Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Online Forum for Gas Grills

Options
I'm looking at buying a gas grill in addition to my XL BGE, and I'm trying to find some unbiased reviews and recommendations.   Just about every review I can find online is from a store that's selling grills, which seems inherently unreliable.   Does anyone know of any good forums like this for gas grills.

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Check out the one Weber has:

https://tvwbb.com/
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • brenkjohnson
    Options
    Thanks John, but I'm hoping to find a resource that's not focused on a particular brand, so that I can get honest comparisons and assessments of several brands I'm considering.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Thanks John, but I'm hoping to find a resource that's not focused on a particular brand, so that I can get honest comparisons and assessments of several brands I'm considering.
    Well, just to point out the obvious, you will find evaluations of Kamado Joes here at the BGE forum.  

You could also check out the bbq-brethren site.  I don't expect they'd have much devoted to gas grills, but it's worth a look.
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Amazingribs.com has a great unbiased reviews and ratings section on almost anything related to BBQ & grilling.

Here is the starting page: Amazing Ribs
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    1voyager said:
    Amazingribs.com has a great unbiased reviews and ratings section on almost anything related to BBQ & grilling.

That is a great recommendation.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,354
    Options
    1voyager said:

I agree. Amazing Ribs is a great site that is not beholden to any specific manufacturer.
    They also have a great forum called the Pitmaster Club which costs $25/year and is money well spent. I think you can get a free 30 day trial which would give you time to research and ask some questions.
    The Virtual Weber Bullet site is a great site that was originally focused on the Weber Smokey Mountain cookers but has now branched out to have sections for their other grills. It is a fan site and is not owned or run by Weber so you wouldn't have to worry about any corporate influence - just the advice from those rabid fanboys. :).
    Another place to check out would be Reddit and look at the r/grilling subreddit.
    Don't forget this forum! Many folks here also own and use a gas grill and aren't shy about sharing opinions/experience.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    I'm looking at buying a gas grill in addition to my XL BGE, and I'm trying to find some unbiased reviews and recommendations.   Just about every review I can find online is from a store that's selling grills, which seems inherently unreliable.   Does anyone know of any good forums like this for gas grills.
    If you were near Ohio you would have a great hook up.  I have a 32 inch porcelain coated 4 burner gas grill.  8 additional new burners and 3 venturi tubes. Gas and propane set up.  Lifetime everything.  Hail.  I can't find anyone to help.
    Columbus, Ohio
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    if i were looking at a general purpose gasser i would just get a weber and use their forum, parts are easy to get and thats important to me. i dont cook anything fancy on the gasser though so having a higher end expensive infrared gasser to cook a hot dog isnt to important. they do have reviews online on best infrareds though and theres probably a few here that have them, post about that on the main forum here, this off topic forum doesnt generate much traffic. most of the forums people will tell you what they have, not whats best, thats been my experience anyways
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,413
    Options
    Another endorsement for a weber gasser as highlighted by @fishlessman.  Been in the game a long time, solid build (at least when I gave mine away a decade plus ago).  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    I have a Weber Genesis that's about five years old (right before they redesigned most of their models) and probably use it more during the week than my BGE. You kind of get what you pay for with grills. I would certainly run the comparison with Napoleon, but would hesitate to buy a Weber again.
    Stillwater, MN
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I have two genesis gas grills. One I've had since new in 2000, its a three burner genesis silver B. I also have 2016 Genesis E330 I bought used last spring. 

If I have time to cook on coal I'll use my large BGE, or my 22 inch kettle or both, but when I'm in a hurry the gas grills are just more convenient.

I don't' care for the 2022 model webers just released, and I really didn't like the 2017 through 2021 vintage grills that much either.

my Mom has a 2009 Genesis E320 and I prefer my silver B or my 2016 E330 over it.

my suggestion is look into used. I don't know where you live and how bad rust is but in my area getting a good used grill that may just need a good cleaning is not much $$$.

Good luck.

Oh, and the gang on tvwbb is not "blind" brand loyal. Many have more than one grill and have cooked on more than one brand. 

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Options
    Looking for a new Gasser for the quick after work grilling. NO WEBER, mine was a ball of fire again last night, damn flavor bars!  they are nothing but fire starters. Grill was running 325 to 350. Damn POS !!
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,354
    Options
    Hansm said:
    Looking for a new Gasser for the quick after work grilling. NO WEBER, mine was a ball of fire again last night, damn flavor bars!  they are nothing but fire starters. Grill was running 325 to 350. Damn POS !!

Weird...I had a Weber Genesis 2000 for 25 years and don't recall the flavor bars ever spawning a fireball.
    As to forums you might try the BBQ Brethren and the Amazing Ribs website. The Amazing Ribs website's Pitmaster Forum would have a section for gassers. Their Pitmaster Forum isn't free but you can probably get a free 30 trial membership.
    As to brands, Kalamazoo is probably where you'll want to start. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    ive had lots of fires with gas grills but not on the currant (20 something year old) weber as well and im not big on cleanup. those old lava rock grills where a fire bomb but im not sure they even make those anymore
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • brenkjohnson
    Options
    Original poster here. After much research and talking to folks at several grill stores, I settled on a DCS Series 9.   It arrives this week.  Now it’s time to design and build the grill island.   Any suggestions for material for the countertop?    Nothing shiny like you might see in a kitchen.   I’m thinking soapstone maybe.  Other good options?