Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chief Twit

Options

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,055
    Options
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,367
    Options
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,517
    Options
    An enlightening take on Elon- (not my writing)

"In the past, I've described Elon Musk as an example of a modern scourge I call narcissistic victimhood; people who couldn’t be benefiting more from the current state of things yet who are intent on convincing themselves that they are actually the victim of the current state of things. He's being robbed of free speech, even though he owns a social network and nearly every word he posts makes headlines. The overly woke system is rigged against people like him, even though, within that very system, he is the richest person in the world and arguably the most famous, too. He’s the newsmaker and the news topic. He’s won the economy and the attention economy. Like other narcissistic victims, Musk seems determined to be a geopolitical leader as well as a business and cultural one. Unlike some his counterparts, he's not (yet) wasting his time with pesky things like running for office. In the New Yorker, Ronan Farrow on the power Musk has amassed. "In the past twenty years, against a backdrop of crumbling infrastructure and declining trust in institutions, Musk has sought out business opportunities in crucial areas where, after decades of privatization, the state has receded. The government is now reliant on him, but struggles to respond to his risk-taking, brinkmanship, and caprice. Current and former officials from NASA, the Department of Defense, the Department of Transportation, the Federal Aviation Administration, and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration told me that Musk’s influence had become inescapable in their work, and several of them said that they now treat him like a sort of unelected official. One Pentagon spokesman said that he was keeping Musk apprised of my inquiries about his role in Ukraine and would grant an interview with an official about the matter only with Musk’s permission. 'We’ll talk to you if Elon wants us to,' he told me. In a podcast interview last year, Musk was asked whether he has more influence than the American government. He replied immediately, 'In some ways.' Even though Musk loves to throw shade, none of this is happening in the shadows. For a person with these personality traits who has become the poster child for people who can’t stop posting, that would take the fun out of it. No, Musk is a power broker make for our era—one who operates not in the shadows but while taking a never-ending selfie."

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
  • HeavyG
    Options
    The sooner most countries eliminate crude oil from their economies the better. Then we won't need to keep kissing up to the Saudi's. 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Elon is literally blaming the Jews.  I did nazi that coming…
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Yep- with the internet and the 24 hour cycle, even Jesus will soon be walking on water without getting his feet wet. 
    I have not accomplished that feat but I keep trying.  I'm sure it is imminent.  Just gotta believe.  I will post a video once achieved.  =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    CBS Sunday Morning had a story on Elon Musk today that was worth catching. 

On the Ukrainian satellite story there was a clarification when listening carefully (hope I got it right). Elon didn’t shut off a service he refused to add a geographic area requested by Ukraine. He donated quite a bit of satellite capability to them before then. So it’s “complicated” but easy to see nothing is really arm’s length and is moving so fast that it begs for audit (but is outrunning it).

They offered the perspective that history will look back on him as aggressively pushing things we ultimately needed or improved humanity. Probably fair to say that complicated lens is how we view a lot of super wealthy business pioneers since 1800s to today and how they used labor, natural resources, negotiation tactics, etc. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    CBS Sunday Morning had a story on Elon Musk today that was worth catching. 

On the Ukrainian satellite story there was a clarification when listening carefully (hope I got it right). Elon didn’t shut off a service he refused to add a geographic area requested by Ukraine. He donated quite a bit of satellite capability to them before then. So it’s “complicated” but easy to see nothing is really arm’s length and is moving so fast that it begs for audit (but is outrunning it).
    I believe that account is Elon’s and that the US government will be looking into it.  I don’t trust a damn thing that guy says.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,525
    Options
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Botch said:
    Wildman sheep follower needs his sources of “Truth”
  • lousubcap
    Options
    From Bloomberg today:

He may be the richest man in the world, but oh boy is Elon Musk having a bad time when it comes to his two marquee businesses. The first—the one that made the South African a household name—is Tesla, whose shares have plummeted. How far, do you ask? Well they’ve wiped out nearly one-fifth of their value in less than two weeks. The second—the company that arguably made Musk a divisive political figure—is Twitter (or X). A year after buying the troubled social media platform and firing thousands of its employees, his investment is worth less than half of what he paid

• lousubcap
    edited October 2023
    Options
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

• Botch
    Options
    It's not over, at all.
    Look for a yuge glut of new advertising/financing of "X" (pronounced "ex") from the NRA, Chevrolet, the "evangelicals", travelers to Charlottesville who wear khakis and white shirts, and folks in Idaho.   

"Commander, say hello to Cricket!"  - KN

• HeavyG
    Options

• JohnInCarolina
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Botch said:
    It's not over, at all.
    Look for a yuge glut of new advertising/financing of "X" (pronounced "ex") from the NRA, Chevrolet, the "evangelicals", travelers to Charlottesville who wear khakis and white shirts, and folks in Idaho.   
    That “yuge glut” seems unlikely to me, Botch.

I don’t think “it’s over” tomorrow.  I think it will be some time before the platform finally declares bankruptcy, but in my opinion it’s only a matter of time.  By all accounts, advertising is down, users (real, not bots) are down, etc.  Structurally with all the debt that X has on its books it’s hard to see a likely alternative outcome right now.
  • Botch
    Options
    Botch said:
    It's not over, at all.

I don’t think “it’s over” tomorrow.  I think it will be some time before the platform finally declares bankruptcy, but in my opinion it’s only a matter of time.  By all accounts, advertising is down, users (real, not bots) are down, etc.  Structurally with all the debt that X has on its books it’s hard to see a likely alternative outcome right now.
    Possibly, we'll see.  
    Today's failure of SpaceX's "Starship" probably didn't help Elon's bottom line.  

"Commander, say hello to Cricket!"  - KN

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Botch said:
    Botch said:
    It's not over, at all.

Possibly, we'll see.  
    It’s starting to feel like SpaceX might be short for “Space eXplosion”
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Botch said:
    Botch said:
    It's not over, at all.

Possibly, we'll see.  
    I wouldn't say todays launch was a failure, it just wasn't a total success. :)

They weren't planning on recovering either stage of the rocket so their premature disassembly wasn't too much unlike the expected/intended outcome of just crashing into the ocean.

This time all 30+ engines lit up like they were supposed to so that was a sucess.

They did learn that their use of a "hot separation" of the two stages worked just fine.

And probably the best news was that with this launch from the redesigned launchpad  with its new huge "sprinkler system" no employee cars a mile away were destroyed by debris flying from the launchpad.