Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This is a miss for us…

Options
Wife and I have been staying away from carbs for a while now so we have not had any BBQ sauce in over a year.   Decided to get froggy and opt for some Zero Sugar sauce.   This just did not do it.   Seemed sweet - but in such an artificial way it was off-putting.   

Hate to do this since I enjoy their rubs but no thanks for me anymore.   Bottle went in the bin.   

To each their own—surely plenty will really enjoy it though.  I’m now off for a bourbon for a palette cleanse.  

LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    No carbs in bourbon. Great choice. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Yeah as a diabetic I’m in that boat.  I haven’t found a decent no sugar sauce, but full disclosure I’m not a big sauce person usually a bottle of bbq sauce here lasts like a year before it gets tossed to make space.  There’s quite a few out there and I’ve had the one you had and a couple under the brand “G Hughes” not good.  There is a no sugar added sweet baby rays that is serviceable if you want sauce.  
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    Yeah as a diabetic I’m in that boat.  I haven’t found a decent no sugar sauce, but full disclosure I’m not a big sauce person usually a bottle of bbq sauce here lasts like a year before it gets tossed to make space.  There’s quite a few out there and I’ve had the one you had and a couple under the brand “G Hughes” not good.  There is a no sugar added sweet baby rays that is serviceable if you want sauce.  
    Thanks for this.   We get Sweet Baby… down here but haven’t looked for zero sugar.   

We have been doing some sort of mustard on our sausage wraps which has been fitting but the misses does enjoy bbq sauce.  

I’ll keep my eyes peeled for your serviceable suggestion.   

Thanks again!!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    This is confusing me.  I make my own sauces and definitely do NOT include any sugars/sweeteners.  
    And are sugars considered carbs?  I'm confused.  :confused:  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    Get a vinegar sauce recipe and back off on the sugar for pull. That stuff is no good in the markets
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Botch said:
    This is confusing me.  I make my own sauces and definitely do NOT include any sugars/sweeteners.  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sugar in a rub or sauce has taste benefits other than the sweetness.  Sugar helps the Maillard reaction and contributes to complex flavors and adds color.  You don’t need much.  
    Options
    Botch said:

And complex carbohydrates are made, and break down into, simple sugars.  Botch!
    Yeah many of the recipes I’ve seen for bbq sauce include a bit of sugar in some form.  Often it shows up as a bit of molasses or even ketchup.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Get a vinegar sauce recipe and back off on the sugar for pull. That stuff is no good in the markets
    Does anyone here have a good vinegar based recipe?  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Botch said:

(and I'm not trying to offend, just practicing my rapid-fire image-editing retorts.  I'm getting better....)  
    LOL Botch
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    I know someone but it might be missing a few ingredients but not enough change in the recipe to call it their own. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    Options
    I'm good with the old elder ward  recipe. Less sugar works for pull and I like ken stones recipe with the cut side draged thru his sauce.  I can get those tomorrow. Zero sugar, no

fukahwee maine

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    Whoa, no sir.  The recipe shall be implemented as written.  Period.  Thou shalt not change.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Did the sauce clump? I'm not understanding why it went into the bin.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Did the sauce clump? I'm not understanding why it went into the bin.
    That is a deep cut man.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    I use this one. We like it. 

Las Vegas, NV

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I'm sorry, but even with the right recipe you're going to fall short unless your parents raised you right.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Not trying to be a smartazz, but why not make your own? You'll be able to control what goes in it. 

Stuff made with sweeteners usually have a chemical/synthetic taste to me. But, if you add just enough for some sweetness, you're likely to end up with something you like. 

Also, if you use high quality ingredients, you may not need or miss the sweetness as much. For instance, the flavor of tomatoes can vary greatly depending on the type.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    If you want sweet, cook down some onions, like really cook them down.  Then use that as a blended base.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you want sweet, cook down some onions, like really cook them down.  Then use that as a blended base.
    Right.  Or onions.  Or beets (and call it Vampire Sauce).

Options
    caliking said:
    Not trying to be a smartazz, but why not make your own? You'll be able to control what goes in it. 

Stuff made with sweeteners usually have a chemical/synthetic taste to me. But, if you add just enough for some sweetness, you're likely to end up with something you like. 

Also, if you use high quality ingredients, you may not need or miss the sweetness as much. For instance, the flavor of tomatoes can vary greatly depending on the type.
    I should look into this.   We do not like sweet sauces but prefer Savory.   Back when we were buying I’d go for Stubbs (even Rudy’s) bc they were more pepper forward.  

This was a shot in the dark since said no sugar.   Guess it just didn’t fit our palettes. 

I’ll dig into making my own.  Good suggestion!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Whoa, no sir.  The recipe shall be implemented as written.  Period.  Thou shalt not change.

just make sure to use the hawaii raw sugar and not a tbl of regular.

The Traditional North Carolina Sauce (A) I grew up with.
    This would be from my mothers side of the family who are a bunch of flatlanders near the coast.  We only came down out of the hills to see them just enough to keep the peace in the family and my mother from running back home for good.  She hated the mountains.  We all loved her folks.

• 1 C white vinegar
    • 1 C cider vinegar
    • 1 Tbs. sugar (Hawaii style when you can)
    • 1 Tbs. cayenne pepper (fresh ones split 2 of em instead soak 2 days or more is best)
    • 1 Tbs. Tabasco sauce
    • 1 tsp. kosher salt
    • 1 tsp. cracked black pepper
    Makes 2 Cups

Place in a bottle with small neck that will allow you to shake it out a little at a time.

then dont use the suggested 2 cups sugar in the sugar slaw, 2 tablespoons is fine. i like vinegar based slaw, this is vinegar syrup

Mary Lee's, "I Fought the Slaw and The Slaw Won"
    These are from the Jack Daniel's old time Barbecue cookbook by Vince Staten. (with an Elder Ward twist)
    • 3 LBS. cabbage
    • 3 ribs of celery
    • 1 onion (yellow)
    • 1 bell pepper
    • 3 carrots
    • 2 C sugar (Hawaiian when you can get it.)
    Shred, chop or dice all and mix with sugar. Set cabbage mixture aside.

• 1/2 Cup of white vinegar
    • 1/2 Cup of Apple Cider vinegar
    • 1/2 C olive oil (my twist)
    • 1 tsp celery seed
    • 1 tsp (kosher salt)
    Bring all to a boil and pour over cabbage mixture and chill overnight.

fukahwee maine

• gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    Diabetic here as well...easiest thing to do is enjoy a little sauce of whatever kind you like and enjoy life. You cant use the whole bottle, but a little brushed on is negligible at best.

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax