Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burn Out Question

Options
After owning our Large BGE for over a year it is past time to burn it out. We use it a lot. My question is can I burn out the stainless steel grates at the same time, or will 700 F + damage them?

Tks for any suggestions.
Bruce Dimick from Central Wisconsin

Comments

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    I let 'er rip ONCE and whole thing got too hot to get near.     Seriously, wrapped the thermometer around to past zero on the 2nd lap.
    A transparent / blue / yellow flame was coming out the top!
    But egg got cleaner than clean....not quite new, but the lower end was back to cream color.
    And yes, the melting point of the grate should be enough higher than you can get to render it 'proof' against such treatment.   
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Fill er up with lump and dial in about 700 and let it go till it burns out.
    No reason to go nuclear as it's just tougher on the Egg, bands and gasket.
    Several hours at 700 will clean it out enough. If your cooking grate is really gunked up, leave it in the Egg. If not, take it out. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    Options
    @Photo Egg has stated it perfectly.  Can’t go wrong with this method.  Although there are many who will just let it rip(and this method works well too) this method puts unnecessary stress on the thermometer and bands IMHO.  Cook on
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    What is the driver for the burn-out?  Unless your cooks are impacted then you may want to reconsider.  Cleaning for flavour is one thing, high-heat for high-heat brings a few potential downsides.  FWIW-
    And there are a few of us who figure that some sort of reasonable high heat cook will do the job.  Caveman steak cooks, anything rolling at 400*F or more works for me-paella, pizza etc.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    What is the driver for the burn-out?  Unless your cooks are impacted then you may want to reconsider.  Cleaning for flavour is one thing, high-heat for high-heat brings a few potential downsides.  FWIW-
    And there are a few of us who figure that some sort of reasonable high heat cook will do the job.  Caveman steak cooks, anything rolling at 400*F or more works for me-paella, pizza etc.  
    I was going to suggest cooking a pizza.  The grates will change color but will be fine.  Personally I wouldn’t do a clean burn just to do a clean burn.

Options
    lousubcap said:

i used to cook alot of low and slow chicken thighs, pretty much every weekend on my weekend egg. the build up in the dome gets pretty impressive over a summer of these cooks. then in the fall did a brunswick stew,  big pieces steamed off the dome and into the brunswick like tarpaper.  it depends what your main cooks are, if you change up the temps regularly it doesnt build up that way. its not a good addition to a brunswick stew
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    Thought this was going to be about being burned out 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Just don’t fade away.
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Thought this was going to be about being burned out 

i was hoping.....a conversation i could actually add something to
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    Agree with @lousubcap.  I do enough higher heat cooks on all my Eggs to keep them clean enough.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • WoodworkerBED
    Options
    Thanks to all. I have purchased new gasket material and will give her a burnout when I have time.   Bruce