Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggfeast recommendations

Options
Hello Eggheads, received some bad news the Georgia Mountain Egg Feast has been shut down. My wife and I have have been going for years and having a great time and enjoy all all the good times and great people. With that being said is there any other location that is on the same scale? What are some recommendations we are willing to travel. 
Thank you Jerry

Comments

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    Dang. Didn't realize you meant for good. 
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    I was just on their site yesterday and it said 5/14/22 @10am. Where did you read of this? This was the perfect fest. Lots of shade and not a million people. Awesome surroundings. 
    @egret John can you fill us in? 
    Snellville, GA

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I was just on their site yesterday and it said 5/14/22 @10am. Where did you read of this? This was the perfect fest. Lots of shade and not a million people. Awesome surroundings. 
    @egret John can you fill us in? 
    John has posted about this on Facebook.  It is indeed cancelled, unfortunately.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Dang that sucks. So did he say it was cancelled for good or for this year? I don’t have facebook or I would look myself. 
    Snellville, GA

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Thanks for the update. You have done a heck of a job in the past with the eggfest. Im sorry to see it go but look forward to the minifest. 
    Snellville, GA

• Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    I hate that. That was my favorite food related event. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    egret said:
    I'm sorry to inform you that we are going to discontinue operation of our GA Mt. Eggfest. This is mainly due to BGE introducing a minimum advertised pricing policy that makes it impossible to sell the eggs at a price that would allow us any chance of success.
    We are, however, changing our structure next year and are switching our format to a minifest sort of event where the cooks bring their personal eggs or any other cooker to spend 3 days with your fellow eggheads cooking for each other. No paid attendees, i.e., no "tasters", we're just cooking for each other. We have a beautiful setting right on the fairgrounds with an amazing view and will have a large tent set up and security on site for three nights so all your belongings for the entire fest will be safe. The dates are May 12th - 15th, 2022. If you've never been to a minifest, you're going to be surprised how much fun this is compared to a regular eggfest. Here’s a great write-up from Chris Grove that gives a detailed account of what the Poolman Minifest is like: https://www.nibblemethis.com/2021/02/event-preview-mini-fest-at-tuckaway.html?m=1&fbclid=IwAR0wJ667oMhIo52pZnAXUxa3bupW0hhAf3fPOs4bben18HK488W5CmprvwI
    If you don't have a travel egg, you can bring anything you care to for cooking, including a Blackstone, or the big "W" word. This is just a gathering of passionate grillers that know how to have a good time, which includes almost all of us !!
    The Venue of the Poolman Mini Fest kinds sets the boundaries and makes this event a true Mini Fest. Only so many rooms at the hotel and such. Like the Frozen Fest in MN.
    Hosting a Mini Fest at the Fairgrounds, how will you actually stop it from being overwhelmed by more guests than people who came prepared to cook?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I don’t see how BGE corporate wouldn’t fall over themselves to support an event of this stature.

I’m no marketing (or other) genius, but this just seems terribly myopic on their part. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    egret said:
    I'm sorry to inform you that we are going to discontinue operation of our GA Mt. Eggfest. This is mainly due to BGE introducing a minimum advertised pricing policy that makes it impossible to sell the eggs at a price that would allow us any chance of success.
    We are, however, changing our structure next year and are switching our format to a minifest sort of event where the cooks bring their personal eggs or any other cooker to spend 3 days with your fellow eggheads cooking for each other. No paid attendees, i.e., no "tasters", we're just cooking for each other. We have a beautiful setting right on the fairgrounds with an amazing view and will have a large tent set up and security on site for three nights so all your belongings for the entire fest will be safe. The dates are May 12th - 15th, 2022. If you've never been to a minifest, you're going to be surprised how much fun this is compared to a regular eggfest. Here’s a great write-up from Chris Grove that gives a detailed account of what the Poolman Minifest is like: https://www.nibblemethis.com/2021/02/event-preview-mini-fest-at-tuckaway.html?m=1&fbclid=IwAR0wJ667oMhIo52pZnAXUxa3bupW0hhAf3fPOs4bben18HK488W5CmprvwI
    If you don't have a travel egg, you can bring anything you care to for cooking, including a Blackstone, or the big "W" word. This is just a gathering of passionate grillers that know how to have a good time, which includes almost all of us !!
    The Venue of the Poolman Mini Fest kinds sets the boundaries and makes this event a true Mini Fest. Only so many rooms at the hotel and such. Like the Frozen Fest in MN.
    Hosting a Mini Fest at the Fairgrounds, how will you actually stop it from being overwhelmed by more guests than people who came prepared to cook?
    Good point. Guests trying to take part won't be a problem since we're not having the event at the usual place and we're not advertising it. Also, only cooks from last year have been notified so far to give them the first chance to attend and it's RSVP. Not sure how you got a copy of this message I sent out, but, I may open it up to more cooks after a period of time.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    egret said:
    Photo Egg said:
    egret said:
    Good point. Guests trying to take part won't be a problem since we're not having the event at the usual place and we're not advertising it. Also, only cooks from last year have been notified so far to give them the first chance to attend and it's RSVP. Not sure how you got a copy of this message I sent out, but, I may open it up to more cooks after a period of time.
    I didn’t get a copy.
    It was posted above. Hence my question. The public already knows.
    But plenty of time to make up a secret hand shake. Ha Ha
    Bottom line, Sorry to see the original fest go under. By far one of my favorites John.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    caliking said:
    I don’t see how BGE corporate wouldn’t fall over themselves to support an event of this stature.

I’m no marketing (or other) genius, but this just seems terribly myopic on their part. 
    I think they are now trying to protect their sales at True Value. And True Value has the muscle to make BGE enforce this.
    Imagine how many full price sales are lost because of Egg Fest prices.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    caliking said:

I think they are now trying to protect their sales at True Value. And True Value has the muscle to make BGE enforce this.
    True Value always has the option of sponsoring a fest. Thereby locking in customers for lump and accessories. Instead my local True Value doesn’t even put on the demonstrations advertised in their national emails.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    caliking said:

Yes, just imagine that !! Imagine how many sales are lost to dealers because of the Eggtoberfest whereby BGE Corp. prices the eggs lower than dealer price and they sell 200-300 on that one day........despicable behavior and policy from a manufacturer.......
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    For the OP:  The egg fest in Pensacola https://pensacolaeggfest.com/#About 
    and the one in central Florida (https://www.chainoflakeseggfest.com/) seem travel worthy. 

Couple thoughts about Mountain Egg. 

Here’s the presentation where Middleby justifies recent purchase of Kamado Joe and Masterbuilt. Doesn’t include their even more recent acquisition of Char Griller. I wonder if they would see the value of 5,000 people tasting food off of their portfolio of cookers that weekend, even if they raffled or gave away the used stuff. (Or what if BGE converted to a raffle for all demo eggs instead of presale). 

https://middlebycorporation.gcs-web.com/static-files/747ec24d-19e9-420b-b14b-08f64013a06e

This old PR thread for an issue with a demo purchase was memorable to me not because of the warranty go-round but because the demo egg prices $650 with 2 free taster tickets and have to take home that day) were comparable to an Ace “egg only” price $600 (any day no wait) at the time.  

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    caliking said:

True Value always has the option of sponsoring a fest. Thereby locking in customers for lump and accessories. Instead my local True Value doesn’t even put on the demonstrations advertised in their national emails.
    I don’t disagree with you.
    But even true value will not likely be able to pull off an Eggfest with the new rules in place where you can’t advertise a low price to bring in the buyers in big numbers to support the sales of the Demo Eggs needed for the Eggfest.
    This is what killed the Georgia Mountain Fest.
    I have been to past Eggfests sponsored by a true value.
    I’m not defending BGE on this. I truly believe the popularity of the BGE was greatly increased by the Eggfests. Now BGE believes they no longer need Eggfests to spread the word.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    egret said:
    Photo Egg said:
    caliking said:

Yes, just imagine that !! Imagine how many sales are lost to dealers because of the Eggtoberfest whereby BGE Corp. prices the eggs lower than dealer price and they sell 200-300 on that one day........despicable behavior and policy from a manufacturer.......
    The advertised prices I saw listed at the last Eggtoberfest were high compared to the local Texas Fests. I guess we will see if BGE follows their own rules?
    I have always supported the independent Eggfests in the past. Never been to the BGE Eggtoberfest.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    egret said:
    Photo Egg said:
    caliking said:

The advertised prices I saw listed at the last Eggtoberfest were high compared to the local Texas Fests. I guess we will see if BGE follows their own rules?
    I have always supported the independent Eggfests in the past. Never been to the BGE Eggtoberfest.
    Darian didn’t you make it toPat’s Fest?
    It’s the one i always wanted to go to and now living part time in Florida I hope to make. 
    Back in the Salado Fest days the dealer was getting the discount directly from the distributor. Live was much easier. That way we could put them on without charging anyone anything. Not the fun anymore. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• littlerascal56
    Options
    Just bought a Oklahoma Joes Bronco drum cooker at my local ACE hardware.  They were not stocking any BGE or KJ products.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Photo Egg said:
    egret said:
    Photo Egg said:
    caliking said:

Darian didn’t you make it toPat’s Fest?
    It’s the one i always wanted to go to and now living part time in Florida I hope to make. 
    Back in the Salado Fest days the dealer was getting the discount directly from the distributor. Live was much easier. That way we could put them on without charging anyone anything. Not the fun anymore. 
    No, I never made it to Pat’s fest. The photos from the past Fests always look like so much fun! Something else always go in the way.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • wowspremium
    Options
    b0atnutz said:
    Hello Eggheads, received some bad news the Georgia Mountain Egg Feast has been shut down. My wife and I have have been going for years and having a great time and enjoy all all the good times and great people. With that being said is there any other location that is on the same scale? What are some recommendations we are willing to travel. 
    Thank you Jerry
    Happy Journey
  • Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Options
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,373
    Options
    BBQ store and more in New Haven, Indiana on Sat June 4th.

Pictures from last year

Mrs C and I will be cooking it up.
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    Keep an eye out for the EggFest For Eastern Delaware and Upper Pennsylvania.  I’ve heard it’s wild.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike