Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fahrenheit 451

Options
Not so much science fiction these days:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/04/17/public-libraries-books-censorship/

If you can't access because it's behind a paywall, here's a choice excerpt:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    I repeat myself:

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    Wondering how leaders of a Public library, funded by the public, can keep the public from attending and speaking at library meetings. Also did the new board members not have library cards because the can't fill out a request for a library card or can't read at all?  What will these "leaders" do next - publish the names and titles of the books checked out by their perceived enemies? 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,982
    Options
    Seriously though, some of the books they’re taking off the shelves… this is not good. 
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    As Walt Kelly published in his Pogo cartoon strip -  "We have met the enemy and he is us".
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,411
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina - Thanks for the alert.  I was able to click the link and get the entire article as a guest.  
    I believe in all the open literature that is and should be out there as it was vetted at one point.  But, and there is always a but... Who can address any reasonable questions that children will have?  Teachers will duck and cover and for many homes any balanced conversation is not an option.  
    It is never easy and I do not have a way ahead as I am not personally impacted right now.  That situation will change in a few years when my grandkids are in school.  
    Perhaps I will have that conversation with their parents (gotta be on the planet for that to be an option.)
    Stay healthy and safe out there. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @JohnInCarolina - Thanks for the alert.  I was able to click the link and get the entire article as a guest.  
    I believe in all the open literature that is and should be out there as it was vetted at one point.  But, and there is always a but... Who can address any reasonable questions that children will have?  Teachers will duck and cover and for many homes any balanced conversation is not an option.  
    It is never easy and I do not have a way ahead as I am not personally impacted right now.  That situation will change in a few years when my grandkids are in school.  
    Perhaps I will have that conversation with their parents (gotta be on the planet for that to be an option.)
    Stay healthy and safe out there. 
    I think I’d be more sympathetic to the kids argument were we talking about say libraries in grade schools.  These are public libraries for people who live in the town.  And some of the books are not remotely controversial among the portion of the citizenry who are, you know, actually sane.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,411
    Options
    Thanks for the mid-course guidance correction.  Clearly I was focused on a different objective. BTW- not the first time.  B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,354
    Options

And they won't tell the public which titles were dq'd and which parts of each offending book was "guilty".
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:

And they won't tell the public which titles were dq'd and which parts of each offending book was "guilty".
    Wait until they find out what the science textbooks have to say about evolution…
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Those that complain about social media censoring information (that is false and hurtful to society) are themselves censoring media by pulling/banning (mostly fiction) from libraries.  This stinks of social war.

If history is any guide, anyone notice any similarities with what's going on here and China's cultural revolution?

Nah. Probably my imagination.
    Options
    just burn all the books, all of them. google is more interesting. this aint the 1800's
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it