Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribeye Last Night

Options
dbCooper
dbCooper Posts: 2,082
My favorite rancher, Hannah, always amazes me with her products.  Oak Barn Beef for the win every time!  This steak from her was exceptional, 1.90 lbs...

Seasoned with SPG and on to roast at about 275...
Removed when temp hit 110 and cranked up the heat...
Gave the edges a good sear then grilled...
Sliced up and served with cheesy broccoli, it easily fed the two of us...

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
Great Plains, USA

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Great looking eats right there dbCooper!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    Nailed it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    Awesome!!!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• tcampbell
    Options
    Good looking steak. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited September 2022
    Options
    GOOD JOB - No better steak than a ribeye!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Options
    That looks fantastic!
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    WOW!!! Fantastic. You definitely did that justice👏👏
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Grogu
    Grogu Posts: 125
    Options
    Cool reverse sear setup
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    Bombdiggity!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • wwinnc
    Options
    Amazing- love a good Ribeye!  
    2 then 1 Large, 2 Medium, 1 Small !! Egging since 2013. God is good!
  • nymickey
    Options
    Greetings and Salutations !!!
    As you can see, I am a newbie.
    I had my inaugural use of a medium green egg (wish I had a large but decided to experiment with a $250 used one to see if I like it).
    Anyway, I watched a Malcom Reed Youtube on how to cook a ribeye and he put the ribeye on direct heat at 500 deg.  I did that and the outside cooked REALLY fast but the middle of it was raw.  Anyone have a fail proof recipe on a ribeye for a Pollock from NY ???
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    nymickey said:
    Greetings and Salutations !!!
    As you can see, I am a newbie.
    I had my inaugural use of a medium green egg (wish I had a large but decided to experiment with a $250 used one to see if I like it).
    Anyway, I watched a Malcom Reed Youtube on how to cook a ribeye and he put the ribeye on direct heat at 500 deg.  I did that and the outside cooked REALLY fast but the middle of it was raw.  Anyone have a fail proof recipe on a ribeye for a Pollock from NY ???
    I cook my ribeyes to internal temperature.  I like about 125-135°F.  I use a thermapen to check the temperature quickly.

If you are cooking at 500°F dome, right down near the coals, you will likely get your crust "done" before the center is at your desired done-ness.

Here are some things I would suggest.  Try one of these at a time.

1.  Move your grid further away from your coals.  You can place pop or beer cans on top of your fire ring, and this will raise your grid up.  On a medium, they may be too tall and you might have to "smash" them down a little bit.  But, you can use anything to raise them up.  Aluminum foil balls, Fire bricks, terra cotta pots, anything that won't burn or melt.  

2.  Put an indirect piece in your grill, and cook your steak to about 100°F degrees internal.  Then remove the indirect piece (plate setter or stone) and sear the steak at high heat until the center gets to your desired done-ness.  This is called reverse sear.  You can google that.

3.  Cook thinner steaks the same way you cooked the last one.

Keep experimenting!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    edited September 2022
    Options
    @dbCooper - I have been asleep at the switch.  How did I miss the above cook??  Nailed it as always and a beautiful rib eye right there.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @nymickey - welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  
    As you are aware, the key to a great outcome is the finish temperature for hot and fast cooks. Thus a good instant read thermo as things change quickly so the instant read is key to nailing the cook. 
    For low and slow cooks the feel is the determinant for declaring victory so speed of the read is not a necessary factor.  The temperature is a guide to indicate when the feel comes into play.  FWIW- 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,082
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @dbCooper - I have been asleep at the switch.  How did I miss the above cook??  Nailed it as always and a beautiful rib eye right there.  

@lousubcap For most of my life, I've tried to slip through undetected!  =)
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Well played!
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Nice looking cook!
    I think I have an Oak Barn ribeye in the freezer . . . will have look (someday)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap