Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lacto-Fermentation pH Question

Options
I started four fermentations yesterday (two w/cucumbers & two w/cherry tomatoes)  I did 2.5% salt by weight of veggies and water.  Actual brine was 3.75% (2.5 cups water, 0.8 oz salt), that solution with veggies should end at 2.5% total.

I checked my pH today and it is still 5.45.  I expected <4.6 after 24hrs.  Should I be concerned?
They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I think you're fine. The brine concentration sounds right. I've done 3%+ before, but usually do 5%, because the math is easier (for me). Never had any problems with the 3%+ brine. 

I'd wait for @lkappigian to chime in, though. He knows way more about this. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,769
    edited January 2023
    Options
    The brine should be 2% or greater weight of the water only … you can do the same weight of veggies in a mash ( no water ) that being said so long as the PH is trending downward, your lacto bacillus are alive and well 

but hey , was this a rigged question lol
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,128
    edited January 2023
    Options
    @caliking and @Ikapigian thank you, I will not worry. I will keep an eye on pH and roll with it.

Was planning on half sour pickles, but will see how flavors develop along with pH.

And nope, not rigged.  Just paranoid.  I love ferments, but 'Merica has taught me to fear controlled decay and love refrigeration.

2nd Edit: I asked @The_Buffalo to move your great thread to the main forum a few months ago, but no response yet.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    you are less than a day in, is it even fermenting yet =)  i kinda would expect the cherry tomatos to start less acidic than the cukes, they can be alot sweeter at the start
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    you are less than a day in, is it even fermenting yet =)  i kinda would expect the cherry tomatos to start less acidic than the cukes, they can be alot sweeter at the start
    Not much has started, but I only planned on 5 days for the pickles (half-sour) so was hoping I would have seen a larger pH drop.  I will keep tracking, and might go longer on the pickles.  Tomatoes I planned for 7-14 days.

Last time I planned for a 28 day ferment, I accidentally went 52 weeks.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Not much has started, but I only planned on 5 days for the pickles (half-sour) so was hoping I would have seen a larger pH drop.  I will keep tracking, and might go longer on the pickles.  Tomatoes I planned for 7-14 days.

what is the ambient temp where you are fermenting, half sours should be done in 5 days ish 70-80 room temp, they will be more higher in the PH spectrum thus the half sour .....
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited January 2023
    Options
    lkapigian said:

what is the ambient temp where you are fermenting, half sours should be done in 5 days ish 70-80 room temp, they will be more higher in the PH spectrum thus the half sour .....
    Ambient temp is 68 deg.

I should not expect them to drop below 4.6?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options

thats been one of my problems. champagne in a clay pot thats in the 2.5 year range, same with a lost in the meat drawer duck prosciutto and a homemade worcestershire sauce thats been sitting on the fridge the whole time.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lkapigian
    Options
    lkapigian said:

Ambient temp is 68 deg.

I should not expect them to drop below 4.6?
    That is a little on the cooler side so add a couple  days ....I haven't checked the ph on the half sour but I would think 4.2- 4.6 ish,I know my month long ferments hit 3.5
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    Options
    Forgot to ask earlier if you added bay leaves to keep the pickles crispy/crunchy.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    caliking said:
    Forgot to ask earlier if you added bay leaves to keep the pickles crispy/crunchy.
    One has bay leaves, one does not.  Didn't realize they helped crunchiness.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    caliking said:
    That and cut the bloom end , I think anything with tannins help the crunch 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    edited January 2023
    Options
    caliking said:
    Please report back on how they compare; I had been using a pinch of Pickle Crisp™ (pure calcium chloride) but if I can use something natural I'd prefer that (and the local Asian market sells big bags of bay leaves for almost nothing).    

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Things are starting to move:

1 jar of pickles starting to smell wonderful and looking cloudy and is at 5.00

1 jar smells very faint and is at 5.38

1 jar of tomatoes is cloudy and smells pretty good with strong onion scent and is at 5.56

1 jar of tomatoes smells like water with some spices and is at 5.40

• Botch
    Options
    <slapping forehead, violently, at seeing a venting air seal made with just a simple piece of cellophane!>  <and it'll fit ANY jar/crock!>  

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Botch said:
    <slapping forehead, violently, at seeing a venting air seal made with just a simple piece of cellophane!>  <and it'll fit ANY jar/crock!>  

Prison pickles? Latex glow will work too with a pin hole
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Botch said:

I don't even poke a hole.. once it starts to really balloon, just manually release.

However, a pin prick sounds like a good idea.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options

just manually release.

Of course
    NOLA
  • Botch
    Options
    Botch said:

I don't even poke a hole.. once it starts to really balloon, just manually release.

