Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

tri tip help

Options
greg70
greg70 Posts: 6
help! i am smoking two tri tips total 5 lbs at 225 degrees indirect i put them on at 10:30 (less than a hour ago) thinking it would take about two hours and they are almost to temp. how do slow them down, what should i do guest are not due for an hour 

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    Not too sure how advise this. I usually just do tri tip like normal steak and reverse sear. I would pull them and let them rest in a cooler or something. Not too sure how much carry over you are going to get. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• AprèsSki
    AprèsSki Posts: 131
    Options
    Pull them when they are 10 degrees below your desired serving temperature, wrap in foil and toss in a cooler to hold the temp. 15 minutes before serving open the vents and give it a good sear.
    Firing up my XL Big Green Egg, KJ Jr. or Weber gasser in Salt Lake City
  • greg70
    Options
    that was my plan s reverse sear but now worried the tri tip would be over cooked while waiting. i can try the cooler deal and see what happens, thanks
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    Here's another approach to tri tip that may work on your favor:
    Cooking tri tip like a brisket-recipe here:
    https://howtobbqright.com/2022/03/24/tri-tip-brisket-style/  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    small pieces dont take long to get to 120, just pull below temp you want. Hold then sear. Do you have a good temp probe?
  • greg70
    Options
    yes, thermal works. i pulled and held on my gas grill at 100 until guess arrived then heated up and seared all worked out real good TRI Tip came of med rare and was delicious. thanks for the input. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Tri tip is great all the way up and down the IT spectrum 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    greg70 said:
    yes, thermal works. i pulled and held on my gas grill at 100 until guess arrived then heated up and seared all worked out real good TRI Tip came of med rare and was delicious. thanks for the input. 
    It seems as though you forgot to attach requisite photos.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Not a problem at all. You just pull, tent if you like, and crank the heat up to 500 or so for a final sear. 2m-2m-2m-2m. Safe to leave off the grill for up to an hour no problem.

Don't forget to rest after you are done. 15m minimum.

EDIT: actually read the thread and I agree with @AprèsSki
    Mountain View, CA
  • greg70
    Options
    seems i forgot the photo.. I'll make sure to attach one next time kind of new at this forum stuff. i think it's cool and appreciate all the comments.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,088
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Tri tip is great all the way up and down the IT spectrum 
    This.  Tri-tip is very forgiving if you cut against the grain.  I prefer hot & fast, but smoked, reverse sear, sous vide, etc are all great.  Very versatile cut.  Probably my favorite (except for another forgiving cut, beef ribs)
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Sous vide. 130F for 12 hours,  then sear