Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Sous vide unit recommendations

Options

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,646
    Options
    I just got mine today, fedex was a day late and delivered to the wrong address but alas it is here. I like the container and rack for hanging bags. No plans for a cook yet because @rrp has me making skyline.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• FreeNHim
    FreeNHim Posts: 42
    Options
    I look forward to seeing some additional pics from MasterC,and other advanced users, along with newbies like me utilizing Sous vide.
  • FreeNHim
    Options
    They look awesome, what’s the process from frozen? Adding butter, garlic and spice? Or do you make the red chili garlic butter sauce 1st? I'm feeling really dumb, haven’t been drinking yet either. 
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,373
    Options
    Shrimp were frozen with shell on and split. Used 2 tbsp of sauce and 1tbsp of butter along with a quarter tsp baking soda and pinch of salt. Put in 140° bath for 30 minutes 
    Got the sauce at our Asian market 

Picked up some crunchy garlic to and topped these shrimp seasoned with dizzy pig Tsunami Spin 

That crunchy bite of shrimp, dang
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • MasterC
    Options
    I just got mine today, fedex was a day late and delivered to the wrong address but alas it is here. I like the container and rack for hanging bags. No plans for a cook yet because @rrp has me making skyline.
    I'm pleased to see you finally received it. It's going to work perfectly with your honey bottles. 
    Have fun
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    My wife made fun of my improvised SV container, basically calling me a hoosier. She said how much for a real container and when I said $50, she replied that's all.  I ordered this.

My hoosier setup:

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Ain't nothin' wrong with that setup!  I usually use something similar, and I have been known to "seal" a large stainless serving spoon in a pocket below my protein to keep it from floating.  
    Clinton, Iowa
  • MediumRarely
    Options
    MasterC said:
    Shrimp were frozen with shell on and split. Used 2 tbsp of sauce and 1tbsp of butter along with a quarter tsp baking soda and pinch of salt. Put in 140° bath for 30 minutes 
    Got the sauce at our Asian market 

Picked up some crunchy garlic to and topped these shrimp seasoned with dizzy pig Tsunami Spin 

That crunchy bite of shrimp, dang

I agree with a couple of tweaks - frozen,  shell on, rinse well, pat dry, naked into the bag, SV @138F to 140F for 30 minutes (20 minutes will do if not frozen). Chill or not, then peel.

1.  Fat Free Option: I use S&P, paprika and Ancho chili powder (make my own in small batches - anchos into dry skillet, saute until wisps of smoke appear, buzz up into dust). Fold in spices to taste.

2.  Asian (sichuan"ish"): Toasted sesame oil, Ketjap Manis & Lao Gan Ma - all to taste.

3.  Republican: APL's Amped Up Cocktail Sauce

4. All the rest, many superb...

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

• MasterC
    Options
    Being a Hoosier is awesome.
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • MasterC
    Options
    18 hours in, 30 hours to go 

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    MasterC said:
    My mom did her undergraduate schooling there and dated a guy on the BB team, this was years before me.

Options
    MasterC said:
    My mom did her undergraduate schooling there and dated a guy on the BB team, this was years before me.

obviously.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• RyanStl
    Options
    MasterC said:
    For some reason in St. Louis the term for white trash red neck is Hoosier. Don't know why
  • MasterC
    Options
    Was there when Isaiah Thomas led the team to the NCAA championship. The biggest celebration I've ever been in.
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    MasterC said:

Bobby Knight?
    Clinton, Iowa
  • FreeNHim
    Options
    MasterC said:
    18 hours in, 30 hours to go 

What’s cooking? Based on temp I’m thinking a large cut of beef. 
  • FreeNHim
    Options
    MasterC said:
    Was there when Isaiah Thomas led the team to the NCAA championship. The biggest celebration I've ever been in.
    1981. Can you imagine if you had an Egg in the parking lot for that? WOW
  • MasterC
    Options
    A 48 hour chuck. See what an extra day will do
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • FreeNHim
    Options
    When you have frozen shrimp, what’s the best way to get the air out, so many voids ?
  • MasterC
    Options
    Are you vacuum sealing or zip lock bag
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • FreeNHim
    Options
    I used a zip lock this time, I thought we had some 15-20 count, but only had 25-30, and they were kind of frozen together. Still came out tasty, not as good looking as your’s. My daughter currently has our vacuum sealer. I would think the same thing would have happened. I placed a few spoons in the bag and a put a glass lid in to hold the bag down. Didn’t take too long for the air to work out, but….
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,646
    Options
    did you try to submerge the bag in water to push the air out? I read that somewhere.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• FreeNHim
    Options
    Yes I did, thinking that next time I might run under cool water until they break apart. Retrospect.
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    MasterC, I did this tonight using fermented chili paste, baking soda, and the butter, from from frozen. It’s definitely a keeper. I’ll switch up what I use to season but the ease is fantastic.  I have a chamber sealer so the air in bag, as mentioned above, was not an issue.  Thank you.  
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,095
    Options
    SV is great......not so much for cooking, but warming up protein, it is awesome.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    did you try to submerge the bag in water to push the air out? I read that somewhere.
    I have used this technique on occasion.  Buy a vacuum sealer - it will pay for itself through mitigating food waste and buying in bulk. 

edited March 2022
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    My wife made fun of my improvised SV container, basically calling me a hoosier. She said how much for a real container and when I said $50, she replied that's all.  I ordered this.

My hoosier setup:

The Everie container came in and it is really small.  This is going back.

I think I'm going to go cooler method because the money for these containers is pretty crazy. 

Edit: I see the 24 can cooler is also only 12 quarts.  Still looking.
  • RyanStl
    Options
    Decided to buck up and get the Anova 16 liter.  I'm planning to switch up my bbq routine to include SV, so I want something that can hold big cuts of meat. I decided the bespoke design is probaby worth the money.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,943
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    Decided to buck up and get the Anova 16 liter.  I'm planning to switch up my bbq routine to include SV, so I want something that can hold big cuts of meat. I decided the bespoke design is probaby worth the money.
    SV ribs are worth doing, in my opinion.  You have to experiment with the time in the bath, but you can pretty much dial in the level of tenderness.  I do 18 hrs at 147F.  I have a thread on the forum here walking you through the steps.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike