Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

First sous vide chicken

I didn't like using a pot when running the anova for the first time. Ordered the Anova tub, what the heck just more money, for the next try.
Decided to cook chicken breast.
Seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic and thyme. Set temperature to 145°, next time I'll drop it to 140°, for one and a half hours. Then patted breast dry and seared 2 minutes a side.
It was very juicy but the texture a little stringy.
OK for first run though.


After pulling from tub before finishing 


Finished dish


Trying shrimp tomorrow 

By the way Mrs.C likes  the sous vide circulater.

Fort Wayne Indiana 

Comments

  • RRPRRP Posts: 24,291
    Never knew they made a special pot, but I improvised another vessel which works quite well and isn't a storage issue for me.

    Sous vide MAY take a little practice to get used to, but once reached it is GREAT!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • MasterCMasterC Posts: 685
    The tub seals nicely, didn't have the evaporation I experienced with the pot.
    Their not cheap but saved 36 bucks at kohl's with  coupons, courtesy of Mrs.C
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Langner91Langner91 Posts: 783
    Nice!  I love mine.  I haven't nailed chicken yet.  But, I made some double bone pork chops that were wonderful!  


    Clinton, Iowa
  • Why would you want to cook chicken at 140 degrees?in all the SV chicken recipes I have ever seen, I have never seen a recommended temp of 140.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • MasterCMasterC Posts: 685
    Why would you want to cook chicken at 140 degrees?in all the SV chicken recipes I have ever seen, I have never seen a recommended temp of 140.

    Videos on  YouTube show temperatures range from 130 to 150 for boneless skinless chicken breast for a variety of times. The apps. have temperatures in that range also.

    What do you recommend? This technique is new to me so advise is welcome.

    Thanks.

    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 39,121
    Why would you want to cook chicken at 140 degrees?in all the SV chicken recipes I have ever seen, I have never seen a recommended temp of 140.
    I haven't cooked them via SV in a while but I used to run at 147F for some reason I don't remember.    I never really played around with it much, but I found this as the first hit on google "sv chicken breast temp".


    They start at 140F and list changes in texture, etc up to 160F. 

    I think there's not really a correct temp, but people getting something "different" than they're used to may bias them to not liking it.  The texture on lower than 160F SV chicken breast is def different.
    ______________________________________________
    Just a regular guy that likes to do regular things.
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 10,425
    147 for a couple hrs followed by a pan sear is our preferred texture. For some reason I’ve noticed the stringy texture that you mentioned when I brown/sear over open flame.  

    As Nola posted Serious Eats has a wealth of knowledge on SV.  You should do some reading on pasteurization times for different meats for your own safety. 

    -----------------------------------------


    2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,245
    I've found that 150 degrees for 90 minutes is my sweet spot.

    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert.
  • MasterCMasterC Posts: 685
    Thanks for everyone's response.

    Does anyone have a go to for shrimp? That's tonight's protein.

    As RRP stated, it will take practice, but that's half the fun.
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Langner91Langner91 Posts: 783
    I do 128°F -130°F for 30 minutes on shrimp with no sear.
    123-125 if I am going to wave them over more heat.

    From serious eats:

    Sous Vide Shrimp Cooking Temperature

    125°F Translucent, semi-raw with a soft, buttery texture. 
    130°F Nearly opaque, very tender with a hint of firmness. 
    135°F Barely opaque, moist, juicy, and tender. 
    140°F  Traditional poached texture with good bounce and a crisp, juicy bite. 
    Clinton, Iowa
  • MasterCMasterC Posts: 685
    Absent minded here, can you start with frozen shrimp? If yes how much extra time would you estimate at 130°
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Langner91Langner91 Posts: 783
    I have.  It will depend on the size / amount, of course.  When I did it, I put them in for another 10 minutes.  I think I googled that and a few recipes gave times from frozen that were about 10 minutes longer.

    They thaw pretty quickly as long as you don't have a large mass of them all frozen together.


    Clinton, Iowa
  • MasterCMasterC Posts: 685
    Langner91 said:
    I have.  It will depend on the size / amount, of course.  When I did it, I put them in for another 10 minutes.  I think I googled that and a few recipes gave times from frozen that were about 10 minutes longer.

    They thaw pretty quickly as long as you don't have a large mass of them all frozen together.


