Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coffee Cake

Options
TWags15
TWags15 Posts: 71
edited June 2022 in EggHead Forum
Here’s All Things BBQ’s (Chef Tom) recipe for “Grandma’s Sour Cream Coffee Cake.” Followed it verbatim, as I have at least a dozen other times over a wisp of pecan. It’s an elite recipe and the toothpick comes out clean first check every time (45 min. @ 350). Highly, highly recommend.

Link: https://youtu.be/A22ktPFnhFo.

Tim
Large BGE (2020), Outdoor Kitchen (Summer 2021)
Aurora, IL

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,950
    Options
    oh man!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    Grief!!!!😋
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Looks great! I have a couple great cake recipes that I make from time to time on my Medium egg. People are always amazed and ask "YOU baked THAT cake on a BGE?" In fact 2 cakes were standard fare at 14 years of eggfests I participated in!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, I will bake that in the very near future!

Here’s a link to the recipe: https://www.atbbq.com/thesauce/recipes/grandmas-sour-cream-coffee-cake/

Options
    RRP said:
    Looks great! I have a couple great cake recipes that I make from time to time on my Medium egg. People are always amazed and ask "YOU baked THAT cake on a BGE?" In fact 2 cakes were standard fare at 14 years of eggfests I participated in!
    Thanks! Biggest jaw-drops I get from the “You made that on the grill?!?” crowd come from cookies and cheesecakes.
    Tim
    Aurora, IL
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Yummy!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • RRP
    Options
    Thanks for your post! After I had said I bake a couple cake recipes I slapped my head and thought NO, I egg 4 cakes in some sort of rotation…

Triple Chocolate & Kahula Cake

Rum Pound Cake

Sinfully Good Carrot Cake

Blueberry Coffee Cake

and though not a cake per see some Overnight Pecan Carmel Rolls, aka “Sticky Buns”which will knock your socks off!

As I used to tell students…if you can bake something in your oven then you can bake it in your BGE as well!

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    RRP said:
    Thanks for your post! After I had said I bake a couple cake recipes I slapped my head and thought NO, I egg 4 cakes in some sort of rotation…

Triple Chocolate & Kahula Cake

Rum Pound Cake

Sinfully Good Carrot Cake

Blueberry Coffee Cake

and though not a cake per see some Overnight Pecan Carmel Rolls, aka “Sticky Buns”which will knock your socks off!

As I used to tell students…if you can bake something in your oven then you can bake it in your BGE as well!

Did you finally find a carrot cake recipe you were happy with, Ron?  I remember you were looking for a kick butt one some time ago.  Mind sharing what you use these days?
  • RRP
    Options

Did you finally find a carrot cake recipe you were happy with, Ron?  I remember you were looking for a kick butt one some time ago.  Mind sharing what you use these days?
    John,
    Back when I was searching I was looking for a commercial product such as the delicious one sold by Armark. 

But I have made this one many times - but it is time consuming but DELICIOUS!!!

"Sinfully Good Carrot Cake" 

Here's the carrot cake recipe with my modifications to bake it on the BGE. It came from "The Book Lovers Cafe Cookbook", Gourmet Vegetarian Recipes by Crystal Dougherty & Ian Schleifer. 

2 cups flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    2 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1/4 tsp mace
    1 1/2 cups canola oil
    4 eggs
    3 cups grated carrots
    3/4 cups English walnuts, chopped   

1/2 cup raisins (dusted with flour so they won’t sink and burn!)
    1 tbsp lemon zest 

Sift the dry ingredients into a separate bowl (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and mace). In a large bowl, beat sugar and oil together. Add eggs, one at a time, and incorporate each one before adding the next. Slowly add the flour mixture. Next add the carrots and lemon zest.  Then by hand mix in the nuts and finally the flour covered raisins AND BE GENTLE (hehehe). Pour in to two round 9-inch well greased (Criso) and flouredcake pans (or three 8-inch pans). Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or longer until a toothpick comes out clean.  I used my plate setter inverted with the primary grate resting on the inverted legs with one cake pan and then either using a grill extender or 2 fire bricks plus an auxillary grate I placed the other one. Just be careful that your dome thermometer isn’t impaling the cake batter NOW or in the raised cake to be!After baked and cooled (an hour) turn the cakes out onto a rack. Once they are cool, spread a layer of icing on the top of one round, set the other on top and finish icing the top and sides, being careful to not tear the cake and have crumbs on the outside. Garnish the sides of the cake with chopped walnuts, if desired. 

"Sinfully Good Spicy Cream Cheese Icing"

8 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
    6 tbsp unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    2  cups powdered sugar
    1/2 tsp lemon zest 
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    1 tsp ground cloves 

• FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    Options
    I LOVE carrot cake (minus the raisins - fight me). I'll be trying this one out for sure!
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:
    I LOVE carrot cake (minus the raisins - fight me). I'll be trying this one out for sure!
    I think I’m with you on the raisins!
  • paqman
    Options
    The recipe is legit!  Will bake again for sure.

Options

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Bump.  Last day at the beach for us, so I mixed up a batch of this and have it in the oven now.  Can’t wait!
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    this stuff is legit

• TWags15
    TWags15 Posts: 71
    Options
    this stuff is legit

Yessir!
    Tim
    Aurora, IL
  • bbracey21
    bbracey21 Posts: 319
    Options
    I am going to have to try this coffee cake very soon. May sweet talk the wife into making it for Father’s Day. 
  • paqman
    Options
    haha, now I just want to bake another one but I am out of sour cream 🤷‍♂️

Options
    Baked another one with a few adjustments:
    -Used 3/4 of the sugar mix in the middle layer and 1/4 on top of the cake
    -Walnuts in the middle layer only (not on top because they roasted a bit too much for my taste last time)
    -Used a cake pan instead of disposable aluminum pan
    -Baked 42 minutes instead of 45 (40 would probably be fine)

I don’t have the turbinado sugar rub called for in the recipe so I used crushed maple sugar chunks instead.

The top looks better than my last time but I haven’t tasted it yet.

Options
    Does that recipe appear anywhere, or do you just have to watch all 8 minutes and take your own notes?
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    RRP said:
    Does that recipe appear anywhere, or do you just have to watch all 8 minutes and take your own notes?
    Just scroll down a little on the page with the video, Ron.  There’s a standard recipe just below the video.
  • paqman
    edited June 2022
    Options
    RRP said:
    Just scroll down a little on the page with the video, Ron.  There’s a standard recipe just below the video.
    🤫 it is a secret, don’t tell anyone else

Options
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • RRP
    edited June 2022
    Options
    RRP said:
    Duh…sorry, John, just never had enough patience to go clicking clear to the end. I want to try that as I have a couple neighbors who I “owe” something different than my usual baked goodies!