Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do y'all always wash the outside of pans, etc. ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 940
    Options
    The whole idea of washing just the inside of your pots is shagnasty to me. The fact that you would ask me about what I do with my pots at all surprised me at first, but then .... you got all specific on my ass, and asked about the outside of my pots.

HELLO .. you were HERE.. in my very kitchen ..  for pajama-palooza .. and T-shirt only Tuesday, PLUS  after the latter, against my better judgement,  you stayed for coffee flavored jello the next morning. That was like ONLY four days ago ... and honestly ..  you could have asked me about my pots at any point during the .. um .. "visit" but you didn't, did YOU? Instead, you come on here afterwards .. asking everybody ELSE about the outside of their pots, to surreptitiously mock me I guess.

Well, I I have news for you, my whole kitchen scene was staged, I quickly showed you the same dirty bottomed pot three times in a row, so take what you think was many really dirty pots, and divide it by three..God, I showed you my babushka doll collection and everything, so ..  so ... so ... disappointing.

StumpBaby

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    I'm just wondering where you got the yall portion. I do not wash the bottoms unless it happens 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    I don’t touch the outside of pans, not one bit.  When crud accumulates there, I just look forward to the next time I whip it out for cooking to see what kind of new life forms have grown on the surface.  It can be fun to scare the dinner guests with this kind of thing!  Don’t knock it until you try it!
    Nobody got this.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I don’t touch the outside of pans, not one bit.  When crud accumulates there, I just look forward to the next time I whip it out for cooking to see what kind of new life forms have grown on the surface.  It can be fun to scare the dinner guests with this kind of thing!  Don’t knock it until you try it!
    Nobody got this.
    Actually I did, John, and I’m quite sure others did as well! 

But in a more serious vein…I have never understood why some eggers seem to think the worst their grate looks makes them mucho! Honestly at some eggfests I have walked away from foods egged on gross grates.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That harkens back to when John brought his medium (I think) egg to Butt Blast.  We opened it up and it looked like one of the scenes in the War of the Worlds remake (with Tom Cruise) where the red crap was growing everywhere.

Australian Academy of Science on Twitter Millions of baby red crabs  litter the shore on Christmas Island during the annual migration recently   ArengaPalm httpstcocvR2Z7OuCB  Twitter
    John claimed he just hadn't used it in a while and the NC environmental factors are perfect for microbial growth.  I believe it got a clean burn before it was used for cooking edible stuff.
    Options
    That harkens back to when John brought his medium (I think) egg to Butt Blast.  We opened it up and it looked like one of the scenes in the War of the Worlds remake (with Tom Cruise) where the red crap was growing everywhere.

Australian Academy of Science on Twitter Millions of baby red crabs  litter the shore on Christmas Island during the annual migration recently   ArengaPalm httpstcocvR2Z7OuCB  Twitter
    John claimed he just hadn't used it in a while and the NC environmental factors are perfect for microbial growth.  I believe it got a clean burn before it was used for cooking edible stuff.
    I think your memory is shot old man.  That MiniMax was as clean as a whistle!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options

I think your memory is shot old man.  That MiniMax was as clean as a whistle!
    Disagree button. 
  • HogFather
    HogFather Posts: 260
    Options
    Do you wash your feet in the shower? I don’t. I’m standing in soapy water and that’s good enough. 

Fighting off the trolls 1 by 1
    Large Egg

Pig, KY 
  • Ybabpmuts
    Options

HogFather said:
    Do you wash your feet in the shower? I don’t. I’m standing in soapy water and that’s good enough. 

What? That's like saying all you have to do is wash your head and everything else is cleaned by the suds running down your body from there. Surely .. at least the devil's tuber deserves better than that, like a tiny left handed loofer or something. You have to remember, pubic hair is like one half of the whole Velcro thing, so if it just happened to saunter by anything that was sharp and curled inward, you could be picking up all sorts of things throughout the day. I once found a plastic spider tangled in mine from the last naked Halloween party I attended. You walk by just ONE cake table, just the ONE time. If I wasn't judicious with my washing of everything below my head, I would never have been able to return that plastic spider, and next year's naked Halloween party would be just a liiiitle bit less scary and authentic looking. I can't have that on my conscience.

Nah .. I'll wash everything by hand. It's the only way I'd feel comfortable walking naked past a cake with plastic spiders on it, ever again.

This isn't rocket science, and just so you know, keep telling all of your bathroom secrets and nobody is ever going to suck on your big toe again, period.

Don't let me be the smartest one between us.

StumpBaby 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    HogFather said:

100% agree.

It has also become evident, that 'shrooms are not for everyone.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ybabpmuts
    Options
    Shrooms?

