Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lawrys Seasoned Salt with Beef Bouillon Mix

Options
Trying to replicate Goldee’s Beef rub that was on a Meatchurch YT video.
They apply the 16 mesh pepper followed by a mixture of Lawrys Seasoning and Beef Bouillon.
Does anyone know what the blend ratio is or should be.
This would be for 1 plate of Beef Short Ribs.
I assume the beef bouillon would be an additional flavor enhancer since it has MSG.

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Couldn’t answer the question, but IMO, plate ribs are beefy enough and is one thing that just really needs salt and pepper, but kept us posted , I’d be curious as well 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Careful with the Beef Bouillon, it's easy to to overdo it where your BBQ tastes, for a lack of a better word, "artificial".   A lot of chain type places (Hard 8) get a little heavy handed with it on their brisket. 

That said, it's easier to just make a paste by diluting Better than Bouillon with a little soy sauce and using this as your slather. Then apply rub on top as normal.  This is one of the techniques used heavily in Adam Perry Lang's books. If you get it dialed in it can be fantastic, especially for milder/leaner cuts of beef like tenderloin and tri-tip. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I just viewed one of Jirbys YT videos from a year ago. He applied a very small amount. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    MSG!

Options
    paqman said:
    MSG!
    For the win, I’m just glad it’s becoming socially accepted again, I never stopped using it 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • dstearn
    Options
    I decided to just go with Black Pepper and Lawry’s this time. The ribs were spot on. Next time I will use Prime ribs as the only ones available were choice.
    Disclaimer, this was smoked on my Recteq RT-590.

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited October 2022
    Options
    But this is a BGE forum!  LOL. Nice cook.
    PS: Cen-Tex will not like you posting cooks on a NON-BGE grill! He is the official grill police on here….or thinks he is.
  • dstearn
    Options
    But this is a BGE forum!  LOL. Nice cook.
    PS: Cen-Tex will not like you posting cooks on a NON-BGE grill! He is the official grill police on here….or thinks he is.
    I bought the RT 590 while waiting for my XL base delivery. It works well with my XL especially for reverse sear tri tip cooks.
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Just messing with you…those Rec-Tec pellet grills are sweet.  And we all own more cookers than our BGE’s. Each grill/smoker has its special niche, and you will never buy a grill that “does it all” well. 
    Cen-Tex is being a $martass when he keeps commenting on this “being a BGE forum”. He wore that joke out a long time ago.  It’s lame now.