Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Talk me into/out of a Kamado Joe Jr. next to my BGE XL

Options
I have been debating adding a Mini Max or Kamado Joe Jr. to my patio for some time.  I have a BGE XL that I love and use on average 2x per week but I feel like adding the smaller option will light quicker, burn less charcoal, and potentially cook faster for the smaller meals, like a steak or chicken breast for only the wife and me. Don't get me wrong, I love the excuse to drink some cold ones while I wait for it to light and cook but a little added speed would be nice for the weeknight burns plus you get the flavor of charcoal vs. gas. 

I've researched the KJr vs. the mini max and I think the KJ would suit my needs just fine especially with the price difference (costco currently has the KJr listed on their website for $330 plus it comes with the plate setter that would have to be purchased extra if I went with the BGE).  I have a small webber I use camping so the portability of either option isn't really a selling factor for me, it will live on the patio next to my XL. My wife has been giving me grief about wanting yet another grill so I don't want to prove her right by picking one up just to have it not do what I think it will. 

So for those that have been down this road, is it worth it? 

Comments

• MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Nope
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    I have not been down your specific road but I went with a SBGE over the Mini-Max several years ago.  I would go with the Joe Jr but give the forum search function here a look.  Plenty of threads that address your question.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    My Joe Jr is the most used grill
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    You missed the Christmas sale on the Joe Jr for $229 at Walmart last month. $330 isn't a bad deal for what you get. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • FreeNHim
    Options
    I was in the same situation as you, just purchased the Joe Jr from Atlanta Grill Co for $299. Received it Tuesday, hope to break it in this weekend.
  • AprèsSki
    AprèsSki Posts: 131
    Options
    Do it, after searching local classifieds for a Minimax or small Big Green Egg I ended up pulling the trigger on a Joe Jr. from Atlanta Grill Co. I think it was $300 including their version of a kick ass basket. 

I use it about equal to my XL, perfect for a few burgers, steaks or chicken pieces. I love how it is ready to go in about 15 minutes. 

They look good together.

Firing up my XL Big Green Egg, KJ Jr. or Weber gasser in Salt Lake City
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    I have been debating adding a Mini Max or Kamado Joe Jr. to my patio for some time.  I have a BGE XL that I love and use on average 2x per week but I feel like adding the smaller option will light quicker, burn less charcoal, and potentially cook faster for the smaller meals, like a steak or chicken breast for only the wife and me. Don't get me wrong, I love the excuse to drink some cold ones while I wait for it to light and cook but a little added speed would be nice for the weeknight burns plus you get the flavor of charcoal vs. gas. 

I've researched the KJr vs. the mini max and I think the KJ would suit my needs just fine especially with the price difference (costco currently has the KJr listed on their website for $330 plus it comes with the plate setter that would have to be purchased extra if I went with the BGE).  I have a small webber I use camping so the portability of either option isn't really a selling factor for me, it will live on the patio next to my XL. My wife has been giving me grief about wanting yet another grill so I don't want to prove her right by picking one up just to have it not do what I think it will. 

So for those that have been down this road, is it worth it? 

the Kamado Joe Jr has enough money leftover to add a small blackstone an a big burner for woking/steaming/beer making
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have one, I'm pretty agnostic about brands if they do the same exact thing.  The only significant difference is price and I prefer mail warranty service.
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I have one, I'm pretty agnostic about brands if they do the same exact thing.  The only significant difference is price and I prefer mail warranty service.
    The mail warranty service is a game changer in my mind.  Just remember to not fire your KJ in a kiln again.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Half the price for a larger kamado......buy it!  They're great.  The KJ Jr is basically the same size as a small BGE, not the MMax.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    You will save on charcoal as well, easier to clean than always using the XL. Reverse 
    sears are easier also
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    Do it. I have a LBGE and a Joe Jr. I use the JR as much if not more. 
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Don’t waste you money on another ceramic grill (that will crack) and will require warranty claims & frustration.  Buy a Oklahoma Joes Bronco ($389) or a Larger Bronco Pro ($750), and never look back..  No warranty issues, doesn’t require a controller, and burns lump w/wood chunks!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Care to explain what you mean about the "mail warranty service?" With my four eggs I'm old school here remembering when walking in to my dealer with a warranty issue and walking out with the replacement part! Granted THAT is now ancient customer service history.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    edited January 2022
    Options
    RRP said:
    Care to explain what you mean about the "mail warranty service?" With my four eggs I'm old school here remembering when walking in to my dealer with a warranty issue and walking out with the replacement part! Granted THAT is now ancient customer service history.
    Now a days the dealer waits till they make a big order, and even then some try to sting you with shipping to the tune of $100+.  Sometimes small dealers don't order for a month or two.

