Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - THE Dusty Bourbon Hoard - OT

Options
Greetings friends!

this basement find of more than ~25 bourbon bottles was in my family’s basement for 50 ish years. 

Now - I’m getting offers to sell one or two here of there, or the entire batch. 

What to do? Sell? Drink? 

I know you know what’s up..
8-D

Umami added for another thread…

Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options
    Looks like my grandfather might have been a friend.
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Ship them here. I’ll look them over and sample them to see if you’ve got anything there. 😁

if that’s not your thing I’d say sell them. If whiskey is your thing I’d say keep them or most of them. 

Cool stuff!
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Reminds me of a Guy Clark song “…Old Crow whiskey and hot 7 Up..”.  

All kidding aside I agree with @pgprescott

LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,434
    Options
    Can’t see the labels in the back. Odds are you’re sitting on some coin. How much, dunno. Shipping it gonna be no fun for you, I’d try to sell whole lot to someone or sell bottle by bottle to locals
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Don't know what I would do with all of those....just send me a bottle every three days
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,118
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Looks like an Old Forester label toward the back.  Might be worth a nip or two.

The Ancient Age I would sell in a heart beat of someone offered me more than $10/bottle.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Unless I’m totally mistaken I don’t believe that once bottled in glass then bourbon does not change in taste even many years later. In other words while it may be older in many years that  really doesn’t make it collectable.

BUT if I’m wrong I’m happy to be corrected…as I too have some un-opened bottles of bourbon and other spirits in my basement which I won many years ago…some are even in cool bottles!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    RRP said:
    Unless I’m totally mistaken I don’t believe that once bottled in glass then bourbon does not change in taste even many years later. In other words while it may be older in many years that  really doesn’t make it collectable.

BUT if I’m wrong I’m happy to be corrected…as I too have some un-opened bottles of bourbon and other spirits in my basement which I won many years ago…some are even in cool bottles!
    My dad has unopened bottles from years ago. They are filled with water. With the vodka it's water and egg whites....
    fukahwee maine

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited November 2022
    Options
    RRP said:

My dad has unopened bottles from years ago. They are filled with water. With the vodka it's water and egg whites....
    Lol.  My parents only ever had box wine and bass ale.  Never could figure out how to refill those.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    RRP said:

You are correct in that it’s technically not “older whiskey” and as long as there is still a good seal it wont change the original flavor profile. If oxygen can find its way in and can some what change the flavor. What bottles are you hiding Ron?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    RRP said:

You are correct in that it’s technically not “older whiskey” and as long as there is still a good seal it wont change the original flavor profile. If oxygen can find its way in and can some what change the flavor. What bottles are you hiding Ron?
    I actually prefer some bottles that have been partially drunk and then rested for a few months.
  • saluki2007
    Options
    RRP said:

I actually prefer some bottles that have been partially drunk and then rested for a few months.
    For sure. I’ve had several bottles where I didn’t like the first couple drinks and then revisited down the road only to like it then. Oxygen is crazy. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I’m not sure we are on the same page. The whiskey sold under these labels today is likely quite different than what’s in those bottles. That could be quite good or not. Either way, it’s very rare and unique. That’s the crux of the situation. If your into whiskey, that can be very enticing. People pay big bucks for whiskey simply because it’s rare. Some of that rare stuff is great, some is ok, and some is not very good. It’s the rarity. 

Has nothing to do with a bottle being allowed to open up or if the whiskey is aged like wine. There is a chance some of it’s compromised like @saluki2007 indicated. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    RRP said:

Lol.  My parents only ever had box wine and bass ale.  Never could figure out how to refill those.
    Freshman in HS I was buying booze at the liquor store. The vodka with egg whites was just funny, dad.... This one went bad,. Dump it
    fukahwee maine

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Interestingly, you don’t want the bourbon to change. Change is bad. 

It’s definitely a niche market, but there are ridiculous bucks to be had for old dusty bottles. At this point, I have an offer for one of those bottles at $400, a bulk shipment at $250/bottle, and the entire board for $3200. 

Some of those bottles have price tags that say $4.25

ill still probably just drunk them with friends..
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Don't know what I would do with all of those....just send me a bottle every three days
    3 days?  Amateur.
    Options
    Even if I hadn’t quit drinking, if it were me I’d sell them.  Make some bourbon collectors happy.  Unless you would appreciate them more than the money.  $3200 for the lot means you can get a lot more selling individually.

Take the money from your first sale and buy a bottle of your fave.  Drink it all in an evening.  Next day you will not regret your decision.
    I worked for a distributor in 1975, and delivered truckloads of those brands to Kansas liquor stores.  They were “bottom shelf” bourbons back then, and still are 50 years later…today.  They don’t age in the bottle.  Sell them for what you can! 
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,082
    Options
    Some years back there was a desirable bottle of Dom Perignon on a segment of Antiques Roadshow.  It turned out to be worthless as it had been stored cork side up.  This allowed the cork to dry out and shrink, which permitted oxygen to enter the bottle.
    For long term storage, invert your bottles to keep your cork moist and swollen.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • fishlessman
    Options
    3 days?  Amateur.

a quick shot while pouring the next gin and tonic, mix it up with the bucca and limoncello shots. what did you drink while pouring an evans and diet coke.....
    fukahwee maine

• saluki2007
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    Some years back there was a desirable bottle of Dom Perignon on a segment of Antiques Roadshow.  It turned out to be worthless as it had been stored cork side up.  This allowed the cork to dry out and shrink, which permitted oxygen to enter the bottle.
    For long term storage, invert your bottles to keep your cork moist and swollen.

That is true of wines but with whiskey you don’t want to do that. Due to the higher alcohol content the alcohol will dissolve the cork. You want to turn the bottle over a couple times every once in a while to keep it moist so it doesn’t crack. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Do not sell. Trade them for other rare or hard to get bottles and then you can eventually trade up to some big boy bottles like the rare Pappys
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    You might want to check out https://www.unicornauctions.com/ 
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    MO_Eggin said:
    You might want to check out https://www.unicornauctions.com/ 
    Very cool. Thank you. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE