Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Question about sugar in rubs

I know sugar in rubs will burn when exposed to high heat, but does that hold true if not directly exposed?

I just picked up some rubs that I want to try on a spatchcocked chicken but it has sugar in it. I was thinking of just using spog on the outside and putting the rub under the skin. Any issues with that?

Comments

• GulfcoastguyGulfcoastguy Posts: 4,763
    Just keep the temperature down , maybe 350F and get the chicken up to gasket level.
  • You are definitely safe indirect.  You are safe direct as well for quick cooks.  I use a sugar based rub all the time on salmon grilled direct.  Great for caramelization and browning. 
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 8,530
    edited January 8
    Keep it low till the end, but

Another reason to make your own rubs, add the sugar towards the end 
    Visalia, Ca

LGBE- Pit's by Klose Trailer -Stumps XL Stretch - Custom Santa Maria-Modified HD Offset Smoker Reverse Flow- FatStack Smoker FS120 coming soon FatStack 500- Blackstone 36 Blackstone 22 - Custom Cold Smoke House and a lonely Brinkman Vertical Smoker