Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

'Smobot offline'

Options
Hi everyone. Looking for some smobot help. I've had mine for years, always worked fine but recently it connects to my wifi (I can see it on my Eero / mesh app that it's connected) but in the app and website it says 'smobot offline'. Sometimes after a few hours it shows up, but this is obviously not ideal.

Am currently cooking pork, and of course have no idea what the internal temp is, unless I lift the BGE lid and probe it. I've logged a support ticket with smobot but any advice welcome. Does the smobot network (if that's a thing?) go offline sometimes?

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,354
    Options
    In situations where one can't get a WiFi connection going you can put the Smobot into access point mode and you can read the temp on the Smobot itself, you won't need to open the dome and use a manual probe to read the meat temp.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    In situations where one can't get a WiFi connection going you can put the Smobot into access point mode and you can read the temp on the Smobot itself, you won't need to open the dome and use a manual probe to read the meat temp.
    I actually tried that but both my laptop and iphone refused to connect to the smobot directly.

I heard back from smobot who advised to reboot router - which I'll try next time, but it was working fine 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Occasionally Smobot drops the ball. When that happens, it can be down a couple hours, and I have to go out and check the temp.

I quit using it after I got used to my egg, and the time it takes to cook. Seldom have I had an issue.

Smobot is a pretty cool tool, and does a great job, and Useful if you are busy all day and night.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky