Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need kitchen knife recommendations!

Options
jonessteave
jonessteave Posts: 78
edited August 2022 in EggHead Forum
I come to the experts for advice...my husband wants a new set of kitchen knives for our cabin and gave me the green light to pick them out. We've got a set of Global knives at home that he picked, but I don't love the all-one-piece construction, and I'm not sure I want another convex ground set. So, looking for a small set in the kinda middle $200-300 price range, ideally with at least a paring knife, a small chef's knife, and a large chef's steak knives.
#shieldon knives
Any suggestions?

In a perfect world, I'd buy the Spyderco Murray Carter Superblue knives and call it a day, but they're more than hubby wants to spend. So I've been looking at Shun, Boker, and Henckels, but I have no idea which brands to trust. I'm also not as familiar with the common kitchen knife steels like X50CrMoV15, VG-Max, and MBS-26. How do they compare with BD1N, VG-10, and Superblue on the Spyderco kitchen knives?

Thanks for any help or advice!

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Depending on how intent you are at buying a set, I would instead opt for a single, great knife at the price point you mention. This will achieve something more in line with your budgetary target while also giving him a special kitchen tool. With a good knife, it is easy and extremely enjoyable to use a single blade for all tasks - from veggies to meat to bread to just about anything. Truth be told, I sometimes even use my best knives to open packages. 😊 As far as steels, aogami (Blue Super) is pretty hard to beat. I have some nice knives in VG-10 and they don’t compare, IMO. My SS sits on the knife rack. The aogamis basically never need sharpening. These days, lots of knife makers are cladding the aogami in stainless steel to ease maintenance and prevent rusting, which is nice. 

I cannot think of a kitchen tool or apparatus that has given me more joy in the kitchen than a good knife. Hope whatever choice you make for your husband gives him as much pleasure. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Although Hubbie left it up to you, to me the most important thing about any kitchen knife is how it fits your hand, steel be damned.  I'd march him down to your local kitchenware emporium, and have him try different knives, and find the one that he likes in his own hand.  Then buy those, and don't cheap out and buy them from amazoid or other; that brick-n-mortar store allowed you to find the perfect fit, buy it from them.  
    I'm 6'5", and have big mitts.  The only knives that fit my hand comfortably were the Henckels 5-Stars; expensive but I've been happy with them for 35 years.  Cooks Illustrated has repeating knife tests, and the Victorinox knives always come out on top; but I've had a chance to use them for meals, and their handles are so thin and shallow, they are almost useless to me.  
    Again, I feel how a handle fits in your hand, is everything.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Not a set of knives , just a couple you will use ..a flexible boning, a heavy chef and a cleaver fits the bill for me , all well under your target finance 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I have a couple Shun Primier and Classic.  I'd say save money and get classic.  VG-Max is Shun's proprietary VG-10.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Shieldon knives are survival and EDC knives, apparently.  They aren't Kitchen Knives.  I understand why your husband is busting your back about knives if that is what you want in your cabin kitchen.

I gather this from their terribly formatted and poorly edited website.  I have noticed every one of your posts contains a link to a website that has these same issues.  

Why do you link to things that aren't part of the conversation?  It feels cringy, to be honest.  I always feel like I got scammed when I click one of your links.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    You guys are talking to a bot. @jonessteave is a computer.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options

This is the original post it copied and pasted to this forum.

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    So much for Elon Musk buying this forum.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Well ****. I hate it when that happens. Just wait, won't be long before they are running things.
  • BigreenGreg
    Options
    Already are.
    #matrix
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Murder Knife Images  Free Vectors Stock Photos  PSD  Page 4
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    Options
    Any suggestions?
    The current edition of Consumer Reports has a review on knives.  You buy a one-time access via their web site, or stop by your local library.

One thing to note is that manufacturers have different lines.  I started buying individual Wusthof knives.  I later saw one that I thought was a great deal.  After I bought it (on-line), I realized it was from their lower line. 
    Raleigh, NC