    Thank you. 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • MasterCMasterC Posts: 685
    The shrimp are just stupid good
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Langner91Langner91 Posts: 783
    I am not sure I will ever buy cooked shrimp again, unless I am feeding my kids or the neighbors.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Mark_B_GoodMark_B_Good Posts: 924
    MasterC said:
    The shrimp are just stupid good
    They look stupid good too!!! Now post the friggin recipe would you??? (or have you already, and I was just too lazy not to scroll up??).
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • MasterCMasterC Posts: 685
    MasterC said:
    The shrimp are just stupid good
    They look stupid good too!!! Now post the friggin recipe would you??? (or have you already, and I was just too lazy not to scroll up??).
    Very simple. 
    I put 12 lg shrimp in a foodsaver bag along with 2tbsp butter, 1/2 tsp of baking soda and 1 an 1/2 tsp Dizzy Pig Bayouish blackening season. Vacuum sealed and placed in the water bath for 45 minutes at 135°. Delicious, the butter sauce...dang

    Changed up the seasoning a few times, almost gone through a 2lb. bag of lg shrimp. MrsC likes Pineapple Head, plain I like spicy,  we've also tried Tsunami Spin and Big Green Egg Citris and Herb. All of these were good but Bayouish...yeah 

    We did salmon last night sorry no picks but I was told to do it again. Pictures will follow
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 39,121
    imagepng
    ______________________________________________
    Just a regular guy that likes to do regular things.
  • GlennMGlennM Posts: 1,139
    MasterC said:
    MasterC said:
    The shrimp are just stupid good
    They look stupid good too!!! Now post the friggin recipe would you??? (or have you already, and I was just too lazy not to scroll up??).
    Very simple. 
    I put 12 lg shrimp in a foodsaver bag along with 2tbsp butter, 1/2 tsp of baking soda and 1 an 1/2 tsp Dizzy Pig Bayouish blackening season. Vacuum sealed and placed in the water bath for 45 minutes at 135°. Delicious, the butter sauce...dang

    Changed up the seasoning a few times, almost gone through a 2lb. bag of lg shrimp. MrsC likes Pineapple Head, plain I like spicy,  we've also tried Tsunami Spin and Big Green Egg Citris and Herb. All of these were good but Bayouish...yeah 

    We did salmon last night sorry no picks but I was told to do it again. Pictures will follow
    Do you mean baking powder? My wife put baking soda on wings once and we had to trash them 
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • MasterCMasterC Posts: 685
    GlennM said:
    MasterC said:
    MasterC said:
    The shrimp are just stupid good
    They look stupid good too!!! Now post the friggin recipe would you??? (or have you already, and I was just too lazy not to scroll up??).
    Very simple. 
    I put 12 lg shrimp in a foodsaver bag along with 2tbsp butter, 1/2 tsp of baking soda and 1 an 1/2 tsp Dizzy Pig Bayouish blackening season. Vacuum sealed and placed in the water bath for 45 minutes at 135°. Delicious, the butter sauce...dang

    Changed up the seasoning a few times, almost gone through a 2lb. bag of lg shrimp. MrsC likes Pineapple Head, plain I like spicy,  we've also tried Tsunami Spin and Big Green Egg Citris and Herb. All of these were good but Bayouish...yeah 

    We did salmon last night sorry no picks but I was told to do it again. Pictures will follow
    Do you mean baking powder? My wife put baking soda on wings once and we had to trash them 
    Baking soda. 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 11,293
    MasterC said:
    GlennM said:
    MasterC said:
    MasterC said:
    The shrimp are just stupid good
    They look stupid good too!!! Now post the friggin recipe would you??? (or have you already, and I was just too lazy not to scroll up??).
    Very simple. 
    I put 12 lg shrimp in a foodsaver bag along with 2tbsp butter, 1/2 tsp of baking soda and 1 an 1/2 tsp Dizzy Pig Bayouish blackening season. Vacuum sealed and placed in the water bath for 45 minutes at 135°. Delicious, the butter sauce...dang

    Changed up the seasoning a few times, almost gone through a 2lb. bag of lg shrimp. MrsC likes Pineapple Head, plain I like spicy,  we've also tried Tsunami Spin and Big Green Egg Citris and Herb. All of these were good but Bayouish...yeah 

    We did salmon last night sorry no picks but I was told to do it again. Pictures will follow
    Do you mean baking powder? My wife put baking soda on wings once and we had to trash them 
    Baking soda. 
    What does the baking soda do?
    Thank you,
    Darian

    Galveston Texas
  • MasterCMasterC Posts: 685
    edited January 15
    I tried with and without. It plumps and gives a little more pop to the bite. Suttle change but noticeable when side by side comparison.

    Picked up another bag of shrimp yesterday 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 16,036
    MasterC said:
    The shrimp are just stupid good
    Raichlen's gonna steal this pic for sure. Outstanding.

    #1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 16,036
    Langner91 said:
    I am not sure I will ever buy cooked shrimp again, unless I am feeding my kids or the neighbors.
    People buy cooked shrimp? Do you not like your kids? (jk)

    #1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.