Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sausage-making with a KitchenAid

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,491
edited October 2022 in EggHead Forum
I just ran across this video, and I learned some things.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye6o3bWyOCc

I've made sausage with my KitchenAid grinder for about two years now.  Still using the OEM grinder but with 3rd-party grinding plates.  I tried using the stock grinder to also stuff, and that never worked well at all, ended up getting a small LEM piston-style stuffer.  Guy in the video admits too that the stuffing function for this attachment is less than desirable.  Three of the things I wasn't aware of before:

1.  Cut the raw meat/fat into 1/2" cubes before starting.  I had always gone to 1" cubes, and the auger had no problem sucking them in, but it makes sense that the motor will work much less hard if the cubes are smaller.  
2.  The second, and biggest, thing I learned was to mix the ground meat/fat with the paddle attachment, until its texture changes and becomes more homogeneous and "sticky"; that, I've never done before.  And I bet that will make a big difference in my own sausages.  Anxious to try this.
3.  The third major thing I learned was how to prep/load the natural casings.  I had a devil of a time with those; he puts some baking soda into the soaking water, and it sure looked like the casings slid on so much easier than I was able to do.  Also, poking a hole in the casing before starting the stuffing (to let air escape) makes so much sense, but not something I've done before either.  (I did learn another technique from another video recently.  I used to try to attach the end of the casing to my kitchen faucet, and get water to flow thru the full length of the casing.  That never worked; instead, I should've been just squirting in about 6" worth of water*, and then pushing it thru the full length with my fingers.)

Thought this might be useful to some here, and I'm anxious to try these things with my next batch.   

* I claim bonus points for being the first engineer to measure water in inches.  :glasses:  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    When I first started I was going to go the KA Route, found a stand alone grinder @ Harbor Freight for $50.00 ....everything on the channel is very informative and Eric will answer any questions you have .....kind of cool he will call and run things by me at times , I just make things up as I go LOL 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian