Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - LED LIGHT FLICKER - OT

Options
kl8ton
kl8ton Posts: 5,429
We have LED lights in the office.  They all flicker.  We have Fridges, Freezers, slushie machies, laser printers, etc. all in use as well.  These LEDs are on 4 separate switches.  If I print, they dim significantly.  Most have a consistent flicker.  Researching on the web has been zero help.  Does anyone have experience with getting these things to stop flickering?  No dimmers.  Can I install capacitors of some sort to "buffer" the electric supply?  Thanks in advance!
Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
Grand Rapids MI

Comments

• kl8ton
    Options

Here is a sideways pic of one of the fixtures.  
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    Options

Tried the buffalo's idea of horizontal pic.  It worked! Android. 
    Grand Rapids MI
  • stripedbass
    Options
    Possible loose neutral.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    I have been adding new LED lights to our home and adding Leviton Decora Rocker Slide Universal Dimmer DSL06-1LZ not because of flicker but the newer LED fixtures are so bright.

I know you said no dimmers but:

The Leviton Sureslide 6674-10W does not require neutral. You don't have to use the dimming function but you can adjust the switch to modify the minimum light level in order to maximize the dimming range if flickering occurs at lower dimming levels.  

It is also possible you need to add a separate circuit if your electrical panel has room just for those lights since they dim when you use the printer. With fridges and freezer compressors kicking on at different intervals and pulling more power you may not have enough power for the LED's light levels to remain constant and not flicker.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • kl8ton
    Options
    I might be able to run a separate circuit.  It will be a pain.  It's a double wide mobile home basically.  Textured ceiling.  Probably 4 inches from texture to shingles.  I have a 100 amp service coming in at one end and when that was tapped out we pulled another 100 in at the other end.  I'm not opposed to one circuit and running surface mount conduit. 
    Grand Rapids MI
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I might be able to run a separate circuit.  It will be a pain.  It's a double wide mobile home basically.  Textured ceiling.  Probably 4 inches from texture to shingles.  I have a 100 amp service coming in at one end and when that was tapped out we pulled another 100 in at the other end.  I'm not opposed to one circuit and running surface mount conduit. 
    I’m not sure another circuit would help, it would be cheaper to get some incandescent light bulbs and die on different hill.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 940
    edited July 2022
    Options
    It's a good thing you fixed that picture. Your nerds rope was swinging sideways and almost  took a fun dip along with your junior mints, right into your kit Kat, which would have left you with goobers around your raisinets and a sour jolly rancher. Depending on the nerds rope, the amount of your almonds joy, your wax Nik-L-Nips, and what your milky ways, there could be snickers behind your back, then mounds up front, then you could have sugar babies, which you'll name Babe Ruth, Hubba,  Bubba Mike and Ike, and  the last one you'll call  whatchamacallit because you're an air head.

My point is this, lighting is the least of your problem. Watch the candy ... they seem sweet till the nerds rope goes sideways.

SB
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    LED’s pull minimal amps on a circuit, and should never flicker.  Check the Neutral lug in your service box, and the ground bar.  Make sure both connectors are tight, and tighten all screws on the ground bar also.  
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,434
    Options
    Agree with weak/loose neutral. You’re having a brown out at capacity pulls. 
  • kl8ton
    Options
    I do miss incandescent.    Every time I replace an LED bulb I think this will outlast me and then here I am 4 months later. . . 
    Grand Rapids MI
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Thanks Obama 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    Options
    Do they flicker non stop or when something pulls a load like ac
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• kl8ton
    Options
    Not non stop.  

AC never shuts off. We have 2 ice cream freezers,  a huge glass front beverage fridge,  supplementary AC, slushie machine,  a huge residential fridge/ freezer and electric water heater.....
    Grand Rapids MI
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I know I’m not being helpful, and apologize in advance… but, every time I see the thread title on the main page, I see “ LED LIGHT FVCKER”

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • kl8ton
    Options
     :D 
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Had similar issues with only certain plugs and lights in our house having intermittent power issues in last 25 years. Both times it was a connection gone bad at our weatherhead with main power connection. Just takes a loose connection on one of the 3 wires to cause issues.
    I would also check your ground wire connection to your fuse box on the grounding rod.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I do miss incandescent.    Every time I replace an LED bulb I think this will outlast me and then here I am 4 months later. . . 
    As someone who sells these.... Some last a short time, some last a very long time.  I just had one fail sometime in the last few days thats lasted 5+ years running 12/7/365.

What kills LED- Heat.  They dont live well in enclosed fixtures or in very hot environments unless you buy them rated for that.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    So chalk up to the you never know what the issue is in what is now Electronic Lighting.

I have a Lutron Casetta Smart home system that controls my exterior lighting.  The porch light quit working the other day- fine the lamps have been burning 12/7/365 for 7 years.  Because of the age I didnt have a matching replacement (Amber glass filament) so I tried the one on the R below just to get by.  Night one comes on fine, next morning the switch is showing fault and the light is dim but strobing.  Lutron forums lend me to think something faulted on power and to pull load to switch for 30 seconds or so and restart.  All back connected and manually turning light on/ off at switch worked great, but using software it went into fault again on off.  So went into garage and grabbed another clear lamp (on L) and that solved the issue.

So what used to be all Analog Switches/ Dimming/ Filaments can now easily go wonky with all the various electronics involved.  Now I have to go find (3) matching Amber coated filament that will work with the Lutron system.  Oh and these are all Philips lamps rated to work with Lutron Dimmers.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 940
    Options

xfire_ATX said:
    So chalk up to the you never know what the issue is in what is now Electronic Lighting.

I have a Lutron Casetta Smart home system that controls my exterior lighting.  The porch light quit working the other day- fine the lamps have been burning 12/7/365 for 7 years.  Because of the age I didnt have a matching replacement (Amber glass filament) so I tried the one on the R below just to get by.  Night one comes on fine, next morning the switch is showing fault and the light is dim but strobing.  Lutron forums lend me to think something faulted on power and to pull load to switch for 30 seconds or so and restart.  All back connected and manually turning light on/ off at switch worked great, but using software it went into fault again on off.  So went into garage and grabbed another clear lamp (on L) and that solved the issue.

So what used to be all Analog Switches/ Dimming/ Filaments can now easily go wonky with all the various electronics involved.  Now I have to go find (3) matching Amber coated filament that will work with the Lutron system.  Oh and these are all Philips lamps rated to work with Lutron Dimmers.

You have the nicest pair of bulbs any man has ever sent me a picture of on the internet. You're left one is a little bigger than your right one, luckily for you, they're still both light bulbs, so even though one is clearly bigger, it won't make you lean in that direction when you stand in the shower.  BTW, you're right one has a yellow spider on it, I hope it's not a yellow sac spider, their bite could make that bulb swell to be twice as big as the other one, and I'm guessing it WILL be heavier then. If that happens, you'll have to decide to just lean right until the swelling goes down, or just put a yellow sac spider on the other side to even them up again.  I can see now why you want your bulbs to match perfectly, then you don't have to lean, if one is lighter than the other, for whatever reason.