Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSA - Nest & Rubber Pads

Options
Ozzie_Isaac
Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
edited April 2022 in EggHead Forum
I have a Medium that lived in a nest from day one.  The nest had the rubber pads on the ends as seen in the first photo.  When I went to remove the egg from the nest, the glaze stayed attached to the rubber pad as opposed to the egg, which was unfortunate.  You can see the white patches of exposed ceramic.  The patch on the back is rather large.  The Egg still functions, but it now looks a bit unseemly.  The XL was similar, but I cut the pad of the nest, then used a heat gun to carefully remove the pad without damaging the egg.  I recommend tossing the rubber pad and just use the nest naked.

TL:DR - Rubber pad on nest pulled the enamel off.  Careful when removing from a nest, and better yet remove the rubber pad before putting egg in the nest for the first time.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin

Comments

• chzplz
    chzplz Posts: 59
    Options
    that’s disappointing.  Are you going to try the BGE touch up paint?
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    Not real great considering my XL has been in a nest since I got it
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    That's a bummer.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    chzplz said:
    That is the plan.  I contacted the dealer I have been working with.  They talked to BGE and the solution offered was touch up paint.  They said it is cosmetic and not structural.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Try applying heat to soften the vinyl and break the bond.
    canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Try applying heat to soften the vinyl and break the bond.
    I did this on my XL and it worked.  I used a heat gun and was careful.  If I had the time, I would have done it while the egg was hot from cooking.
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    Options
    I suppose even with the glaze the ceramic is still porous. Mine's been in a nest since day one as well and the rubber is definitely melted.
  • RyanStl
    edited April 2022
    Options
    chzplz said:
    That is the plan.  I contacted the dealer I have been working with.  They talked to BGE and the solution offered was touch up paint.  They said it is cosmetic and not structural.
    I bought the BGE touchup paint and it was a complete waste of money.  It was like $14 for an ounce at the time.  Of course if you are getting for free, that's different.  However, mine did not match at all.  I would have been better going to Michael's or Hobby Lobby and color matching myself.

Edit: For what it's worth, it's been 2 years and the paint is still there an no further flaking.  I had one spot on my XL dome about the size of a nickel and a nick on the chimney that's now covered with felt.
  • MediumRarely
    Options
    chzplz said:
    I color matched BGE Green and painted my Big Green Frog and the concrete stand (inverted truncated cone) under my XL. Everything came out well. Although I do have a 3mm air gap, my biggest concern was heat at the interface between the Egg and the stand. I haven't seen any negative impact. I did use a primer on both.

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    chzplz said:
    I bought the BGE touchup paint and it was a complete waste of money.  It was like $14 for an ounce at the time.  Of course if you are getting for free, that's different.  However, mine did not match at all.  I would have been better going to Michael's or Hobby Lobby and color matching myself.

Edit: For what it's worth, it's been 2 years and the paint is still there an no further flaking.  I had one spot on my XL dome about the size of a nickel and a nick on the chimney that's now covered with felt.
    I've only been around here for 20 years now, but I used to post a series of brand names of acrylic paints plus their product numbers...now I can not find that list....but my best advice is merely take your rain bonnet to an art craft store and match up a PERFECT match! That will both WORK and SAVE you some coins!

Why? Regardless when your BGE was made then that broken glaze section will NEVER match whatever paint your dealer will be selling you! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    RRP said:
    RyanStl said:
    chzplz said:

Why? Regardless when your BGE was made then that broken glaze section will NEVER match whatever paint your dealer will be selling you! 

My wife and I painted our house a few years ago and my buddy who was a professional painter hooked us up with a nice discount with one of his accounts at  Sherwin Williams. My buddy went into Sherwin Williams the first time to make sure we were able to be placed under his work account. We had to make the trip back two or three more times to his store which wasn't the most convenient as we had a Sherwin Williams a few miles down the road. The reason.....the paint machine. He says every paint machine is different. They can be the exact same machine and model from each store but you'll get two different paint results. Once you start with the paint machine stick with it. When he was painting professionally he would be able to tell the difference between two different machines with the exact same paint code numbers. 

That never even crossed my mind....
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    Options
    For touch up paint you'll be a whole lot happier if you just use fingernail polish. There is always a drug store around every corner and they have lots of different shades of forest green.

Plus, for the measly $5 you spend, you'll get a free brush.
    If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • RyanStl
    Options
    Free brush, now you're talking
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I can't find it but I am almost certain that a forum member had the base replaced under warranty for this issue.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I can't find it but I am almost certain that a forum member had the base replaced under warranty for this issue.  
    Don’t spend a lot of time looking! That problem has been a warranty issue MANY times and just letting a corporate reply of that not being an issue is BS! THAT lame excuse does not measure up to your life time warranty for an original buyer/owner IMHO, 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited April 2022
    Options
    RRP said:
    kl8ton said:
    Don’t spend a lot of time looking! That problem has been a warranty issue MANY times and just letting a corporate reply of that not being an issue is BS! THAT lame excuse does not measure up to your life time warranty for an original buyer/owner IMHO, 
    That was Bruce's very own reply. After my dealer turned me down, I reached out to Bruce.  I was pretty disappointed.  I measured and a Large Kamado Joe will fit where my medium is and the Big Joe will fit in my XL's spot, not planning to swap, but I will admit thought crossed my mind.  I have only made 1 warranty claim in 12 years, and I have 3 eggs under warranty.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    RRP said:
    kl8ton said:
    That was Bruce's very own reply. After my dealer turned me down, I reached out to Bruce.  I was pretty disappointed.  I measured and a Large Kamado Joe will fit where my medium is and the Big Joe will fit in my XL's spot, not planning to swap, but I will admit thought crossed my mind.  I have only made 1 warranty claim in 12 years, and I have 3 eggs under warranty.

Just what is the purpose of the rubber pads? 
    If they fuse to the glaze that seems to be a manufacturing defect, given that portions of the glaze pull off when you remove the Egg from the Nest.  Confused why that is not a legit warranty claim.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    RRP said:
    kl8ton said:

Just what is the purpose of the rubber pads? 
    If they fuse to the glaze that seems to be a manufacturing defect, given that portions of the glaze pull off when you remove the Egg from the Nest.  Confused why that is not a legit warranty claim.
    I was too.  I assumed it would...BGE nest, setup at dealer, used in Nest for its entire life...remove from nest and.glaze comes off.  All BGE components.
  • Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Options
    How long was it in the nest?
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Hansm said:
    I think 8 years.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Hansm said:
    I think 8 years.

Edit: 7 years 1 month and 6 days in my possession, no idea how long dealer had it on the floor for.  Medium Eggs do not sell quickly.