Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill grate brush?

Options
Looking for something new.   I'm sure there will be a lot of responses but clearly the goal is not to turn loose bristles onto grill grate, clean grate and be durable (in order of desire).

Thank you all in advance!

LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,340
    Options
    All I can offer is don't use the wire bristle brush.  Several threads here with anecdotes of the bristle becoming one with the food and then requiring medical assistance to address after consuming.
    I use a putty knife if I feel the need with some chunkies attached (for a follow-on low and slow cook), otherwise the next high temp burn to clean it up.  
    FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you have a dog, just throw your grates on the ground where he can clean them.  (Make sure not too hot!)  =)
    Options
    Wood paddle with notches to fit your grates will do the trick safely.  In a pinch, balled up aluminum foil.  Pressure washer…sandblaster… cleaning laser…
    Options
    I still feel the Weber triangle brush is the best. It’s wire but not embedded wire in a wood or nylon head. Rather it’s wound or knotted around a wire frame. Not saying it’s impossible to get a wire but in 15-20 years, I’ve never seen it. I have had them from the embedded style. You can buy several and rotate as they are inexpensive. I also follow up with a second “finish” brush that can be a safeguard so to speak. I use either one of the natural fiber ones or a Brillo pad style one as the finishing brush. I’ve used the old wood scrapers too. I like clean grates. Good luck with whatever you choose. 
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    My wife gave me one for Christmas. Its a grillart. It is wire but it's woven almost like a slinky. Real heavy built and the woven wire is all in one piece. I have not used it yet but I do believe it will hold up better than the ones with individual wires. Like he said in above post it's wound around a heavy frame.
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    Two more pictures 
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    @tcampbell

now that is some solid business right there!    Thanks for sharing, will look into!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    There are grill grates brushes, and there’s GrillGrate brush
    https://bestbbqrubs.ca/products/grillgrate-bristle-less-duel-head-brush
    canuckland
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I just burn the crap off. If it’s gotten too bad I just use aluminum foil. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    I just burn the crap off. If it’s gotten too bad I just use aluminum foil. 
    Hahah I agree man.  I do too.   The grates I have now are awesome and clean up well but I still want something to knock the grime off.   

I do cheese based sausages or jalapeños so often that it boils over.   It can be easy to clean but was looking for all the wisemen on this forum that have all the good tools for an easy fix.  

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Billy Bar ftw

Mountain View, CA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    dmourati said:
    Billy Bar ftw

I have a couple Billy Bars myself and they do work by getting on top, sides and believe it or not ,.. underneath as well! The only issue is to do such a clean and thorough clean up you must be patient since you are just cleaning EACH rod at time, but honestly you get very good at it, and besides who doesn’t like an excuse for another brewski???
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Billy Bar works great, but if I'm I'm a hurry aluminum foil ball also does the jobs. I'm sure there's lots of good options out there.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    I stay far far away from embedded bristles.  I almost ate a bristle.  Thankfully it just stuck in my gums and I didn't swallow it.

This was on chicken I had just served to my family.  Thank God it was me and not one of my kids.

I closely checked the grill and found a bunch more bristles.  I have never used any wire brush since.  That was around 2007.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    tcampbell said:
    My wife gave me one for Christmas. It's a grillart. It is wire but it's woven almost like a slinky. Real heavy built and the woven wire is all in one piece. I have not used it yet but I do believe it will hold up better than the ones with individual wires. Like he said in above post it's wound around a heavy frame.
    I have a similar one, but without the big scraper thing.  It works well to knock the burnt semolina off the floor of my Ooni.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Putty knife and aluminum foil for me.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I still feel the Weber triangle brush is the best. It’s wire but not embedded wire in a wood or nylon head. Rather it’s wound or knotted around a wire frame. Not saying it’s impossible to get a wire but in 15-20 years, I’ve never seen it. I have had them from the embedded style. You can buy several and rotate as they are inexpensive. I also follow up with a second “finish” brush that can be a safeguard so to speak. I use either one of the natural fiber ones or a Brillo pad style one as the finishing brush. I’ve used the old wood scrapers too. I like clean grates. Good luck with whatever you choose. 
    +1 for this.  I also replace pretty regularly and will  oil the grates after scraping as extra safeguards.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    RRP   is the billy bar the same as the BGE cleaning bar with the yellow handle?
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    GoldenQ said:
    RRP   is the billy bar the same as the BGE cleaning bar with the yellow handle?
    It is
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    I am still alive after six years of using a stainless steel welding brush. No bristle has ever fallen out, and if one did, they are all big enough to see easily - they are about the size of small nails.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i just use a small wood split from the firewood shed. sometimes i toss it in for smoke. the hickory, oak, and maple seem to work well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    1700 cases of grill brush emergency room visits over 12 years may seem like a lot. But, I figure after 54 years of doing dumber stuff than that, I am sticking with my grill brush.  I promise to only use it in the daylight, while sober, and I will replace it annually, or after 100 cleanings, whichever is first.  (That's what Consumer Reports says I should do)

Don't tell anyone, but I used to drink from the garden hose, rode a bike without a helmet, and my parents smoked.  Heck, I even had a gas stove when I was married and decided it wasn't killing me fast enough! (The stove, not being married)

Grilling is dangerous!  I bet more than 142 people a year end up in emergency rooms from grilling accidents unrelated to eating bristles.  

Nothing works better than a wire bristle brush at knocking off the crud on a grid.  That's why they still sell them.

But, don't eat them!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    1700 cases of grill brush emergency room visits over 12 years may seem like a lot. But, I figure after 54 years of doing dumber stuff than that, I am sticking with my grill brush.  I promise to only use it in the daylight, while sober, and I will replace it annually, or after 100 cleanings, whichever is first.  (That's what Consumer Reports says I should do)

Don't tell anyone, but I used to drink from the garden hose, rode a bike without a helmet, and my parents smoked.  Heck, I even had a gas stove when I was married and decided it wasn't killing me fast enough! (The stove, not being married)

Grilling is dangerous!  I bet more than 142 people a year end up in emergency rooms from grilling accidents unrelated to eating bristles.  

Nothing works better than a wire bristle brush at knocking off the crud on a grid.  That's why they still sell them.

But, don't eat them!

People never seem to run out of ways to hurt themselves so I'm not surprised that wire grill brushes have become another item on that ever lengthening list.
    With a proper workflow a wire brush is no more of a hazard than lighting your grill.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I Won’t use an embedded wire bristle brush if I don’t have to do so. I will use the knotted or twisted ones like the weber triangle brush. I will unscientifically proclaim 99% of the wires are from the embedded type. 😁😁😁

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Even with knotted or twisted  bristles, change regularly and wipe with wet cloth or towel after scrubbing. Broken bristles (usually smaller and sharper?) could be worse than whole bristles that came loose.
    canuckland
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    Even with knotted or twisted  bristles, change regularly and wipe with wet cloth or towel after scrubbing. Broken bristles (usually smaller and sharper?) could be worse than whole bristles that came loose.

Proper workflow for the win.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    Langner91 said:

But, don't eat them!
    I also choose not to play Russian Roulette.  Good thing I am not afraid of being a sissy.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Langner91 said:

But, don't eat them!
    I also choose not to play Russian Roulette.  Good thing I am not afraid of being a sissy.
    For the record, I was not calling you a sissy.  

You do you, man.  I don't feel I am playing Russian Roulette by using a grill brush.  Heck, your garage door is more likely to hurt you or your kids than your grill brush.  Everything out there is trying to kill us.
    Clinton, Iowa