Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Char Sui

Options
Super easy and tasty. No plates photo but served with rice and fresh fruit salad 

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Drool!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    edited April 2022
    Options
    This something I discovered last year. It's so good and yours turned out great.

What cut did you use? I deboned a pork shoulder when I did mine. Then the second time bought one already deboned.
  • CPARKTX2
    CPARKTX2 Posts: 222
    Options
    RyanStl said:

What cut did you use? I deboned a pork shoulder when I did mine. Then the second time bought one already deboned.
    @RyanStl I used a boneless pork butt…easier and I can’t tell any advantage to bone-in. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Raichlen's gonna steal that pic!

Looks fantastic. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MediumRarely
    Options
    RyanStl said:

Yours has the crazy good look of supreme Char Siu. Been doing this for years too. We love most Asian flavor profiles. One of my wife's favorites is to SV thick slices of pork butt @140 for 8 hours +. I make my own sauce/marinade from Grant Crilly's recipe (Chef Steps). Chill meat and then grill/sear on high. Have also used tenderloin @135 for a couple of hours. But truly, the caramelized marinade is the key for us. Yours looks spectacular.

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    RyanStl said:

Yours has the crazy good look of supreme Char Siu. Been doing this for years too. We love most Asian flavor profiles. One of my wife's favorites is to SV thick slices of pork butt @140 for 8 hours +. I make my own sauce/marinade from Grant Crilly's recipe (Chef Steps). Chill meat and then grill/sear on high. Have also used tenderloin @135 for a couple of hours. But truly, the caramelized marinade is the key for us. Yours looks spectacular.
    In St. Louis we call sliced pork butt pork steaks, but they are usually that thick. How thick do you go?
  • MediumRarely
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    RyanStl said:

In St. Louis we call sliced pork butt pork steaks, but they are usually that thick. How thick do you go?

I go anywhere between 1.5" to the entire butt - slicing up after SV. SV at this temp yields pork with the firmness/texture of steak. Then slather with char siu sauce and sear. One my fav's.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I cooked char siu back ribs a couple of months ago.  I sliced between each rib but left the last 1/2” or so attached and marinated them overnight then grilled them like normal ribs, hitting them with char siu glaze at the end.  After that I separated each rib, tossed in a little more glaze and finished under the broiler.   They were amazing.   I need to do these again, happy for the reminder.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Legume said:
    I cooked char siu back ribs a couple of months ago.  I sliced between each rib but left the last 1/2” or so attached and marinated them overnight then grilled them like normal ribs, hitting them with char siu glaze at the end.  After that I separated each rib, tossed in a little more glaze and finished under the broiler.   They were amazing.   I need to do these again, happy for the reminder.
    That sounds like something I’d do.  I just had breakfast and now I’m hungry for ribs!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Lee kum kee has really good char siu sauce
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    MasterC said:
    Lee kum kee has really good char siu sauce
    Ho Lee Char Siu!
    canuckland
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    great looking cook . . . put char sui on the grocery list!
    Thanks for posting
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    @MasterC +1 on the Lee Kum Kee.  I used their sauce as my glaze.
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,375
    Options
    I've used various Lee kum kee products and they all have been good.

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Tip2Tip
    Tip2Tip Posts: 100
    Options
    My girlfriend likes to use the Kum Quik Lee sauce.  
    California
  • fiber_induced_deuce
    Options
    Tip2Tip said:
    My girlfriend likes to use the Kum Quik Lee sauce.  
    Nah, that’s just what she tells you.
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Good lord, that looks perfect!  If you don’t already have one, pick up a bamboo steamer and make bao dumplings.  It might be my favorite food ever.  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• MediumRarely
    Options
    MasterC said:
    I've used various Lee kum kee products and they all have been good.

Agreed, especially the Char Siu. They are typically the best (for me) out of the jar. A lot to be said for convenience, but still a bit salty for my taste. I usually opt for freshly made and think the juice is well worth the squeeze.