Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oysters - Raw vs Rockefeller vs other

What's your favorite for oysters?  Raw vs rockefeller? Or do you have something else?  We always do raw but I started thinking about other options.

Comments

• Chargrilled!  I think @lousubcap did some terrific looking examples recently.  Make sure you wear some protective eye wear.  Bits of shell can pop up while grilling.
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    In order of preference I like oystahs:

1. Raw
    2. Char grilled
    3. Poboy
    4. Stewed
    5. dressing

rockefeller is same as grilled
    Chargrilled for the win in my book.  I have been playing around with the contents mentioned in the below youtube video for quite awhile.  I never measure.  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y06JMupjtw4  
    I have chased the holy grail of the chargrilled at Drago's.  Can't beat 'em.  
    I also enjoy them raw, rockefeller and about any other way offered in a seafood/oyster house. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,851

1. Raw
    2. Char grilled
    3. Poboy
    4. Stewed
    5. dressing

This is right.
    NOLA
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 699

1. Raw
    2. Char grilled
    3. Poboy
    4. Stewed
    5. dressing

I'm in. What time? 

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,351
    edited March 2022
    I vote that @nolaegghead hosts an Oyster Camp in the Spring to go along with Brisket Camp. Anyone second the motion?
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • nolaegghead
    CTMike said:
    I vote that @nolaegghead hosts an Oyster Camp in the Spring to go along with Brisket Camp. Anyone second the motion?
    I usually pick up oysters, but by the time we get to them after all the Q everyone's too drunk and lazy to shuck.   But I'm game.

CTMike said:
    I usually pick up oysters, but by the time we get to them after all the Q everyone's too drunk and lazy to shuck.   But I'm game.

I might not have been clear. I meant a separate stand alone event with oystahs served all the ways you mentioned above. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • nolaegghead
    CTMike said:
    CTMike said:

I might not have been clear. I meant a separate stand alone event with oystahs served all the ways you mentioned above. 
    That sounds great! 

Could always combine it with a crawfish boil at the same time (just need @johnincarolina’s GI Metal turning peel to stir with) and call it Seafood camp. Throw in a live Zydeco band and you’ve got the makings of a raucous good time. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    My favorite way is whatever is in front of me-

really can’t go wrong
    Greensboro, NC
  • nolaegghead
    I am reminded about the peel incident about as much as one who had spilled wine on their wife at a HS reunion.
    What's your favorite for oysters? 
    When done proper, chargrilled.
    Next would be deep fried followed closely by fried. 
    Next would be Bienville 
    Next would be gumboed/stewed 
    Next would be raw.
    After that the rest would be pretty equal. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    What's the difference between deep fried and fried?  The pressure at depth? Or is fried mean pan fried where only half of the oyster is in oil.
     Or is fried mean pan fried where only half of the oyster is in oil.
    This ^^^^^

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,597
    If @nolaegghead serves up a crawfish boil here (like he did in the Spring of 2021) then you have the opportunity for the double header.  Crawfish and more (brisket in 2021-no Linda  :s ) and Drago's as well.  I couldn't have scripted it much better.
    So you may get the opportunity-  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,233
    All ways listed but raw nowadays the limit is 5,. 6 and I give them all back

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,345
    If we are talking half shell I like them:
    1-Bienville 
    2-Chargrilled
    3-Rockefeller 

Otherwise, I enjoy them in gumbo or fried!

LBGE
    AL
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,130
    I can say that I like them almost every way. 

I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,053
    What's the difference between deep fried and fried?  The pressure at depth? Or is fried mean pan fried where only half of the oyster is in oil.
    Traditionally, deep-fried AND fried means "cooking in hot oil to cover"; cooking with oil only halfway up is technically "sautèed".
    But that's "traditional", oyster chefs may have a totally different language.  

You don't see it around much anymore, but "broasted" chicken is deep-frying under pressure; there's a restaurant north of me, called Maddox, that I can get this style of chicken; not something I'd ever want to try in my own kitchen.  

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• nolaegghead
    Oysters are always deep fried or sautéed (for pasta or similar) around here.  No breading except when deep fried. 
    Love char grilled.  The Rockefellers are really good, but only if they dont over do the cheese and garlic to a point that you can't taste the oyster.
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    I've just about given up raw, except in Winter, due to the prevalence of vibriosis in our waters once they warm a bit.  Vibrio is a form of flesh-eating bacteria and not to be trifled with.
    Grilled for me, these days.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,444
    For raw northern oysters are FAR superior.  If it is from south of VA it needs to be cooked.  Prefer chargrilled, roasted, or fried.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,039
    You will thank me later.  

Chargrilled Oyster Topping
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,597
    @RajunCajun - I endorse your hidden secrets in your post.  Drago's has it refined to the point where the only variable is that the quality of the oyster drives the deal.
    On a side note, I was enjoying a few oysters just south of Tampa last spring and commented, "These have got to be from Louisiana."  Confirmed as a couple of months prior I had been enjoying Drago's in NO.   That Drago's adventure will happen again.  

• RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,039
    lousubcap said:
    @RajunCajun - I endorse your hidden secrets in your post.  Drago's has it refined to the point where the only variable is that the quality of the oyster drives the deal.
    On a side note, I was enjoying a few oysters just south of Tampa last spring and commented, "These have got to be from Louisiana."  Confirmed as a couple of months prior I had been enjoying Drago's in NO.   That Drago's adventure will happen again.  

Aint nothing like a good salty raw oyster and a cold beer.

Cheers!!
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.