Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak Lump quality

Options
KRod
KRod Posts: 22
edited May 2022 in EggHead Forum
I know that they make BGE charcoal and have used it in the past.  Last 3 bags I’ve bought I’m noticing a lot more “crumbs” than medium to large lumps.  Anyone else notice this or maybe I’ve just been unlucky.

Comments

• Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    I quit with royal oak and started buying kamado Joe big block. I kept finding big pieces of insulation in royal oak and lots of small pieces of lump. 
  • KRod
    KRod Posts: 22
    Options
    Yeah I think I’m going to switch.  I see a lot of sites recommend Jealous Devil.  I may give that a try.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    Get some Rockwood if it’s available where you are.  Most folks here prefer it to the alternatives.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Get some Rockwood if it’s available where you are.  Most folks here prefer it to the alternatives.
    If you have an ACE hardware nearby, they will give you $10 off if you download their app before 7/31.  (Normally $5)

That makes for a cheap bag of Rockwood to try.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 365
    Options
    Dunno about Rockwood, I know a lot of us like it. But after three bags mostly I just find tiny pieces. Bought a bag of Royal Oak and it's better for sure. My most recent bag is Fogo Super Premium, but I haven't opened it yet.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • BigGreenKev
    BigGreenKev Posts: 253
    Options
    Supply chain can pulverize ANY brand. Look for bags that aren't compressed.  That should give you the best chance for big pieces regardless of brand. 

I'm a royal oak guy from a cost/performance standpoint. I've used 2 bags of JD and its been big chunks but takes a while to get going. See the JD thread of late as some feel strongly about it.  Wicked Good and Rockwood are also good ones. There are many variables that come before you pick up the bag.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Once more into the valley of lump rode a forum thread.  
    As divisive a topic as any that appear here.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    Not a fan of rock wood either. I can’t get it local and had to order it. Last order, two out of three bags had more pebble sized pieces than lumps. Still haven’t opened the third bag but it sounds rough when you shake it. I imagine it was all in shipping and I may try again if I could get it locally but not worth ordering to me. I’ve been using kamado Joe that I can get locally so I can put my hands on and shake. 
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    4TheGrillOfIt Posts: 741
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Lol Here we go again!  Yeehaw!
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Corv said:
    Dunno about Rockwood, I know a lot of us like it. But after three bags mostly I just find tiny pieces. Bought a bag of Royal Oak and it's better for sure. My most recent bag is Fogo Super Premium, but I haven't opened it yet.
    The higher the quality of charcoal the more brittle it is. Rough handling is the issue. You need to have a chat with your supplier. Check out the bags in the store, you can tell if they have been mishandled. 

And , no, Royal Oak is not better.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Options
    don't care for Royal Oak,  very harsh.  BGE Maple, Rockwood, FOGO are my staple
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • Hansm
    edited May 2022
    Options
    @stlcharcoal .... YES quality to the goal!!!  I am leaning more and more towards Rockwood.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @Hansm - consider this the final push.  You won't be disappointed!

And since I'm here-how Rockwood jumped in several years ago to provide the home delivery service:
    Firecraft used to sell Rockwood online for home delivery.  They gave up on the lump sales (and perhaps everything else).  At that point Rockwood stood up their on line store in a matter of several weeks and have not looked back.
    I have no affiliation with the company but fully endorse their products.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    What is the best fan and temp controller to ride across valley of lump? 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    if there was only a way for me to dispose of all this bad lump. would a disposal fee of 1 dollar be to much to ask
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Lol Here we go again!  Yeehaw!
    This deserves a lump haiku:

A great lump debate
    Many brands from which to choose
    Just order Rockwood

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    danhoo said:
    lousubcap said:
    Flame Boss 500 is my fav.....been a dealer for them since day 1 for all six generations.  I dropped all the other brands I used to sell since none could compete on performance, & both dealer and customer support.
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    Is that your high school graduation picture, or do you have the Dorian Gray portrait next to the Delorean?
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Yno said:
    Is that your high school graduation picture, or do you have the Dorian Gray portrait next to the Delorean?
    Isn’t it also possible he just time traveled with the Delorean?  
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options
    danhoo said:
    lousubcap said:
    Flame Boss 500 is my fav.....been a dealer for them since day 1 for all six generations.  I dropped all the other brands I used to sell since none could compete on performance, & both dealer and customer support.
    That answer was too helpful.

I was expecting to be lambasted for asking about ATC on a BGE and then to be told I should sell my egg and get a pellet popper. 

I guess I'm not very good at trolling and had best leave that for others. 

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    Yno said:

Isn’t it also possible he just time traveled with the Delorean?  
    Does he have an O'Reilly Auto Parts store nearby?
    https://www.oreillyauto.com/flux-500.html
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • Hansm
    Options
    I dispose of unwanted lump in the pit

• stlcharcoal
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Yno said:

Neither.....charcoal is nature's botox!

Edit:  Here's a more recent pic with The Notorious J.I.C.
  • stlcharcoal
    edited May 2022
    Options
    oops....double post!
  • stlcharcoal
    edited May 2022
    Options
    and triple post! 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Yno said:

Neither.....charcoal is nature's botox!

Edit:  Here's a more recent pic with The Notorious J.I.C.
    And @texaswig !
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    I found Rockwood and it was good, but not perfect.
    Others?   Without mention of names?   Quality is 'variable'    Sometimes you get smallish pieces and other times, pieces of Tree.    Usually some of each.  Does not seem to be predictible......
  • Hansm
    Options
    I have found BGE Maple from Canada to be consistent and very mild, my go to. I like a mild flavor. Rockwood is also mild. I was using a lot of FOGO Black and Gold, which has been inconsistent flavor wise recently. Narrowing in on Maple and Rockwood
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 940
    Options
    I've been using wicked good weekend warrior blend. Just started showing up at my local ace hardware. It's dense, and its hard to get lit, but once its fully lit, it can go all night. 

Sounds kinda like someone I dated in high school but she couldn't cook.