KJ, you email them pictures of the broken part, they send you a replacement in the mail.  Easy peasey.  That is how Weber does it too.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Agree 100% with Ozzie. My dealer only ordered every 90 days. And still charged me freight on warranty parts.
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    Now a days the dealer waits till they make a big order, and even then some try to sting you with shipping to the tune of $100+.  Sometimes small dealers don't order for a month or two.

KJ, you email them pictures of the broken part, they send you a replacement in the mail.  Easy peasey.  That is how Weber does it too.
    Just the way it should be! BTW my dealer used to stockpile fireboxes by the dozens and THAT was impressive customer service. Then…oh well…never mind…
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:

Just the way it should be! BTW my dealer used to stockpile fireboxes by the dozens and THAT was impressive customer service. Then…oh well…never mind…
     Lindy's is a great dealer, Jim is a stand up guy who always took care of me.  I finally found a good dealer her in AZ.  Took 6 years though.
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:

Lindy's is a great dealer, Jim is a stand up guy who always took care of me.  I finally found a good dealer her in AZ.  Took 6 years though.
    Apparently you don’t know that a few years back Lindy’s in Washington was sold to some guys I think up near Chicago, and they are not a BGE dealer.. I was referring to what had been my dealer “Hearth & Patio” in Peoria. Sadly, that too has changed ownership and biz practices.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited January 2022
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    RRP said:

Apparently you don’t know that a few years back Lindy’s in Washington was sold to some guys I think up near Chicago, and they are not a BGE dealer.. I was referring to what had been my dealer “Hearth & Patio” in Peoria. Sadly, that too has changed ownership and biz practices.
    What!  Oh that sucks.  Try Nena Hardware in GTown.  Justin Nena runs that store, and he is a great guy.  Hopefully, he still carries BGE.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Had both the small and the KJ jr. Liked the small better. Sold the KJ jr last Christmas. I really recommend a smaller grill to go with the bigger ones. The medium is by far my favorite smaller egg.
  • FlatsFisher
    FlatsFisher Posts: 13
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback! For those that use both, can you post some pics of your setup? My XL is in a wooden table I made and it has a cover that fits it perfectly. Ideally I’d like the KJr to be on the same height but in a stand alone stand like the BGE nest so it’s at the same height and I can use the table space of my existing table and cover it when not in use. A little skeptical about adding the KJr to my existing table since then my cover wouldn’t fit it well

as for the warranty comment, I agree it can be a pain in the rear end as evidence of just having to replace a cracked fire box. Luckily, I have several dealers around me. The closest said it would be a couple months until their next stock order but the next one I called had them in stock and swapped it out that day no problem. 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I love my BGEMM.  I like the carrier better than the wire-formed-plant-stand looking thing the KJjr comes with.  But, that is just me.

I would look at accessories.  You can get a lot for the BGEMM, and I assume the same is true for KJjr, but I have never looked.

Whatever you do, you will love it.  I cook for one and it is my go to grill most of the time.  It really is like cooking on a racecar.  Quick to temp, doesn't use a lot of lump, and just works well.

Enjoy!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Mr1egg
    Mr1egg Posts: 368
    Options
    Look at my profile pic, I defiantly think you should do it. The small to me seems really small and I would advise u to get a medium. I think that that size is perfect for two people with some left over food for another day.

what would be perfect is to get a primo junior, than u have an American made bbq and a nice oval design. 
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    I got the KJ Jr on Black Friday through Walmart (yuck), but would buy it again at full price. Still comes in at half the price of a MM and you get everything you need. It’s a good little grill. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback! For those that use both, can you post some pics of your setup? My XL is in a wooden table I made and it has a cover that fits it perfectly. Ideally I’d like the KJr to be on the same height but in a stand alone stand like the BGE nest so it’s at the same height and I can use the table space of my existing table and cover it when not in use. A little skeptical about adding the KJr to my existing table since then my cover wouldn’t fit it well

as for the warranty comment, I agree it can be a pain in the rear end as evidence of just having to replace a cracked fire box. Luckily, I have several dealers around me. The closest said it would be a couple months until their next stock order but the next one I called had them in stock and swapped it out that day no problem. 

• TheBreeze
    Options
    I would recommend looking at a small rather than a mini max if you aren't interested in portability.  I have a small and it is a fantastic grill.  The larger firebox gives you a lot more versatility and better performance, particularly when you are doing indirect cooks.  I use the small alongside my large and really like the combo.  
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Why not, unless you really don't like the color combo 
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    I too vote for the small BGE.  It is by far my most used Egg and worth every penny.  It is really versatile.  I think I’ve used it three times this week.  Get the nest and some 4 inch casters and you have a very comfortable grill height.  Then add the CGS gear and you can do anything with it.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis