Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Father's day gift

Options
So my son wants to get me something for father's day, but I don't want him to spend a lot.  Thinking of this but not really sure.
Part of me thinks that I can use my cast iron pans to cook veggies, so I don't need this.

https://biggreenegg.com/product/half-moon-perforated-cooking-grid/

So if not that, what would you recommend? I want to keep it $100 or less

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Do you have an instant read thermometer? 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • JohnfromKentucky
    Options
    Yes, that was my first purchase :) 
    I also have a Meater+ that I like. 

Now looking at the pizza stone....
  • bbracey21
    bbracey21 Posts: 319
    Options
    How about a cast iron baking pan that can also double as a pizza stone? Fits perfectly in the LBGE.
  • WeberWho
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the Kick Ash Basket 

Minnesota
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I like the perforated 1/2 grid for mixed veggies or potato’s and onions etc. it’s a small pita to clean but not terrible. Lots of good choices though. 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    Kick Ash basket is a good choice as @WeberWho says .

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,431
    Options
    Get a ThermoWorks Smoke. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Get a Lodge Double play. Use mine all the time for blackening on the egg. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• EggNashville
    EggNashville Posts: 243
    Options
    How about a SRF tri tip…under $100 and you guys can enjoy it together!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I like the perforated 1/2 grid for mixed veggies or potato’s and onions etc. it’s a small pita to clean but not terrible. Lots of good choices though. 
    Come on, Pete...we know who does the cleaning chores at your place! B)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    Options
    Sounds like you already have been given a gift @JohnfromKentucky
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 940
    Options
    "Come on, Pete...we know who does the cleaning chores at your place!"

I don't know who does the cleaning chores at Pete's  place. Now that I think of it, I don't know who does any kind of the chores at Pete's place. Hell ..  I'm starting to think I don't even know Pete at all, or how clean his place is ...

• JohnfromKentucky
    Options
    Sounds like you already have been given a gift @JohnfromKentucky
    Yup, my son is the best gift. 
  • JohnfromKentucky
    Options
    @bbracey21
    I looked on Lodge's site and don't see that. They do have a pizza one but it's sold out
  • bbracey21
    bbracey21 Posts: 319
    Options
    @bbracey21
    I looked on Lodge's site and don't see that. They do have a pizza one but it's sold out
    I found mine at the Lodge Factory store in South Pittsburg, TN (right outside of Chattanooga). 
    I went in looking for the 15” pizza one but the sales associate told me the 15” wouldn’t fit on the LBGE due to the handles and showed me the 14” baking pan - which fits perfectly. They sell BGE there and of course I had to try it out for myself. Of course she was right.
  • TWags15
    TWags15 Posts: 71
    Options
    All great choices. Mentioned it elsewhere, but The Ocho from Meat Church ($65) is high on my FD wish list. Also cool that responses to this thread provided an unintended mini review on the Kick Ash Basket. Been meaning to ask if it’s worth it, but nice start. Still looking for some why’s (current process isn’t all that bothersome to me), and if it’s some sort of a game-changer, I’d probably fire on it.
    Tim
    Large BGE (2020), Outdoor Kitchen (Summer 2021)
    Aurora, IL
  • WeberWho
    Options
    TWags15 said:
    All great choices. Mentioned it elsewhere, but The Ocho from Meat Church ($65) is high on my FD wish list. Also cool that responses to this thread provided an unintended mini review on the Kick Ash Basket. Been meaning to ask if it’s worth it, but nice start. Still looking for some why’s (current process isn’t all that bothersome to me), and if it’s some sort of a game-changer, I’d probably fire on it.
    With the Small BGE the KAB is a game changer. The Small BGE is notorious for its lack of air flow. The KAB really helps open up the Small BGE to higher temps that were much harder to achieve prior. I also have one for my Large BGE but the KAB wasn't necessarily purchased for any air flow restrictions as it was more for basic cleanup. 

The biggest benefit besides the air flow that I liked with the KAB was that I could visually see the ash I was cleaning out with the ash tool when I removed the KAB. I've recently paired up my KAB with a Kick Ash Can to make clean up is an absolute breeze. A couple shakes over the garbage with KAB and a quick dump of the Kick Ash Can and you have yourself a clean egg. No more stirring around the lump and running an ash tool through the vent. 

It's one of those very few accessories that you will use every single cook. You can buy all kinds of accessories but how often are you going to use them? I'd say 80-90% of accessories we purchase for the BGE end up sitting on shelves not being used but thought we really needed. I'm not saying the accessories aren't needed or not used but how many accessories do we have that are used every cook? Not many. The KAB is one of those items I use every since cook. To me it's worth the cost. Just my two cents.....

Minnesota
  • JohnfromKentucky
    Options
    Right now I don't think a KAB is high on my priority list. I don't mind cleaning my Large egg out and using the shop vac to get it really cleaned out.

@bbracey21
    I have been there. We picked up a pot from them. It's not TOO far but just far enough that I can't just scoot down there quickly
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Do you have a Smokeware Cap?  I love mine, they are about $50 and your son will see you using it every time you use the egg.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    TWags15 said:
    With the Small BGE the KAB is a game changer. The Small BGE is notorious for its lack of air flow. The KAB really helps open up the Small BGE to higher temps that were much harder to achieve prior. I also have one for my Large BGE but the KAB wasn't necessarily purchased for any air flow restrictions as it was more for basic cleanup. 

The biggest benefit besides the air flow that I liked with the KAB was that I could visually see the ash I was cleaning out with the ash tool when I removed the KAB. I've recently paired up my KAB with a Kick Ash Can to make clean up is an absolute breeze. A couple shakes over the garbage with KAB and a quick dump of the Kick Ash Can and you have yourself a clean egg. No more stirring around the lump and running an ash tool through the vent. 

It's one of those very few accessories that you will use every single cook. You can buy all kinds of accessories but how often are you going to use them? I'd say 80-90% of accessories we purchase for the BGE end up sitting on shelves not being used but thought we really needed. I'm not saying the accessories aren't needed or not used but how many accessories do we have that are used every cook? Not many. The KAB is one of those items I use every since cook. To me it's worth the cost. Just my two cents.....
    I have 3 eggs. There are 2 accessories that I use on each egg every cook. The KAB and the Woo from ceramic grill store. Each egg has one and they live in the eggs.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I've recently paired up my KAB with a Kick Ash Can to make clean up is an absolute breeze. A couple shakes over the garbage with KAB and a quick dump of the Kick Ash Can and you have yourself a clean egg. No more stirring around the lump and running an ash tool through the vent. 
    love my new KAC for the Small; like you said, clearing it out with the ash tool is a pita, even when you can see what you're doing.
    And Thank You to whomever it was who pointed it out to me on their website, it was hidden away a bit and I didn't find it the first time.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I second KAB first then if money left over KAC. Money well spent 

Edited to add, some nice steaks to be shared is also a great idea.
  • Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Options
    I clean my LG BGE with the leaf blower .... works like a champ
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe