Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermometers

Options
Christmas is coming. Does everyone still recommend Thermapens, or are there others that now that are as good or better at less cost?  I’ve used Thermapens for years and they’ve been great. But they are pricey. Thanks 

Comments

• OhioEgger
    Options
    Don't forget customer service, if you should ever need it. Thermoworks has been great about that.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited November 2022
    Options
    The original Thermopop is only $21 now since the new version just came out. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Might take a look at the Lavatools Javelin Pro Duo. They're great and about half the price.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    The new thermopop is a 3-4 second extremely accurate for under $30. https://www.thermoworks.com/thermopop/
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    I have them open and javelin, javelin has a magnet which  is nice at times, both excellent but my nod goes to ThermoWorks 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 273
    Options
    - I have a couple of ThermoWorks products (thermapen, and thermopop) and they are great.  Use them all the time.
    - Additionally, this little Gaisten Thermometer is a pretty decent tool for the price.  For sure not as quick as a ThermoWorks product, nor the market exposure.  I like the ability to leave a probe hanging in the guest of honor while the cook progresses enabling me to check the temp without opening the lid/dome etc.  When I get close, I just unfold and probe.  The cable on mine has lasted going on 6 years run through the lid of a PKO, Weber Kettle.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermometer-Instant-Function-Cooking-Smoker/dp/B081HXD2WP/ref=sr_1_5?crid=X8X9ZBDBZ3PI&keywords=gaisten+meat+thermometer+digital&qid=1667939179&sprefix=gaisten%2Caps%2C70&sr=8-5

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,120
    Options
    Can't go wrong with Thermapen or Thermopop.

I keep one outside in the grill cabinet and one inside in the kitchen.  Keep your eye out for sales, especially this time of year... usually 20% is doable.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Lavatools thermos are fantastic. I have had a few for a years, and they have held up well. Zero issues.

A discount code EGGHEAD was offered a few years ago, and I believe it may still work. 

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1213832/hello-from-lavatools/p1

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bbracey21
    Options
    I’m team ThermoWorks. I know there are cheaper options out there but the Thermapen for instant readings and DOT simple thermometer for low & slow work for me.
  • 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 273
    Options
    Just got got a text from Thermoworks and the “pop” is on flash sale for 1 Day only at $12.60. 
  • WeberWho
    Options
    6baluts said:
    Just got got a text from Thermoworks and the “pop” is on flash sale for 1 Day only at $12.60. 
    That is worth its own post @6baluts

Perfect stocking stuffer!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    It's the original ThermoPop that is on sale at that price. I'm guessing they're trying to clear out all the inventory of the old model. I bought one of those years ago when they first came out but never really took a shine to it. Regardless, that's not a bad price if you can get free shipping.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I still go with ThermoWorks products.  Quality sometimes does cost a bit more.  But after a few years use, I forget about the upfront cost.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• lkapigian
    Options
    This thread reminded me to order new thermometers, ordered 2 Thermopen 1 next day freight, only received 1 but packing slip shows 2, testing customer service and see how they handle it , I’m betting they will take care of it 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    This thread reminded me to order new thermometers, ordered 2 Thermopen 1 next day freight, only received 1 but packing slip shows 2, testing customer service and see how they handle it , I’m betting they will take care of it 
    I'll bet you a thermopop they handle it right away and apologize.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • lkapigian
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I'll bet you a thermopop they handle it right away and apologize.
    PM me your address, I’ll do better that a Pop  =)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    So after hours, I received a personalized email , it’s on its way, killer service 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited November 2022
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    So after hours, I received a personalized email , it’s on its way, killer service 
    They really are top tier in their service.  Product is pretty fantastic too.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    They really are top tier in their service.  Product is pretty fantastic too.
    +1. I did something not terribly smart with the first Thermopop I had, and person on the phone barely let me finish my sentence when they told me they would replace it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Thermapro here.   Never let me down
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • WeberWho
    Options
    I picked up 4 Thermopops earlier this evening. They should make some descent stocking stuffers. 

Minnesota
  • lkapigian
    Options
    And you always get a packet of Jelly Belly’s with your order =)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian