Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Inflation driven by profits?

Options
They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Katie Porter is a national treasure.

I think what's accurate at the moment is that several sectors are experiencing record profits.  They don't see any need to lower costs because the market is bearing higher costs.  This, in turn, is keeping costs high and inflation up. 

But take my view with a grain of salt, because I have never been in sales...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,351
    Options

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    Options
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I’ll give him partial credit. What he doesn’t account for is any increase in cost from barrel to pump - like labor, transport, etc. over the past 12 years.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    its the global economy......hard left turn........its corporate profits =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Options
    It’s never just corp profits, but they are masters of piggybacking extra markup when they can use global cost increases as cover.  This isn’t new, and you know this, but you got your soundbite in.  Are you running for office somewhere?  I’d be happy to fill out as many absentee ballots as you need!
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Legume said:
    I’ll give him partial credit. What he doesn’t account for is any increase in cost from barrel to pump - like labor, transport, etc. over the past 12 years.

Fair point.
    If one just applies the inflation adjustment to the 2010 price he uses - $2.85/gal - and adjust that using the feds CPI Inflation Calculator to 2022 dollars a gallon works out to $3.90 so why are people kvetching?? :)
    I have no idea what a gallon of gas should cost. However, when Exxon posts record high corporate profits as they have all year it seems that an argument can be fairly made that...

Too Damn High Meme Template - Piata Farms - The best meme

Or not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    If you watch the video carefully and look at her charts, she’s not arguing that this is the only factor.  

• Legume
    Options
    I remember when an an egg and a piece of toast was $0.30
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    Options
    From the gas prices thread:

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    If you watch the video carefully and look at her charts, she’s not arguing that this is the only factor.  

yes, i know. but its easier to push corporate profits over global economy. big business is evil.....
    fukahwee maine

• Legume
    Options
    You should totally run for office.

And probably stop complaining about the cost of steel  =)
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Fishlessman for town dog-catcher!

What… that’s not an office?
  • fishlessman
    Options

i was going to go with God's mouthpiece, but that jobs already taken.....
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    HeavyG said:

seems due to settling my morning greek yogurt cup is now only half filled as well. it does substantially lower the calories in a cup so i guess thats a plus....
    fukahwee maine

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,306
    Options
    HeavyG said:

seems due to settling my morning greek yogurt cup is now only half filled as well. it does substantially lower the calories in a cup so i guess thats a plus....
    I noticed that last night. Dang few cherries in the Black Cherry Chobani also.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    HeavyG said:

I noticed that last night. Dang few cherries in the Black Cherry Chobani also.

thats what i buy, chobani.  yes the ounces are listed on the cup packaged in the cardboard sleeve, but it sure does look like false marketing
    fukahwee maine

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,123
    edited October 2022
    Options

As leader of a cabal, I approve this message.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Well and it’s not an elected office.  It’s handed out by the powers that be… on the basis of merit  =)
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,123
    Options

Well and it’s not an elected office.  It’s handed out by the powers that be… on the basis of merit  =)
    It is tenured too.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

De facto
    Options
    Legume said:
    I remember when an an egg and a piece of toast was $0.30
    Me too, when gas was $0.85/gal and I made $2.45/hr.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...