Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza on large - anyone using any add-in units?

Options
I'm looking to up my pizza cooking game this summer.

Looking at several options including kettlepizza for my 22, a standalone oven of some sort or an add on for the large.

Is anyone here using a dojoe, or a pizza-porta?  I tried to search but didn't really find anything.

I'm sure I'll get lots of other suggestions which is fine. The only constraint is budget, and I don't plan to buy a $2K pizza oven.
current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    What is your budget?  That would be helpful to know.

The Pizza-Porta is running for $350 these days for the Large BGE.  At $350, you can purchase any number of portable pizza ovens that will probably suit you better.  

To me, upping your pizza game means being willing to get to the higher end of the temperature scale, and that only really works well on a dedicated oven.  Lots of good options there on the small and portable side, from the Oonis to the Roccboxes and etc.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    This ^^^
    canuckland
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options
    Thanks @JohnInCarolina and @Canugghead

I keep ending up in the dedicated oven decision but wanted to ask here in case I was missing something.

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
  • danhoo
    Options
    I didn't answer the budget question...

I don't really have one. 

I've cooked pizza in my elec oven, my gas grills, the BGE and they all have shortcomings. 

The ooni 12 is too small. 

A 16 would be better. I'll keep looking around. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    danhoo said:

I don't really have one. 

I've cooked pizza in my elec oven, my gas grills, the BGE and they all have shortcomings. 

With no budget. I'd buy this.

https://us.gozney.com/products/dome?variant=39308025135241
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • danhoo
    Options
    danhoo said:

I don't really have one. 

With no budget. I'd buy this.

https://us.gozney.com/products/dome?variant=39308025135241
    LOL,

I think you perceived "no budget" as "no limit" to my budget.   

I guess I do have a budget. I need to sell my pellet ( maybe get $200 ) and my WSM 22 ( maybe get $200 ) and finish renewing a 98 Genesis 2000 and I might net $100 and then I'll have some cash to throw at a pizza oven.

I'm not saying I can't afford one, that's not the point.  I'm trying to keep my grilling/smoking/cooking/pizza making addition in check. 

That said, I'd like to keep whatever I do under $1000, and if possible closer to $500

tnx
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited April 2022
    Options
    danhoo said:

I don't really have one. 

I think you just talked yourself into an Ooni 16 :)

I've been eyeing that one myself. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    The Versa 16 looks interesting.

https://youtu.be/KSryWq0I_oM
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    DoJoe won't work on the BGE due to the way the hinge works.  The only exception is that it *might* work with the older Large that had the springs in the back vs the side.......but then if you ever have to change the bands out, you're not going to be able to use the DoJoe anymore.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    WeberWho said:

$500

Reminds me of the pizza oven Blackstone used to put out.  Definitely interesting.  
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    WeberWho said:

$500

Reminds me of the pizza oven Blackstone used to put out.  Definitely interesting.  

Can't wait for J. Kenji to review this one. I'm guessing in his beauty pageant part of his review he'll like this one better than he did the Blackstone:

"The Minor Problems: I have a few little issues with the Blackstone. The first is aesthetic. This thing is not attractive, and, unless your backyard is decorated to look like the cheap-grill display in the parking lot of a Home Depot, it's gonna stick out. "

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    WeberWho said:

$500

Can't wait for J. Kenji to review this one. I'm guessing in his beauty pageant part of his review he'll like this one better than he did the Blackstone:

"The Minor Problems: I have a few little issues with the Blackstone. The first is aesthetic. This thing is not attractive, and, unless your backyard is decorated to look like the cheap-grill display in the parking lot of a Home Depot, it's gonna stick out. "

Maybe.  I did watch some reviews of it online, and I have to say it looks a little flimsy.  The rotating stone is appealing for sure, but motorized/electronic parts tend not to do well when exposed to 900F+ temps on a periodic basis.  
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    WeberWho said:

$500

Maybe.  I did watch some reviews of it online, and I have to say it looks a little flimsy.  The rotating stone is appealing for sure, but motorized/electronic parts tend not to do well when exposed to 900F+ temps on a periodic basis.  
    agreed, the lid looks like incredibly thin metal, no insulation either.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    I just use CGS adjustable rig with round stone on the spider, pizza stone
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Pizza Hut, my favorite pizza cooker  B)