Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime rib paste

Options
Gents. Just ordered and paid for prime rib….local butcher gonna remove and re-truss bones. What is the paste to season with instead of just plain ole S&P? Planning on a Christmas Day feasting. 300° till about 125-130 IT then rolling it hard for a good sear on my gasser. Thanks in advance 

Comments

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    I find because the cut is so thick on the prime rib, you can afford to have a fairly intense seasoning ... typical choices for binder is either yellow mustard or mayonnaise ... yellow mustard will give the more intense flavor.

For seasoning, I've been using this recipe lately, and it is just incredible. You'll probably need 3/4 cup to properly season a big rib roast.

1 part kosher salt
    1 part crushed black pepper
    1.5 parts smoked paprika
    0.5 parts sage
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Eggpharmer
    Options
    1 T each beef base, Worcestershire, and fish sauce
    Head of garlic
    Handful of rosemary
    Lots of black pepper
    Olive oil to right consistency, about 1/3 cup

Blend in food processor or blender then apply
    Austin, TX
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I use the better than boullion beef or seasoned vegetable. Get the paste in the jar, smear just enough to make it tacky, then I use lots of black pepper, fresh garlic, and fresh chopped rosemary. 

Go a touch lighter on the salt obviously, but I also salt my roast a few days before cooking. 

Comes out excellent every year with a great salty and savory crust. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    Take a wooden spoon handle.  Along the fat cap make pairs of side by side holes down into the meat for the length of the meat with the handle.   Press in cold butter pieces garlic and your seasoning blend. I use thyme and rosemary as well.  Cap it with a chunk of cold butter.  Once it's nearly done try a balsamic or maple glaze as a finisher..  

Columbus, Ohio
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    It’s beef man, keep it simple, just S&P.   Done it like that for years, never disappoints.   
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Cornholio said:
    I use rosemary, thyme, garlic mixed with room temp butter and slather it up. 

Both times I tried to slather butter like that it wanted to stick to my skin, not the meat. Is there a trick to it!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    FATC1TY said:
    I use the better than boullion beef or seasoned vegetable. Get the paste in the jar, smear just enough to make it tacky, then ...
    That's a really interesting idea.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    Cornholio said:
    I use rosemary, thyme, garlic mixed with room temp butter and slather it up. 

Both times I tried to slather butter like that it wanted to stick to my skin, not the meat. Is there a trick to it!
    I give it a little bit of S&P and in the fridge uncovered for several hours then coat it. I also noticed that it helps to have the butter at room temp but not too soft. So maybe the butter was too soft or too hard? And the drier surface from the fridge helps. 

Doing one next week so I’ll pay more attention and revert. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I know you were asking for a "paste" but instead I'm offering this terrific rub that I swear by and have made for years. You WON'T be sorry if you use it!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.