Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Full ‘o Baloney

Relatively speaking, I’m a newbie in this space, so apologies if this recipe/technique has been recently discussed ‘n dissected. But I grabbed a 3.8-lb bologna chub from a local meat market and got to work by basically using the blueprint from name-your-YouTube video:

1. Scored it (diagonal crisscross, top to bottom)
2. Slathered it (yellow mustard)
3. Seasoned it (Killer Hogs THE BBQ Rub)
4. Smoked it (at 250 for 3 hours over a cherry/pecan combo)
5. Sauced it (with Blues Hog Original and let it tack for 30 minutes)
6. Sliced it
7. Served it

Awesome for sandwiches (throw those “steaks” on a hot grill or flattop for a minute or two), but I had a big crowd out back, so I kept reloading a butcher block of “Adult Lunchables.” Balogna, crackers, couple kinds of cheese, fire-roasted red bells, sweet ‘n spicy pickles and mustard options.

You’re really working flavors here and not at all worried about temp, though 140 is a general target. You can get there in about 3 hours at 250. Last half hour gets the glaze.

Super fun cook.

Tim 

Tim
Large BGE (2020), Outdoor Kitchen (Summer 2021)
Aurora, IL

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I’d smash that. Great job 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Beautiful!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    That looks fantastic!
    Stillwater, MN
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Smoked bologna is super underrated.  Yours is first class! 

If you get a chance, give hot dog burnt ends a shot.  It’s in that same “Gourmet hillbilly” vein.  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I’d hit it!!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 270
    edited June 2022
    I tasted smoked bologna aka "Tulsa Tenderloin" at Elmers in Tulsa years ago. Pretty darn good. 
    Have never cooked it but have wanted to try it. Will have to up it on the priority list.
    I don't do facebook, however on the Tulsa Grill Store/Hastybake page smoked bologna makes a regular appearance.
    Nice job on that cook, I am sure I could help you mow that down.
  • TWags15
    TWags15 Posts: 71
    6baluts said:
    I tasted smoked bologna aka "Tulsa Tenderloin" at Elmers in Tulsa years ago. Pretty darn good. 
    Have never cooked it but have wanted to try it. Will have to up it on the priority list.
    I don't do facebook, however on the Tulsa Grill Store/Hastybake page smoked bologna makes a regular appearance.
    Nice job on that cook, I am sure I could help you mow that down.
    Maybe watched 8-10 vids and there are classic names out there. “Mississippi Round Steak” is a fave.
    Tim
    Aurora, IL
  • TWags15 said:

Awesome for sandwiches (throw those “steaks” on a hot grill or flattop for a minute or two), but I had a big crowd out back, so I kept reloading a butcher block of “Adult Lunchables.” Balogna, crackers, couple kinds of cheese, fire-roasted red bells, sweet ‘n spicy pickles and mustard options.

Looks awesome! did you cook the peppers on the grill too?
  • TWags15
    TWags15 Posts: 71
    TWags15 said:

Looks awesome! did you cook the peppers on the grill too?
    Naw, man. I have, but cheated this time. They come halved in a jar with oil. Went that route. The sweet ‘n spicy pickles are Famous Dave’s. Shoulda mentioned that earlier.
    Tim
    Aurora, IL
  • we love those pickles, have a jar here myself