Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New style hinge assembly

Options
hondabbq
hondabbq Posts: 1,980
I have LBGE at about 7-8 years old and am putting it on a new deck. while I have it apart I am wondering if I should switch to the new hinge style that is available. 
Anyone done the switch? Was it better than the old style? 

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    the new hinge has less access room than the older one. i would keep using it till it no longer works if you are not having any particular issues with it now.  the way these bands have been upgraded over the years...well there could be an even newer band coming down the road.....
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,059
    Options
    Have done it.  For sure it is easier to put on and adjust.  It does not let the top open quite as far as the original - that is the one downside to be aware of.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Thanks fellas. I did read that it doesnt open as wide. The hinge I have functions fine but I had to take it apart to move last year and it took forever to adjust the lid to get a proper close, and I have to do that again in the next week or so and I figured while it was apart to just make the change. 

Keep the comments coming!
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 949
    Options
    I would keep the old band until it broke up, then see what the lead singer does afterwards, to determine if you want to follow that person, because it would be closest to the sound of the old band. If the lead singer goes solo, he's not a band anymore, so you'll be forced to get a new band anyway.

The 4th of July ribs are on. Yesterday morning the fuzzy little misses StumpBaby saw some dry scallops that she loves. I saw her see those scallops, and have never wanted be a dry scallop more than at that moment. 

Let me know if you need more bandaid.

SB
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I have had both bands.  The differences, to me:

1.  (as stated) New bands don't open as far, or at the same angle.  This prevents the use of "the claw" to remove the plate setter.  I liked my claw.
    2.  New bands have "oh-crud" tabs on the top band to "prevent"(?) the dome from falling (slipping) out.  Nice feature.
    3.  New bands are easier to adjust, or maybe easier because you don't have to adjust them.  I have zero over/under bite.
    4.  Opening and closing force is nearly identical.  I do not think one outshines the other.
    5.  The new bands allow you to use the integrated nest/handler, which is really nice!  I am not sure if you are putting it in a table, but if not, you might want to spring for the new nest if you move it much.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,042
    Options
    I changed over to the new style hinge and am happy I did.  As stated above, it doesn’t open as wide, but I am no longer constantly fighting my lid adjustment.  In fact, it’s been probably 2.5 years and it is still perfectly aligned.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • elpescadorzih
    Options
    MotownVol said:
    I changed over to the new style hinge and am happy I did.  As stated above, it doesn’t open as wide, but I am no longer constantly fighting my lid adjustment.  In fact, it’s been probably 2.5 years and it is still perfectly aligned.
    Same here.
    I don't do large cooks on my LG, so no issue as I have an XL for large cooks.