Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cowboy lump on sale at Costco

Options
Seen this today and bought 10 bags (would of bought more but I didn’t think I could fit the grocery’s and more than 10 bags in my Jetta)

been looking out for cheapest lump coal for a while and this on sale is by far the cheapest, $15.99 a bag here in Canada. Royal oak was close to cowboy from Costco but my last trip to Canadian tire it seems they have raised their price for it. 

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Sweet catch!!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Have you tried this lump before? So it's $4 off regular $19.99.  Costco Business Center in Scarborough carries the green/white 8kg bags of Basques at $17.99 year round since it caters to the food industry, it's less risky than Cowboy lol.
    canuckland
  • Mr1egg
    Mr1egg Posts: 368
    Options
    Ya I’ve been using cowboy all summer this year since I found it at Costco, I don’t personally like using briquettes. I’ve been meaning to try them but am always scared to buy them. 
  • bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    Options
    Lighting your lump will be a sparky fire hazard for a long time with the size of that cart.

You will also likely need a larger bucket to dispose of the ash, hope those are onsale too.
    If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • Mr1egg
    Options
    I wish I could of bought more
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    thats all i buy now, no need to buy anything else. its cheap, convenient, and burns nice
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mr1egg
    Options
    Exactly, to me lump is lump some might be better but at this price point it’s a no brainer. 
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    I’m clearly doing something wrong. I’ve had to use this on 2 different occasions and both times were a disaster. Last time I let it burn for close to an hour and the chicken still tasted terrible. Does it need longer than an hour to but off before putting the food on? 
    Snellville, GA

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I’m clearly doing something wrong. I’ve had to use this on 2 different occasions and both times were a disaster. Last time I let it burn for close to an hour and the chicken still tasted terrible. Does it need longer than an hour to but off before putting the food on? 
    It works for some people. I didn't make it through my first bag before I just use the rest of it in the fire pit. People also really like the kamado Joe lump. I can't stand the stuff. Maybe I'm just high maintenance.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • fishlessman
    Options
    have had no problems with cowboy in the last couple years, before that it was iffey, lots of unburnt logs.
    fukahwee maine

• Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    Is Frontier the same as this stuff?
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Ok so maybe I used it prior to them making improvements. It’s been probably 4 years or so since last attempt. If I see it for on sale for free I’ll give it another shot sometime. 
    Snellville, GA

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    I agree, I tried a bag once and it smelled astringent almost like there was an accelerant in there.    I'll keep with my B&B but to each their own.
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Ok so maybe I used it prior to them making improvements. It’s been probably 4 years or so since last attempt. If I see it for on sale for free I’ll give it another shot sometime. 

it went from wood flooring scrap to black unburnt branches that stunk to lump over the years.  the flooring board scrap was actually clean burning and burned hot but people couldnt get past the tongue and groove pieces. the black branch faze was brutal and had that chemical smell.
    fukahwee maine

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I will say this about Costco- If they have it, it has been rigorously tested and inspected. If they put these guys through half the hoops they put me through, I would expect the quality to be well above what I understand this lump to be. I have used it in the past and didn't get through the bag as some others have stared above. It was like burning a chemical fire.

As someone who sells a lot of stuff to Costco, they are the bane of my existence most of the time. That said, knowing what they put me and everyone I know who sells to them through, if they have something on the shelf, I assume it is high quality enough to try at least once.

Until I experience otherwise, I would assume Cowboy has upped their game in a big way to get the solo spot in Costco for Lump. If they get bad reviews or returns from members, that stuff will be gone so fast it will make your head swim. And Cowboy will pay for the privilege of taking it all back. I literally have to answer for every member complaint, no matter how small.

I'm not grabbing a cart full, but I'll grab a bag next time I'm in there checking on my stuff. Nearest Costco is an hour from me since the move and the Ace 10 min from my house brings in 20 bags of Rockwood any time I order it. I'm happy with that but always interested in what else is going on out there.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mr1egg
    Options
    Fantastic coal right there fellas. Almost free at this price point. 
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    I've had bad luck at Costco with Cowboy lump, usually very small pieces.   Must be how they handle the bags.   Did the 'flip' test on 4-5 bags and got 1 which sounded ok, the other ones sounded like dust.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options

Damn!! Down to my last bag😳
  • Canugghead
    Options
    EggNorth said:
    I've had bad luck at Costco with Cowboy lump, usually very small pieces.   Must be how they handle the bags.   Did the 'flip' test on 4-5 bags and got 1 which sounded ok, the other ones sounded like dust.
    I’m too weak to flip, instead I shake/listen and check for headspace  =)
    canuckland
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I have a Costco bag my neighbour gave me and it’s fine. I first tried it in Florida (was in a brown bag) and was like burning asphalt 😳. This is not the same 
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Mr1egg
    Options
    Ya this new one is probably the best lump out there 
  • Canugghead
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Just called a local Costco, they have 200+ bags on hand! Should have no problem cherry picking. Haven’t bought lumps in over five years, my stash is running low at less than ten bags.
    Edit: If they don’t move, there’s a chance they’ll  sell for less as store-specific clearance. Current $4 discount is chainwide.
    canuckland
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Mr1egg said:

Clinton, Iowa
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I will say this about Costco- If they have it, it has been rigorously tested and inspected. If they put these guys through half the hoops they put me through, I would expect the quality to be well above what I understand this lump to be. I have used it in the past and didn't get through the bag as some others have stared above. It was like burning a chemical fire.

As someone who sells a lot of stuff to Costco, they are the bane of my existence most of the time. That said, knowing what they put me and everyone I know who sells to them through, if they have something on the shelf, I assume it is high quality enough to try at least once.

Until I experience otherwise, I would assume Cowboy has upped their game in a big way to get the solo spot in Costco for Lump. If they get bad reviews or returns from members, that stuff will be gone so fast it will make your head swim. And Cowboy will pay for the privilege of taking it all back. I literally have to answer for every member complaint, no matter how small.

I'm not grabbing a cart full, but I'll grab a bag next time I'm in there checking on my stuff. Nearest Costco is an hour from me since the move and the Ace 10 min from my house brings in 20 bags of Rockwood any time I order it. I'm happy with that but always interested in what else is going on out there.
    What are your products at Costco? I'm not a member, but do you do Sam's Club
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited September 2022
    Options
    RyanStl said:

What are your products at Costco? I'm not a member, but do you do Sam's Club

I sell both. I don't want to out myself by brand on here as it's now somehow cool to threaten people's place of work, but we sell both of them pool stuff and some furniture as well. We do a very large business with all the clubs- Costco is the king, of course. They make me not ever want to check my emails or answer my phone, but they are a great customer none the less. They are the apex predator of retail right now.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Mr1egg said:

I would probably tap the brakes on that one a little ha ha. Unless the only thing the same about it is the bag, I remain highly skeptical until I get my hands on some. And based on past experience, I'm not in a big hurry.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Mr1egg said:

I would probably tap the brakes on that one a little ha ha. Unless the only thing the same about it is the bag, I remain highly skeptical until I get my hands on some. And based on past experience, I'm not in a big hurry.

my supermarket and lowes carries it, that bag is $15.99 and 16 pounds
    fukahwee maine

• johnmitchell
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    Mr1egg said:

😏😏😂😂😂
  • newby84
    newby84 Posts: 133
    Options
    I’ve Been using this brand for a few years now, I’m kind of sad I haven’t seen it at my local Costco in several months. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Well it can’t be any worse than that Kamoda Joe big block lump I bought 3 years or so ago. I used it exactly one time.