Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chestnuts over the coals… actually a delicious holiday treat

Options
Not sure why it’s taken me so long to try this, but simple chestnuts roasting over an open fire just like the Christmas song is actually delicious. 

Video for complete details - https://youtu.be/axCtbq2IZMk

I went with the rotisserie and basket but you can do it in a cast iron pan over the coals just as well. 

Aim for about 400f/203c direct 

Score the nuts with a pairing knife putting an X on the flat side. This will prevent them from exploding 

Cook for 12 min. Serve immediately with some smoked sea salt. Enjoy 

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    covered the deck and front of the house one xmas with those =)  missed the part about stabbing the x in them. once they start popping, theres no stopping it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Way to think outside of the box with that cook. Great video!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    Used to love those as a kid. The scoring always seemed to have an element of danger, and we didn't have filet gloves then.

Do you need to score the flat side? Seems they'd be more stable cutting on the other side.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    Kayak said:
    Used to love those as a kid. The scoring always seemed to have an element of danger, and we didn't have filet gloves then.

Do you need to score the flat side? Seems they'd be more stable cutting on the other side.

The directions I followed said the flat side but I agree that seems more dangerous… glad I had cut proof oyster gloves