Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Piedmontese Ribeye Last Night, Meh!

dbCooper
dbCooper Posts: 2,061
edited February 2022 in Beef
Background info: This breed is touted as being leaner (hence healthier), more tender and more flavorful.  It has something to do with a genetic mutation and double muscles.  We were near a storefront dedicated to this breed earlier this week... https://www.cpmercato.com/  Since we've never cooked or eaten it we decided to give it a try.
Picked up a Ribeye and a pack of hot dogs.  Preference is bone-in, all they had was boneless.  The price was way above what we'd pay for Prime, by design it looks like Select or lower...

Went with reverse sear method.  Got a good deal on half-stone/grid for Adjustable Rig from Ceramic Grill Store back in December, first time using it.  Used only SPG and roasted at about 325 until hit 115 according the old reliable Poulder...

Seared for about 60 seconds per side, would have liked longer but internal temp did not cooperate...

Medium-rare or less is how we like steak, chef error took it more towards medium.  I thought it still looked pretty good...

Results were disappointing.  Tough, lacking in flavor and dry (in spite of all juice you see on the cutting board).  So dry in fact it took some 57 sauce to make it edible.  In our house no steak should ever need sauced.  Doubtful I'll be revisiting these to explore improving results, once was enough.  Hoping the hot dogs are better.
I am curious if others have done any cuts of Piedmontese and what your method/results were.
*edit to add forky plated pic
LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
Great Plains, USA

Comments