Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Master built 800

Options
Anyone own one, pro's and cons? I ordered on and it will be here next week, I'm giving my son my GMG Daniel Boone. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,568
    edited April 2022
    Options
    I assume it’s the Gravity series? @nolaegghead
    canuckland
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,039
    Options
    I've heard good short term reviews on it over on the BBQ Brethren. I know people have been modding them with the chute. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,783
    Options
    Don't have that, but have a gravity feed, I don't see many solid years of use out of it without a lot of up keep, there are inherent issues with Gravity that the light gauge metal will not stand up to----for the price point, it will get your feet wet and wanting more  
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • jeffc5227
    jeffc5227 Posts: 131
    Options
    Yes the Gravity series.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have the 560. 

It works great.  Only once did I have a problem with it flaming out and that was because I had some wet charcoal in the chute. 

Works pretty much like a stoker on a kamado.  If the temp over-shoots, close your dampers down a bit.  Doesn't get hot enough, open them up.  

Seems to extinguish fine.  Tried to grill on it, you will need to run lump if you want good sear marks.  I give it a C+ on grilling, but an A- on smoking.

Can't speak for longevity as I haven't had it that long, but if you keep it dry it should last for a good time.  There's only a small section where the fire contacts metal.  it's not the thickest gauge, but there are no moving parts and I'm sure anyone with some ingenuity could keep that running forever.

My buddy has one and his fan died.  I fixed with a computer fan.  It takes any full sized computer fan that runs on 12v.  The electric system connectors are a bit cheap, but they work.  The control display panel is simple.  Slightly annoying, but you really only set time and temp.

Holds temp well.
    Options
    The flavor profile is decent on the smoke.  I've mostly used briquettes in mine but everyone liked the taste.  I would run lump for low and slows to keep the baseline heat more neutral.  You can throw wood chunks or chips in the ash bucket and they'll smolder there.