Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Sunsets

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    Anna Marie Island Florida
    Wow; any idea how you got that single, 30˚ god-beam?  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Botch said:
    U_tarded said:
    Anna Marie Island Florida
    Wow; any idea how you got that single, 30˚ god-beam?  
    @botch honestly no idea and I would be lying if I said better.  Let’s just say by that time of night on a beach vacation I’m so far in the sauce remembering to remove the grease from my iPhone camera is a major accomplishment.  I guess the method is drunken lean, boat sway, and a lot of luck. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    F 1 is racing Sunday! Lights out! Sweet pic right there. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,866
    Options
    Hello from Suffolk, England. 

Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    I graduated from wine a few years ago (especially whites) but that is a great setting and photos. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,086
    Options
    @CPFC1905 - Nice view and sunset.  Do you happen to live in a pink house?
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    The moon last night 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @lousubcap

Curious to know just how one does graduate from wine. 🙃

Bourbon must be the PhD. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @SamIAm2

Incredible. Hope you’ve been well, and have spent many a recent evening enjoying those beautiful vistas. 
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations - Been busy lately so tonight was the first time I was outside at sunset. 
    Helping my egging neighbor and yard work that needs to be done more often because of daily rain showers/storms.

Below is what I have been helping the neighbor with for a while. It is a storefront on Merritt Island. Not a small job (but then I seem to find enough large projects of my own) that we started a while ago. “Can you help me take some Measurements?” was just the start for the project. Measuring window sizes and door sizes to start with. Then he ordered the metal and glass, which was Hurricane impact and everything else the owner could think of to add. Laminated glass sections wound up being 1 and a half inch thick. Glad I don't have to lift them.

When the metal for the window frames came in, I helped the driver get the stuff off the truck and into first suite on the left, where the two wooden crates for the glass are. That is when the next job started. Cutting the metal and building the frames for the 16 windows and 4 doors and adding door closers was a couple weeks work. Then adding the rubber gaskets to the grooves in the metal that hold the window in the opening once they are installed.

Then we waited for the glass. While we waited we built four panels for the transoms out of plywood and white metal sheeting that came on a roll. Had to custom build each one for the door transoms and attach the metal with spray on adhesive, for both the inside and outside. There are two special pieces of metal that need to be cut to fit on the left and right side of the transom opening and it also needs a gasket. When those are in place, we add the gaskets at the top and bottom on the outside and inside of the transom. By we I mean me since I'm taller than the neighbor. You can see both of us in the first suite, the third picture window on the left. He is standing up straight, I'm bent over looking at I can't remember what now.

Our only job then was to add the rubber gaskets to the groves in the metal after the windows were put in position. Amazing that the pressure from those gaskets on the inside and outside withstands hurricane force winds.  The suite shown in the top picture  only has the first window on the left installed and it will need to be replaced as the guys lifting the glass into the opening didn't pay attention and cracked it during the installation. So we need to get another piece of metal for the top and take all the windows and frames out when the crew can come back to finish that job. All the window and door frames interlock so we will fix the first frame and install the other windows and door frames. Then my neighbor and I will "run the rubber gaskets" on the outside. Lots of measuring, cutting gaskets, and climbing on ladders will happen then. I didn't show the forth suite because I was cleaning out photos to save space on the cloud server and accidentally deleted that one. 

Egging neighbor said that this is the last job he is going to do. Can't blame him as he is two years older than me, and I am old and retired (guffaw). 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options

Sounds like a big project. Having heard about it closer to its start a while back, I somehow thought you had finished. That being said, I hadn’t realized you were doing quite so many windows and doors, and hadn’t recalled that you were building the frames yourselves. You must not have been pleased with the guy who cracked the glass. 

Sure wish you and your Egging neighbour lived closer - I am having nearly all of my windows, as well as the front door, replaced beginning today. Supposed to be finished, minus the door, by this weekend. Our painter is pretty busy and likely can’t get to all the work we want him to do before winter, so we’ll likely have to live with some mismatched door and trim colours on the back of the house until spring. Will be an eyesore for our neighbours in the back over the long winter. We also have to get some brick repointing done, but we’re hoping to squeeze that in before the cold weather arrives. 

Unrelated, but did your insurance claim ever get settled?

Sorry, OP, for the thread hijack. Here is an older sunset photo I just stumbled across, to make amends. Colours are rather unique. No filters. 

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,086
    Options
    Do Sun Dogs qualify?  These were your large breed variety...

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga