Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wagyu tritip

Options
golfguyjosh
golfguyjosh Posts: 196
Soooo I got suckered to come out of retirement.... 

Now I have never eaten nor cooked wagyu before. I bought 5 pounds of wagyu tritip. Any of the other masters out there cooked it before? Normally my Angus tritip I cook it fast then sear and eat. Should I cook it slow? 
Jacksonville, FL

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I am far from considering myself a master but if you are equipped for sous-vide, give it a try @ 131F and then finish caveman style directly on the coals.  Reverse sear and finish on the coals is another good option but I prefer sous-vide.  It is not commonly available here so it is a treat and I only discovered it a little over a year ago.

Options
    That’s how you slice it

Options
    I'd stick with hot and fast.  A good steak, montreal or pepper based beef seasoning is best, in my opinion.  If you can, raised grid direct until it's 120-125º internal and then drop down low , just above the coals to sear each side.  Rest for 10 minutes lightly tented and cut according to the picture above.  I tend to score a line where the grain changes before cooking, because it's easier that way.  Above temps are if you like Med Rare in the center.  I've done several wagyu tri tips and they are very good.  
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • golfguyjosh
    Options
    I have cooked more pounds of tritip (Angus) then I care to admit lol. So the slicing yes I know easiest way to ruin a perfect cook. Mayberry i am thinking the same. I have 2 pieces at 2.5 pounds each. I guess I can do one the hard and fast then caveman finish. The second I can do the slow cook and see which is better. Just don't want to mess up wagyu.... 
    Jacksonville, FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    @golfguyjosh -with your many, many tri-tip cooks remember the process is always the same regardless of meat pedigree.  I would check for your target temp earlier than your usual guesstimate but beyond that, go with what you know.
    Nice score BTW.   (no master here-just old).  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    I run them 275 till the bark is set to my liking , don't really check IT, I slice super thin ....
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Exactly like @lousubcap said.  If you have a method that worked for you in the past, why change it?

As you can see in the picture, green masking tape really helps slicing even slices!

Options
    So I am cooking it now. Just pulled to do a caveman sear. I will have pictures in a few. 
    Jacksonville, FL
  • golfguyjosh
    Options
    Always have to start it in the micro for 25 mins to get the perfect temp lolol... I kid I kid. But it keeps it safe from the dogs
    Jacksonville, FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    @golfguyjosh - my preferred cook and follow-on eat time right there.  Late wins over early always. 
    I am likely to transition to LEO before tonight's end game but I am sure you will deliver the goods.  Enjoy the cook and eats.  A banquet waiting to happen.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • golfguyjosh
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @golfguyjosh - my preferred cook and follow-on eat time right there.  Late wins over early always. 
    I am likely to transition to LEO before tonight's end game but I am sure you will deliver the goods.  Enjoy the cook and eats.  A banquet waiting to happen.  
    I just cut a piece to see..... While it is resting for a few minutes. I couldn't resist. Holy **** is it good. Now seeing how this reacts. I can sear it really hard. I have another 2.5 pound piece for sunday
    Jacksonville, FL
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,052
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Looks great!  I have personally found wagyu benefits from a slightly higher finish temp.  I finish prime around 115, but will go up to 125-130 with Wagyu, even higher doesn't hurt much.  The fat really protects it.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS