Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Talk me into/out of a Kamado Joe Jr. next to my BGE XL

Options
2»

Comments

• FlatsFisher
    Options
    I like the idea of building a new table for both grills. For those who have done it, what do you do about covers? Are there some generic off the shelf’s that work? I found one on Amazon for my XL plus about 3’ of table space and built my dimensions around it and it works perfectly 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    I have my MMX sat in it's nest on a large chunk of poplar trunk to bring it up to working height.
  • UncleKeith
    Options
    I have a Joe Jr. and love it. For me the size/price drove the decision, I got mine at the Kamado Joe Roadshow at COSTCO.

I have not done it but some of the folks on the KamadoGuru forum have talked about placing the Joe Jk. and stand in a large BGE nest to get it up to a better work height. If I could find one on Craigslist I’d give it a try.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,175
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Here is a review (I have not read) between the too.  I believe the embedded video further down was done by @unoriginalusername from this forum.

https://bbqinprogress.com/kamado-joe-jr-vs-minimax/
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,669
    Options

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• bbracey21
    bbracey21 Posts: 319
    Options
    I love my large & minimax combo! Joe Jr is worth the price however it wouldn’t work with my table. When I wanna use the MM I just move to the table top. Joe Jr wouldn’t store underneath with its stand like the MM. I purchased a nice cover off Amazon that fits perfectly with my table dimensions.
  • FlatsFisher
    Options
    bbracey21 said:
    I love my large & minimax combo! Joe Jr is worth the price however it wouldn’t work with my table. When I wanna use the MM I just move to the table top. Joe Jr wouldn’t store underneath with its stand like the MM. I purchased a nice cover off Amazon that fits perfectly with my table dimensions.
    Ive got that same cover off Amazon. It is great.  My first one lasted for about 3 years on my patio in direct FL sun. At a third of the price of the BGE branded one, it is a steal
  • BigGreenKev
    Options
    I got an XL about 11 years ago and use it about 3-5 times a week.  There are days the kids don't want to eat fish or whatever the wife and I are having and I always wanted a small or Jr.  Got a Joe Jr a year ago and love it.  I obviously survived just fine without it but it's nice to have.  It definitely does cook differently from a temp and thermal mass standpoint so there is a learning curve.  It does heat up faster and use less lump but it's not going to be a net money saver.  A month ago I purchased a small BGE nest and put that in it.  Still a little low to my liking but fits snug.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited January 2022
    Options
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave