Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oh No !!! Ran Out of Lump

Four butts, 45 LB, Egg Genius temperature controller set at 250, XL. @12 hours IT was 190. Needed to go another hour or two. Out of lump. Temperature was steady at 250 the whole time. All I had to use was Royal Oak, with mostly small pieces (smaller than a golf ball). Is the small lump the reason I ran out?

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    You can fill your egg up to the fire ring. You should be able to get 18+ hours when loaded up with lump to the fire ring. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • It was filled up past the fire ring, almost touching the plate setter. Couldn’t get any more in. Size of the lump is the only thing I could come up with. I’ve done 18 hour cooks with no problem. Don’t remember the lump size though. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    There are just as many btu's in small pieces that there are in large pieces by weight.....and the only way to get rid of lump faster, is to burn it faster (which would result in a higher temp.) 

Sounds like you didnt have enough to begin with, or the temp gauge is wrong.   Make sure you got it filled up all the way to the top of the fire ring.
  • I have two different devices with two different probes all reading the same. Are you saying lump size won’t effect how long the lump lasts? Only the temperature you’re burning at?
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    I would have just went right into the oven
    Columbus, Ohio
  • That’s what I did, into the oven. But I shouldn’t have to do that. After all it’s an EGG, I’ve done 18 hour cooks before, at the same temperature. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    45 pounds of cold protein , bringing the egg back to equilibrium is my guess, especially if you had a fan control, that would have been ramped up for quite a while 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,427
    Hi charlieBGE

I don't have an XL but 45lbs of protein could possibly have blocked the heat to the temp probe?  Maybe it was running hard trying to get up to temp, burning a lot of lump initially?  How did they turn out?
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • stlcharcoal
    I have two different devices with two different probes all reading the same. Are you saying lump size won’t effect how long the lump lasts? Only the temperature you’re burning at?
    The lump size does not affect the burn time.  BTU is by by weight, not size.  It can be anywhere from 10000-13000 BTW/#, but that doesn't matter if it's a giant cantaloupe sized chunk, or a pile of fines the same weight.  If it's carbonized properly, the BTU is the same.

The size can affect the the temp because of the airflow that gets to it, but it doesn't affect the temp it *could* reach or maintain.  Since you are metering the air getting to the lump via a draft door, fan, etc, the the temp is maintained.  If you're lump was "burning faster" you would have seen a subsequent rise in temperature.  Law of conservation of energy.....that BTU has to go somewhere.
  • rpeters
    rpeters Posts: 5
    I have had a similar situation and figured it was because of the chunk size. I use Royal Oak also and when I get down to the bottom of the bag and use the smaller chunks it seems to use them a lot faster.

I understand what you guys are saying about the BTU, but if you have the BGE filled with golf ball sized chunks vs filled with grapefruit sized chunks, it seems like it would burn through the smaller chunks faster.

I'd love to understand more to help with longer cooks.
  • stlcharcoal
    rpeters said:
    I have had a similar situation and figured it was because of the chunk size. I use Royal Oak also and when I get down to the bottom of the bag and use the smaller chunks it seems to use them a lot faster.

I understand what you guys are saying about the BTU, but if you have the BGE filled with golf ball sized chunks vs filled with grapefruit sized chunks, it seems like it would burn through the smaller chunks faster.

I'd love to understand more to help with longer cooks.
    It does not.  BTU is BTU.  You cannot burn it faster or slower without a temperature change.

Remember though, we're talking WEIGHT not VOLUME.

That being said, but the carbonization has to be equal.  The larger the chunks, the less BTU they *could* have because often times wood fiber is still holding that big chunk together.  And on the contrary, the smaller pieces may have a higher carbonization, and that's what caused them to be more brittle and break apart.  But in that case, with the regard to weight, the smaller pieces will have a HIGHER BTU per pound.

Heavy/dense "charcoal" is not charcoal, it's charred wood.....not charcoal yet unless you can break it apart by hand.
  • Thanks for all the helpful replies. As far as small chunks vs. large chunks in regards to burn time at a particular temperature, I’m on the fence about that one. As someone mentioned, the placement of the probe going to the controller could be a factor. It was on the grate in front of the two butts on the bottom rack. The Egg could have been running hotter than the probe said. I noticed the dome temperature was 50 deg f higher than the grate. This is not unusual but at some point in the cook they usually come together. I think I’ll try controlling off the dome temperature next time. The size of the lump effecting air flow is interesting. Not sure is small or large lump is better for the air flow. Anyway the bbq turned out great. Now for a bbq sandwich. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    Thanks for all the helpful replies. As far as small chunks vs. large chunks in regards to burn time at a particular temperature, I’m on the fence about that one. As someone mentioned, the placement of the probe going to the controller could be a factor. It was on the grate in front of the two butts on the bottom rack. The Egg could have been running hotter than the probe said. I noticed the dome temperature was 50 deg f higher than the grate. This is not unusual but at some point in the cook they usually come together. I think I’ll try controlling off the dome temperature next time. The size of the lump effecting air flow is interesting. Not sure is small or large lump is better for the air flow. Anyway the bbq turned out great. Now for a bbq sandwich. 

i had a roaring fire, maybe a 1000 degrees with 34 pounds of butts and brisket on and i could not get a temp reading above 170f before shutting the vents down. i was doing it manually, it burned half the lump before i figured out what was going on.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    I get the best heat with FOGO Super Premium Gold, massive chunks

LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • Can you break those big Fogo chunks in half with your hands? The comment from sticharcoal above says you should be able to. 
  • stlcharcoal
    Thanks for all the helpful replies. As far as small chunks vs. large chunks in regards to burn time at a particular temperature, I’m on the fence about that one. As someone mentioned, the placement of the probe going to the controller could be a factor. It was on the grate in front of the two butts on the bottom rack. The Egg could have been running hotter than the probe said. I noticed the dome temperature was 50 deg f higher than the grate. This is not unusual but at some point in the cook they usually come together. I think I’ll try controlling off the dome temperature next time. The size of the lump effecting air flow is interesting. Not sure is small or large lump is better for the air flow. Anyway the bbq turned out great. Now for a bbq sandwich. 
    With a fan controller, you really don't need to worry about that.....the fan is going to push the air into the firebox.

Large lump is going to be better for airflow, which could be a good thing or a bad thing.  It's definitely harder to get started.  If you're maintaining 225F in a Large, the area of lump actually burning probably isn't any bigger than your fist.  With the "fire triangle", you need air, fuel, and a kindling temp.  You have the first two, but you have to maintain 670F'ish in the charcoal to keep it going.  If you have a huge piece of charred wood or charcoal, it's acting as a huge heat sink and with suck that heat away.  And if you have big chunks, the spot that's burning might not have a "fire bridge" to get that 670F over to the other chunk as it starts to burn out.

Best thing to have is a good mix of sizes so you have airflow, fire bridges, etc.  

Here's an article I wrote that has a a lot more science of charcoal.  https://www.pizza-porta.com/blog/2019/8/18/guest-blog-charcoal-rockwood-charcoal
  • stlcharcoal
    Can you break those big Fogo chunks in half with your hands? The comment from sticharcoal above says you should be able to. 
    If it doesn't break apart by hand, nor shatters when dropped, it's not charcoal yet.

If it makes a dull "thud" rather than a metallic "tink", it's not charcoal yet.

If has any brown rather than black with a shiny appearance, it's not charcoal yet.

If it smokes more than a few minutes on startup, produces blue flames, or leaves a bunch of bright flaky white ash, it wasn't charcoal yet.

If the physical size of a 20# bag is considerably smaller than another brand's 20# bag, it's probably not charcoal yet.
  • stlcharcoal
     As someone mentioned, the placement of the probe going to the controller could be a factor. It was on the grate in front of the two butts on the bottom rack. The Egg could have been running hotter than the probe said. I noticed the dome temperature was 50 deg f higher than the grate.
    Forgot to mention on this.....

That's kind of odd the grate temp was lower than the dome temp, but not a big deal.  Usually the other way around, especially with that much meat.  A big honkin' piece of meat is going to use a ton of heat, so the dome temp will be considerably less than the grate, especially in the first few hours.

You want the pit probe at grate level at least a few inches away from any meat and the edge of the dome; and not above the meat, a water pan, or drip pan.  Place it above a plate setter leg to keep it from direct heat from the fire. 

It could have been the fire just migrated to one side of the firebox.  It will move around, especially on an XL where it's so shallow.  I usually turn the grate 90-180 a few times on an XL during a long smoke.

In the meantime, just test the dome temp gauge and pit probe in some boiling water.  Don't get too hung up on it, because either one is only measuring a few square inches.  It's going fluctuate.  If you want to be surprised, clip that probe in your oven in a few different spots and watch the temp swings.  
  • Pook
    Pook Posts: 43
    There is a guy on here who makes different sized screens to sift his lump. That might help.  
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,745
    Can you break those big Fogo chunks in half with your hands? The comment from sticharcoal above says you should be able to. 
    Just to nitpick here a little here, but what @stlcharcoal said was you should be able as long as it's fully carbonized. I have used Fogo and would not be surprised if some of those big chunks you tend to get with that brand are not fully carbonized.

Also, In case if it's not clear by his forum name or maybe some newcomers here are unfamiliar, but there's probably not a better charcoal resource on here than stlcharcoal.

Regardless, glad this issue didn't derail your cook. I'm sure it was great.
    Stillwater, MN
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    All I can say, there are so many variables involved a one time 12 hr cook instead of a 18 hr cook can be chalked up to that.  Too many things could be going on.  Kind of like the cook time from one cook to the next before the meat is perfect.