What I was thinking is, even if it balloons, the cellophane will release from the glass (downward) before the pressure threatens breakage of the glass jar.  
    A pin prick can let oxygen back in, although I'm realizing that the CO2 generated by LF continually pushes air OUT of any container, as long as the fermentation continues.  I finally had some luck just by using canning jars/lids, just not tightening the lids down onto the jars; they "self-burp" when the internal pressure requires it.  
    Another issue I've had is not leaving enough air space in the top of the jar.  I'd left just 1/8" or so, and then left them undisturbed on a stable counter.  Within a day or two, the jars started spitting brine out onto the counter.  My theory is that CO2 is building up inside the food, swelling it but not releasing into the brine just yet, that's why the brine gets pushed out.  
    I'm taking notes, and continuing to experiment.  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Botch said:
    Botch said:

What I was thinking is, even if it balloons, the cellophane will release from the glass (downward) before the pressure threatens breakage of the glass jar.  
    A pin prick can let oxygen back in, although I'm realizing that the CO2 generated by LF continually pushes air OUT of any container, as long as the fermentation continues.  I finally had some luck just by using canning jars/lids, just not tightening the lids down onto the jars; they "self-burp" when the internal pressure requires it.  
    Another issue I've had is not leaving enough air space in the top of the jar.  I'd left just 1/8" or so, and then left them undisturbed on a stable counter.  Within a day or two, the jars started spitting brine out onto the counter.  My theory is that CO2 is building up inside the food, swelling it but not releasing into the brine just yet, that's why the brine gets pushed out.  
    I'm taking notes, and continuing to experiment.  
    I never leave enough head space.  I always plan to, but never do.  I leave them in either a bowl or an aluminum half sheet pan.  Any seepage is contained.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I’ve seen people use beer brewing air locks for fermentation.  The environmental differences between aerobic and anaerobic support entirely different life forms, so always know what you’re doing, esp pH
    Options
    I’ve seen people use beer brewing air locks for fermentation.  The environmental differences between aerobic and anaerobic support entirely different life forms, so always know what you’re doing, esp pH
    So where' the adventure in that?  :tongue:  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Day 2; Day 3 pH

1 jar of pickles 5.00; 4.13

1 jar pickles 5.38; 5.01

1 jar of tomatoes 5.56; 4.68

1 jar of tomatoes 5.40; 5.06

I completely remove the tops to test the pH, so I know I am letting oxygen back in.  Hopefully, the very little head space I have will not impact anything besides some yeast growth which should consume any oxygen.  Plus, all my veggies are well below the water line, except for a dehydrated carolina reaper that insists on floating up.

• caliking
    Options
    Day 2; Day 3 pH

1 jar of pickles 5.00; 4.13

1 jar pickles 5.38; 5.01

1 jar of tomatoes 5.56; 4.68

1 jar of tomatoes 5.40; 5.06

I completely remove the tops to test the pH, so I know I am letting oxygen back in.  Hopefully, the very little head space I have will not impact anything besides some yeast growth which should consume any oxygen.  Plus, all my veggies are well below the water line, except for a dehydrated carolina reaper that insists on floating up.

These are helpful:
    4-Pack Fermentation Glass Weights with Easy Grip Grooved Handles Heavy Fermenting Lids Fermentation Kit for Any Wide Mouth Mason Jars https://a.co/d/2WZ7iyw

I sometimes fold a paper towel and lay it across the top, to keep the floaters submerged. 

• caliking
    Options
    This. I fill the airlock with vodka, because stuff grows in our tap water. Or, use bottled water. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited January 2023
    Options
    caliking said:
    This. I fill the airlock with vodka, because stuff grows in our tap water. Or, use bottled water. 
    I see it now.  Once Caliprince is a little older, he and his buddies will be drinking all your airlocks dry.

Also, I will definitely be ordering more of those glass toppers.  I had some in a kit, bit didn't like the knobs that stick out the top and taking up the space.  Those recessed ones on yours look like a much better configuration.
  • caliking
    Options
    caliking said:
    I see it now.  Once Caliprince is a little older, he and his buddies will be drinking all your airlocks dry.

Also, I will definitely be ordering more of those glass toppers.  I had some in a kit, bit didn't like the knobs that stick out the top and taking up the space.  Those recessed ones on yours look like a much better configuration.
    I can see him at a college bar ... "waddayamean shots? We call those airlocks..."

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Day 2; Day 3; Day 4  (pH)

1 jar of pickles 5.00; 4.13; 4.12

1 jar pickles 5.38; 5.01; 4.33

1 jar of tomatoes 5.56; 4.68; 3.99
    (Added a paper towel under the weights because all three carolina reapers popped to the top)

1 jar of tomatoes 5.40; 5.06; 4.88

This is mostly for my record keeping, but thank you for reading and following along.

The saran wrap one definitely puffs up, so LB is doing its thing.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Day 2; Day 3; Day 4; Day 5 (pH)

1 jar of pickles 5.00; 4.13; 4.12; 4.12
    1 jar pickles 5.38; 5.01; 4.33; 4.17
    1 jar of tomatoes 5.56; 4.68; 3.99; 3.87
    1 jar of tomatoes 5.40; 5.06; 4.88; 4.66 and oddly clear brine as opposed to other 3 jars.

• lkapigian
    Options
    Spot on my friend @Ozzie_Isaac
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian