Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BEST BRISKET I HAVE COOKED

Options
Today I smoked a choice brisket (15.6# before trim) using Travis's (Brisket how I like it )with a few changes. sliced the onions and put the brisket into a pan on top of them with 8 oz apple juice and used Dizzy pig coarse dizzy dust and Kingsford charcoal briquets.  Cooked it at about 225 until reached stall then covered the pan with foil and put into 300 degree oven until done.   Let it sit for about 30 mins after removing from oven then sliced. Also cooked fat side into pan and got great bark on top side.  Wife said best brisket she had eaten and I agreed with her.   The juice/drippings only got around the meat by about 1/2 inch so some braising and some smoking.  I know many of you laugh at the Travis method but after trying it and others many times, I keep coming back to it as simplest and most consistently great for me.  
I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston

Comments

• scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options
    Here's a trick from an amateur,  Once your meat is wrapped, using any kind of smoker is a waste of fuel.  Let your kitchen oven do what it does best.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    Any pictures?

I am going to do a 17 lb brisket on June 25.  I want it juicy as juicy gets. The first one I ever did, was incredible ... now I'm still trying to get the quality of the first cook, tried 3 more times ... and they're good but not as good.

Only thing is, I don't have time for an overnight cook ... I'll be doing turbo method ... 275F.

Question is, how long did it take for you at 225F, then going to 300F once wrapped?
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    Mark B Good   see message

I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Deleted 
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    I love it when the downwind neighbors get the benefits of my efforts! :D
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Sounds like a great brisket cook.  So many ways to do it. And it sounds like you nailed it
    My neighbor enters competition bbq events and does catering on his custom self built offset.  He did a bunch of briskets for a wedding on Saturday.  Smoked them on the offset till they hit the stall (3 am), foiled them and put on the pellet grill, and went to bed till daylight. Pulled them at 205, and they were awesome. Learned a few tricks from a pro that makes money cooking custom BBQ.
    BTW-smells really good in my neighborhood.

How can you dislike this post?
    Maybe there should be “jealousy” button.  
    That is a beautiful offset smoker.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 940
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    I love it when the downwind neighbors get the benefits of my efforts! :D
    Sunday bean dinner, right? 
  • GlennM
    Options
    I have one one right now Travis Method. Hope it’s done by 4.  First time doing Travis style.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    GlennM said:
    I have one one right now Travis Method. Hope it’s done by 4.  First time doing Travis style.
    'Merica!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Sounds like a great brisket cook.  So many ways to do it. And it sounds like you nailed it
    My neighbor enters competition bbq events and does catering on his custom self built offset.  He did a bunch of briskets for a wedding on Saturday.  Smoked them on the offset till they hit the stall (3 am), foiled them and put on the pellet grill, and went to bed till daylight. Pulled them at 205, and they were awesome. Learned a few tricks from a pro that makes money cooking custom BBQ.

Obviously, you’re new here.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 940
    Options
    GlennM said:
    well, this was great.  I’m very pleased with the Travis method

Hey, I analysed this photo and the guy in the upper right hand corner, the one with the small section of red shirt showing, just above the small section of his grey shorts showing' Is using your tongs to get the best slice of brisket, apparently before any of your guests are seated too. Chances are he's the same guy that took the cream cheese dip out of the center of your vegetable tray, and snorted it with all  of the missing mushrooms from said tray.

BTW, how did you get such a big ladle in your bean hole. Asking for a friend.
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

Agree it’s a beautiful offset.  He fabricated it 100% in his shop, and cooks every weekend for local events. He is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet, and cooks for the homeless and rest homes at no charge. That’s why JIC hates this post. He has no control over it, so he and his cronies hit the dislike button.  Sad that the forum is letting just a few people control the narrative! John is showing his true colors and internal hatred when he goes against a post like this. He is not a nice person, in case you have not figured that out by now.
  • GlennM
    Options
    Hey, I analysed this photo and the guy in the upper right hand corner, the one with the small section of red shirt showing, just above the small section of his grey shorts showing' Is using your tongs to get the best slice of brisket, apparently before any of your guests are seated too. Chances are he's the same guy that took the cream cheese dip out of the center of your vegetable tray, and snorted it with all  of the missing mushrooms from said tray.

BTW, how did you get such a big ladle in your bean hole. Asking for a friend.
    Very good detective work, the good news is the meal was actually finished and the leftovers are for tomorrow. I’m not sure we will be able to get the ladle out of the pot 😳
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

It never fails.  What is that Stephen King quote?  Nobody likes a clown at midnight. 

By the way, I actually liked the post.  
  • littlerascal56
    edited July 2022
    Options
    John. WTF is wrong with you?  You can’t read a post without criticism and hate.  This is not your forum, although you seem to think it is.  Might be time for @The_Buffalo to shut down your account for 90 days or so.  You are projecting a lot of hate and animosity toward several members on here, as is evident on your argumentative posts. Might be a good time for Rob to give you a “time out” so you can grow up and act like an adult. 
    And I remember the scolding you gave me about posting times…and time zones.  So you are circling my post time?  And you live in a different time zone! You are a real hypocrite, a manipulator and a fake. Glad you have a network of “fan boys” on here to build your self esteem, and worship you.
  • littlerascal56
    edited July 2022
    Options
    It’s pretty common knowledge around this forum that John controls it, and does not put up with anyone that does not agree with his views.  You have not been on here long enough to see how negative John is toward some of the members.  Case in point- he was banned from the forum in the past for exactly the same issues.  History tends to repeat itself!
    Some people have a hard time growing up. Some never do.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    John. WTF is wrong with you?  You can’t read a post without criticism and hate.  
    shot
    That’s why JIC hates this post. He has no control over it, so he and his cronies hit the dislike button.  Sad that the forum is letting just a few people control the narrative! John is showing his true colors and internal hatred when he goes against a post like this. He is not a nice person, in case you have not figured that out by now.
    chaser

Amazing those two posts are both inside this very same thread, not to mention the order they came in.  Really just incredible.  

Let us know when the lights come on inside your head man.  I think your dimmer’s jammed. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,093
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Txt msg gang incoming!!!!!!!  Band wagon loonies, here we come!!!!!  Email news letter just hit the stands.

That brisket sounds amazing.  I have yet to actually make one I was proud off, gonna have to try the boat method.

Also, not sure why @littlerascal56 called out JIC.  JIC could cure COVID-19 and send every American, 2/3 of the Canadians, and all British folks who voted against BREXIT a million dollars and he would get mad.  His neighbors cooker is very cool and sounds like a real nice guy.  Hopefully the irrational rage will abate.  As another aside, @littlerascal56 I believe may be very very very, like genetically the same type of related to @Rascal , who, unfortunately, met his demise via the BANHAMMER.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • fiber_induced_deuce
    Options
    It’s pretty common knowledge around this forum that John controls it, and does not put up with anyone that does not agree with his views.  You have not been on here long enough to see how negative John is toward some of the members.  Case in point- he was banned from the forum in the past for exactly the same issues.  History tends to repeat itself!
    Some people have a hard time growing up. Some never do.

• littlerascal56
    Options
    Carey- your sinking when you post with your troll accounts!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    There once was  a guy living a bit south of me.
    Who posted about a brisket he enjoyed verily.
    Then, some fucktard called @littlerascal56 dropped a bunch of turds on his thread.

Good grief, man. Live for something worthwhile. It's just a bbq forum.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Will the senile old-man bleating to cancel me and John please move this crap to the OT side of the forum?  Thanks.