I had some mushrooms once. We were going to help one of my brothers move from an apartment attached to my parents house, to his new home a few miles away. One of my other brothers said that he’d bring some mushrooms for us. When he got there, he had to hunt for them too, but only because one of his pockets was really deep and he had stuffed a bunch of them into a tiny plastic bag for some reason. I didn’t have a proper breakfast so I took one, you know, for the nutrition, it being a big move and all that. You know how sometimes …when you’re walking along carrying a couch, minding your own business, and you look across and the guy on the other end of the couch … his lips slowly starts to melt off and it’s funny as all get out? Me neither. I kept thinking it was weird that you’d still hold onto a couch as your lips were slowly falling off, that seems ultimately more necessary for things like french kissing, sealing old school hand rolled marijuana cigarettes, whispering fun little things in other peoples ears like death threats, blowing kisses to first and second cousins, deep purple hickeys on all of your hairless pets, making straws work without leaks, keeping your tongue sticking out straight while licking ice cream, discretely tugging on mommas beard hairs during snuggly movie night, guiding your tooth brush left and right, cleanly spitting in a single steam without using an old funnel, stopping your lipstick from coloring just your teeth, making normal vowels sounds, eating egg rolls the long way, crying for help with mental things, telling your brother about the growth you saw down at the creek, that he has no way of seeing by himself, blowing on things like dandelions, boo boos, and wet bums when momma forgets to get what she calls “bottom town buffing biscuits” at the piggly wiggly, then I thought, wait … we all need to sit too, especially if you don’t have lips because, chances of having a great day without lips is not really that good, especially if you got spinach in your teeth and your friends aren’t the kind to tell you about it, so who wouldn’t want a nice soft warm place to sit, while you get the spinach out, and think about friendships. 

StumpBaby
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    tl;dr
    Options
    tl;dr
    Short version is hand wash everything and don't eat mushrooms if they come out of a plastic bag.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    Typically the pans are stacked when stored ... so bottom is going into the inside of the pan underneath ... and so yes ... we wash the bottoms to keep it all sanitized.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    tl;dr
    Short version is hand wash everything and don't eat mushrooms if they come out of a plastic bag.
    Oh, thanks.  Maybe if it was broken down into paragraphs I’d make it through.
    Options
    Ybabpmuts said:
    Shrooms?

I had some mushrooms once. We were going to help one of my brothers move from an apartment attached to my parents house, to his new home a few miles away. One of my other brothers said that he’d bring some mushrooms for us. When he got there, he had to hunt for them too, but only because one of his pockets was really deep and he had stuffed a bunch of them into a tiny plastic bag for some reason. I didn’t have a proper breakfast so I took one, you know, for the nutrition, it being a big move and all that. You know how sometimes …when you’re walking along carrying a couch, minding your own business, and you look across and the guy on the other end of the couch … his lips slowly starts to melt off and it’s funny as all get out? Me neither. I kept thinking it was weird that you’d still hold onto a couch as your lips were slowly falling off, that seems ultimately more necessary for things like french kissing, sealing old school hand rolled marijuana cigarettes, whispering fun little things in other peoples ears like death threats, blowing kisses to first and second cousins, deep purple hickeys on all of your hairless pets, making straws work without leaks, keeping your tongue sticking out straight while licking ice cream, discretely tugging on mommas beard hairs during snuggly movie night, guiding your tooth brush left and right, cleanly spitting in a single steam without using an old funnel, stopping your lipstick from coloring just your teeth, making normal vowels sounds, eating egg rolls the long way, crying for help with mental things, telling your brother about the growth you saw down at the creek, that he has no way of seeing by himself, blowing on things like dandelions, boo boos, and wet bums when momma forgets to get what she calls “bottom town buffing biscuits” at the piggly wiggly, then I thought, wait … we all need to sit too, especially if you don’t have lips because, chances of having a great day without lips is not really that good, especially if you got spinach in your teeth and your friends aren’t the kind to tell you about it, so who wouldn’t want a nice soft warm place to sit, while you get the spinach out, and think about friendships. 

StumpBaby

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    so what about cleaning the inside of the pan. my fry pan sits on the stove burner all weekend. fried eggs, bacon,  grilled cheese, sauteed onions......
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Typically the pans are stacked when stored ... so bottom is going into the inside of the pan underneath ... and so yes ... we wash the bottoms to keep it all sanitized.
    They only touch stacked at the top and bottom of the rim but I get where you’re coming from 
    Options
    so what about cleaning the inside of the pan. my fry pan sits on the stove burner all weekend. fried eggs, bacon,  grilled cheese, sauteed onions......
    Start your own thread. We need to focus, if we're going to get anything solved around here!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    caliking said:
    Start your own thread. We need to focus, if we're going to get anything solved around here!

well sometimes i forget to bring mine back in for a week at camp. they are upsidown on the fire pit.   if it rains the outside will get washed.  im not able to focus at all, my cutting board is in the lake getting washed right now
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,431
    Options
    So on something continuous use like our baking screens (we have over 10,000 of them), they do not get washed. They are coated in something similar to Teflon. You scrub that, it comes off. I’d also need an army just washing and drying them daily. Our pans are acid dipped and re-glazed on an 8 month cycle. Ovens are a kill step for any growth that would accumulate or whatever. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited May 2022
    Options
    You scrub the whole pan or you get the belt again!!!

At least that's how it worked in my house growing up.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum