Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- NYC Pizza recommendations-OT

Options
I posted the below in a prior NYC restaurant thread that was not pizza focused.  Thus the new thread-
In search of any good pizza places the collective here has to offer in NYC-(Lucali's is out due to Franklin like wait time).  
Absent anything, we (oldest son with me) will head to Little Italy.  Can't miss there.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    Good luck. I scoured the web trying to find the best ny pizza. Can’t remember the name of the place but it ended up being just ok. Pizza was good but we went way out of our way to go there and I’m sure we passed dozens of other places that were just as good. 
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    Cap, this pizza expert in Atlanta created a google map of the best pizza. Granted it’s several years old but has three-tiered opinion of ones in NY. Happy hunting in the big apple. The link is near the bottom of the page linked here. 

https://www.varasanos.com/history.php
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    Lombardi's on Spring Street, its the oldest pizza joint in NY
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    1 word: Sbarro. It's Michael Scott's fav.

On a serious note. Have had Lombardis. It was fantastic.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• kdink
    Options
    Might want to invest sometime watching The Pizza Show and watch the New York episodes,  Guy goes to a lot of the City places and even has the owner of Lucali's with him. 
  • kdink
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I posted the below in a prior NYC restaurant thread that was not pizza focused.  Thus the new thread-
    In search of any good pizza places the collective here has to offer in NYC-(Lucali's is out due to Franklin like wait time).  
    Absent anything, we (oldest son with me) will head to Little Italy.  Can't miss there.  

If you really want to try Lucali's and don't want to wait, You can order pick up and tailgate.
    My daughter lives around the corner from the place and they do pick up all the time.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Closing the loop here-Lombardi's is the current target for Saturday.  However, as has been recounted, any place away from Times Square will be great.  
    Thanks to all who have offered and the end-game is still on the table.  
    Stay healthy and safe out there-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Not pizza Frank but if you can get in I highly recommend Peter Luger.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,772
    Options
    kdink said:
    lousubcap said:

If you really want to try Lucali's and don't want to wait, You can order pick up and tailgate.
    My daughter lives around the corner from the place and they do pick up all the time.
    Would go here. Where else would you want the famous clam zaaa....

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Like Grand Canyon, I've never been to NYC but I've seen it in the distance.
    This morning the CBS News folks gave high praise to a place in Brooklyn called Luigi's, but I would've thought every third pizza place in NY would be called "Luigi's", so I guess I'm no help.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• CornfedMA
    Options
    John’s of Bleecker and Joe’s in Greenwich Village. 

SWMBO is in the city a couple weeks per month and loves both. 
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Too bad you are not in Chicago. Pequod’s deep dish is rated as one of the best. Much better than having to fold a soggy NY slice. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    dstearn said:
    Too bad you are not in Chicago. Pequod’s deep dish is rated as one of the best. 
    That’s not pizza, that’s a casserole.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    dstearn said:
    https://youtu.be/jCgYMFtxUUw

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,772
    Options
    dstearn said:
    Too bad you are not in Chicago. Pequod’s deep dish is rated as one of the best. Much better than having to fold a soggy NY slice. 
    You need to try a new england Greek where the tasty grease drips off your elbow, well the stuff you don't lick of your hand and fore arm. Made by Greeks, not actually a Greek pizza.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dstearn
    Options
    dstearn said:
    There are actually 3 types of pizza that are considered Chicago Style. Most people think that the Gino’s Deep Dish is Chicago pizza. Not my personal favorite but more popular with tourists. Pequod’s is more of a traditional pizza that is pan style. The difference is that the pie is assembled in a cast iron pan. The cheese is draped over the dough which creates a carmelized crust which is very unique.

The 3rd Chicago style is thin crust Bar or Tavern style pizza. It is served square cut or party style. This is my personal favorite and the one that I make at home. The dough is rolled thin and the sauce is end to end. 

I live in Tucson now and there is only one restaurant the serves thin crust party cut pizza but it is an 50 minute drive to pick one up.

I have tried to like NY style pizza have had it several times. But the crust is not as crisp and having to fold a slice is not my thing. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    dstearn said:
    dstearn said:
    There are actually 3 types of pizza that are considered Chicago Style. Most people think that the Gino’s Deep Dish is Chicago pizza. Not my personal favorite but more popular with tourists. Pequod’s is more of a traditional pizza that is pan style. The difference is that the pie is assembled in a cast iron pan. The cheese is draped over the dough which creates a carmelized crust which is very unique.

Here is a photo from Pequod’s.  I’ll let people here decide if it looks more casserole than pizza (the answer is casserole):

• dstearn
    Options
    Don’t knock it till you try it. The so called casserole pizza was Ginos deep dish.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    dstearn said:
    dstearn said:

Here is a photo from Pequod’s.  I’ll let people here decide if it looks more casserole than pizza (the answer is casserole):

Casserole or not that looks friggin delicious 

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    edited September 2022
    Options
    There is really no consensus as to what is real NY style pizza. The big pie slices that we fold to eat is certainly one NY style. But the purported original NY pie was the Neopolitan style originating at Lombardos according to most stories. Then Lombardo employees branced out on their own to start Totannos, Johns of Bleeker Street and Patsys. Then more left to start Grimaldis. I reccomend Johns Of Bleeker Street if you like Neopolitan style. I think better than Lombardos and Grimaldis. Never tried Patsys or Totannos yet. 

Then next time on East coast come to New Haven Connecticut and try Frank Pepe's, Sally's and Modern. Pepe's and Modern have wonderful white clam pies that are a nice change of pace. And those three I would back in any battle of best pizza city.

Jim

PS...Chicago style is not pizza! (although I will eat some gladly)
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    dstearn said:
    Don’t knock it till you try it. The so called casserole pizza was Ginos deep dish.
    I lived in Chicago for four years. Tried most of the better known places.  I actually like it, I really just don’t think of it the same way I view “pizza”.  For what it’s worth I came to mostly like the thin crust style out there, too. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Since I inadvertently started the pizza debate I will say I only made it to one and it was Lombardi's last night.  Thus no comparison  but it was neopolitan and just what was desired.  Thanks to all for the inputs and let the debate carry on.  BTW- where is the Detroit crowd??
  • dstearn
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Since I inadvertently started the pizza debate I will say I only made it to one and it was Lombardi's last night.  Thus no comparison  but it was neopolitan and just what was desired.  Thanks to all for the inputs and let the debate carry on.  BTW- where is the Detroit crowd??
    Next, ask for a hot dog restaurant recommendation and that will start another debate.
    :-)
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    dstearn said:
    lousubcap said:
    Next, ask for a hot dog restaurant recommendation and that will start another debate.
    Grays papaya

• mehsrea
    Options
    Suprema by MSG. you’d think it’s a tourist trap given the location. But this place was here before the Garden. Great old school slice.
  • dstearn
    edited September 2022
    Options
    dstearn said:
    lousubcap said:
    Grays papaya
    Ketchup on a hot dog is illegal in Chicago.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    dstearn said:
    dstearn said:
    lousubcap said:
    Grays papaya

• CornfedMA
    Options
    dstearn said:
    dstearn said:
    lousubcap said:
    Grays papaya
    It should be illegal everywhere for all people over the age 10!