Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT.... QUESTIONS ABOUT UBIQUITY networking

I was wondering if anyone has experience woth ubiquity equiptment? 

I'd like to get a dream machine pro and see it has recording features but was wondering how do they work since the built in switch isn't poe? 

Do you connect your cameras to ethernet and electricity and it records for you? 

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    edited December 2022
    Don’t know anything about ubiquity but when you need PoE from a non-PoE switch you typically use a power injector. You just need to make sure you supply the camera with enough power (watts). Likely 802.3at which is backwards compatible with 802.3af. The power injector can live wherever the switch resides. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    From what I've heard, its a great enterprise level solution, which can be (relatively) easily deployed for residential needs. IIRC @texaswig,  may have some experience with Ubiquiti devices.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mr1egg
    Mr1egg Posts: 364
    I've been reading a bit more and it seems like I need a poe switch which is out of my budget or get those injector things which would boost the price up quite a bit per camera. 
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    Mr1egg said:
    I've been reading a bit more and it seems like I need a poe switch which is out of my budget or get those injector things which would boost the price up quite a bit per camera. 
    don't know  much about POE residential equipment, but I would imagine there will be limitations to the amount of POE hardware hanging off a switch. I know we have encountered cisco limitations with the number of devices we hang off a switch..
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    I have a full ubiquity setup. Cameras and network equipment, POE switch and mesh wifi.  It's fantastic. I didn't set any of it up. I had a professional do it. It's worked flawlessly for about 3 years now. Since I moved into my new house.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Mr1egg
    I'm doing my basmenet and ran over 2000 feet of cat 6 down there along with coax and soon to be some fiber. Planning on having a pretty hig network in my house.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    Mr1egg said:
    I'm doing my basmenet and ran over 2000 feet of cat 6 down there along with coax and soon to be some fiber. Planning on having a pretty hig network in my house.
    I wish I could give more specific advice. I can say that I love my equipment and it has been worth every penny.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    Doesn't @DMW do networking of some type?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Doesn't @DMW do networking of some type?
    Only for stars in high places!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Mr1egg
    I'm going with full ubiquity but am going to kick out the cameras I wan planning on having. I'll just stick to my wyze cams. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    I also have full ubiquiti - dream machine pro, switch, mesh wifi.  My cameras are on another system though.

The ubquiti switch (which will provide PoE) is well worth it, though.
    NOLA
  • Mr1egg
    I want to get a 48 port switch and that plus poe is very expensive. If I went for poe I would buy the dream machine pro special edition and setup 4 cameras poe, but again just that little upgrade I think is 1k.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    Ubiquiti here but I use their APs and a cloud key. Cloud key sucks mostly but the APs are great. I chose a router/firewall from Firewalla out front.

On the camera side, I have ring which is its own format and one poe camera from Axis. I use a PoE switch and cat 6. It powers the APs as well.
    Mountain View, CA
  • I don’t know what any of this is but I want!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Mr1egg said:
    I want to get a 48 port switch and that plus poe is very expensive. If I went for poe I would buy the dream machine pro special edition and setup 4 cameras poe, but again just that little upgrade I think is 1k.

Although when I was trying to get one, they were very hard to find, so I ended up getting the regular pro version (and I already had a PoE switch).

NOLA
  • I googled POE. our house is wired cat6 thanks to @ColtsFan recommendation. I told swmbo we could get a POE and get it all working. "we shouldn't have to plug **** in". 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• I have a full Unifi network with the base DM, 2 APs, and several POW  and non-POE switches.  You can use power injectors or a smaller POE switch and/or put the non-POE equipment on a cheaper unmanaged switch from any vendor to save money,  The trade off is that power injectors can be a pain, and using 3rd party gear limits your visibility and control of the network.  I really like the system, but be aware that you won’t get much support from the mothership.

"Semper ubi sub ubi"

San Diego, CA

• Mr1egg
    Kcheves said:
    I have a full Unifi network with the base DM, 2 APs, and several POW  and non-POE switches.  You can use power injectors or a smaller POE switch and/or put the non-POE equipment on a cheaper unmanaged switch from any vendor to save money,  The trade off is that power injectors can be a pain, and using 3rd party gear limits your visibility and control of the network.  I really like the system, but be aware that you won’t get much support from the mothership.
    I know, even trying to reach out to them for some questions is hard. I want to build my new network from scratch and can't wait to do so.