed.
    Options
    The opening we all need for Joe to announce he won’t run for president again. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Worse than Watergate.....
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Well neither has been found guilty of committing a crime yet, so perhaps we should wait to see if that occurs.  
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Well neither has been found guilty of committing a crime yet, so perhaps we should wait to see if that occurs.  
    This just seals the deal that trump will not be found guilty. Don't believe he was going to be anyways. Biden is now doomed with theories as what he was doing with hunter overseas. Not a great way to end a long career in politics
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    This just seals the deal that trump will not be found guilty.
    I wouldn’t bet on that.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    I wouldn’t bet on that.
    At this point I would not bet against it. We don't really know what they have. Let's go with the crazy theories that will grow from this like how Obama was involved etc...
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I wouldn’t bet on that.
    At this point I would not bet against it. We don't really know what they have. Let's go with the crazy theories that will grow from this like how Obama was involved etc...
    I’m perfectly fine waiting until both Special Counsels complete their work to draw any big conclusions, one way or the other.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Nobody really wants Biden to run. This will just make things more interesting 
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Nobody really wanted him to run in 2020, and yet… here we are.  
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Nobody really wanted him to run in 2020, and yet… here we are.                                    I think that was a sinfeild episode, run on nothing and hide and become president
    fukahwee maine

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Intent is a factor that can make it egregious in the eyes of the law.  If it was truly accidental, it was still negligent.   
    This.
    I had the misfortune of being assigned not one, but two, missing classified incidents while I was Active Duty.  The first one, a middle manager had signed out a document, copied it, then logged the copy back into the safe when he was done marking it up; but he hadn't signed the original back in.  It was discovered missing during the next inventory check.  He walked me through that day as best as he could remember, showed me how he copied it, but he wasn't sure how/when he'd lost track of the original.  The copier had one of those spring-loaded lids you could lift, hinged in the back; on a hunch he and I slid the copier away from the wall, and the original was behind it, on the floor.  Negligent, but no intent, and he kept his job and got some kind of reprimand.
    The second, another class. doc was missing from the Head Secretary's safe during another Inventory.  I attempted to interview her and she started yelling at me, then crying and stormed off.  I had the Director open the safe and did my own Inventory, the doc wasn't there.  The bottom drawer had one of those sliding dividers moved forward a bit; I reached behind it, and found the missing document, all crumbled up.  I completed the inventory and wrote up my report.  She got fired; because she had crumbled it up intentionally (just didn't want to deal with it?  No idea).  Unpleasant tasks for sure.
    So, yes, intent is everything, which is why these two cases, and the cheeto/Biden cases, are different.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Are we sure about intent yet?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    We are with the party that admitted their intent.  The Biden case has been pretty private so far and the investigation ongoing.
    Options
    Not clear yet. Biden is a long time politician that should know better, trump was not....lol
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Not clear yet. Biden is a long time politician that should know better, trump was not....lol
    Should Trump know better than to ignore a subpoena?